Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tkh1957

Plant suggestion

Teresa Halley
8 years ago
This winter did a number to two tall evergreens that are on each side of the sidewalk. My husband pulled them out. We can't seen to find a dwarf bush to go there. Any suggestions! We really don't want anything that gets large in diameter or really tall.

Comments (28)

• Vicki Denson
    8 years ago

Can you post a picture without the two evergreens? Right now I'm thinking put in a railing?

• Teresa Halley
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here without bushes
  • Kathleen Marineau
    8 years ago

I agree with a decorative railing along the porch, perhaps in white so the columns don't look so lonely. There are some nice styles in vinyl that hold up to weather without needing to be repainted every year.

I'm surprised the evergreen roots didn't damage the steps or walkway. In my opinion the porch and house are more inviting without the imposing green sentries.

I suggest going with something lighter than an evergreen since the brick and porch roof are so substantial. If you put in a railing you could add lattice work along side the steps all the way up to the top of the columns then put a climbing vine in. Depending on where you live, you can experiment with seasonal color, such as sweet peas or scarlet runner bean. If you want a perenial I'd suggest one of the jasmines, depending on your climate.

My idea is for the lattice to be decorative on it's own.

I see you have potted plants on the porch, perhaps you could build an open bookcase type structure to display some of your lovely flowers.

If you decide on a railing and can put some potted plants on it, you may not need to replace the lost evergreens. Just add some color in the planting beds, maybe something with leaves that turn purple or red in the fall.

I can be more specific if you can tell me your planting zone.

• mramsey
    8 years ago

I'm a big fan of planters in such a prominent spot, that way you can change the plantings with the season. If that appeals to you, make sure they are big enough (think 1/2 barrel size) to avoid having to water too often. For instance, you can place a small evergreen tree for Christmas season or branches of holly/evergreen branches if your zone is too cold, pot up bulbs in 1/2 gallon pots and plunk them in the spring-camouflage the pot rims with moss. Out they come in summer in favour of geraniums or begonias etc. Mind you, this is my idea of a good time and I have a greenhouse... If you are not a keen gardener, then I think it actually looks quite nice without any plantings.

• Teresa Halley
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I just purchased two black urns. I like the idea of flowers to being in some color.
  • Kathleen Marineau
    8 years ago

Only 3 months to chrysathemum season! Bright gold or red in black urns = perfection.

• medusa11365
    8 years ago

Your column bases are beautiful. I think it looks wonderful now that they're uncovered. I would prefer a low garden in front so I can see the bases, and the horizontal line of the porch floor. I would remove the shrubs in the photos that are poorly pruned (top heavy and sparse), and replace with a mix of low growing evergreen shrubs for winter (there are lovely low growing azaleas), annuals for summer-long color, textured groundcovers.

• Kathleen Marineau
    8 years ago

tkh1957: I'd like to see new photos as you make changes.

• Teresa Halley
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I am in northwestern Pennsylvania in a woods so I have a lot of deer around. My hollies didn't like this past winter.....a lot of dead growth on them as you can see. The right side of my house has a whole row of hollies and they look bad too. I hate to rip out everything and spend a lot of money. I like the look of the hanging pots but it's vinyl siding up there and my husband doesn't want to drill in it.
  • n247080
    8 years ago

I think last winter did you a favor. Your home has so much wonderful charm. The trees definitely detracted from the look.

Keep in mind, anything you put in that area to replace the trees can always be pruned to maintain a shorter and narrower height. It's simply more work.

I like the idea of adding low fencing around the porch, painted white. While you're researching what you may want to do with landscaping that area, you might consider putting in 2 tall, large planters with a pop of color and filling them with flowers.

You've got a great space to work with. It might be worth spending the summer looking at other homes in the area to see what others are using for color and foliage that ISN'T being touched by the deer. See what's already being used that you like. You'll save yourself a lot of trial and error in the long run.

• medusa11365
    8 years ago

If that's winter damage, then cut the shrub back past the damage. As long as you don't go too far into old wood it will probably come back fresh. But it will NEVER heal fully if you allow the undamaged sections to grow past the damage. You'll have holes and they'll never look good again. For such a lovely porch, it would be better to have no shrub than a damaged one.

• lucidos
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Tkh the pots hang from a gutter on a hook. There are even extensions you can purchase to hang a pot lower.

I agree that those trees are better off gone. There is nothing of that height that would look well in the front of your home. Although low fencing or a thin rock wall is sometimes used between the craftsman columns I am not a fan of it for your home. You home extends past the entry on both sides and the fencing will make it look too heavy in the center. You want to keep the front low and light.

Something I noticed was that the roof looks as if it is only partially hanging on the columns. Another 2 x 4 across that front would make that design look better. You could even affix the hanging plants to it.

That being said we are not seeing the entire front of the home to the street. In order to give you the best design option we need the whole picture.

• diyer59
    8 years ago

It was a good thing those died, they didn't look right at all and took away from your entry. I'd put in something with color--you already have enough green.

• mazisoler
    8 years ago

I agree with Medusa 11365; the bases look lovely and low growing variety azaleas are a great idea. if it is a must to have something by the columns I would suggest to put two urns on either outer sides of the two columns and full with, again, low growing azaleas or dwarf variety, all year flowering rose bushes.

• Kathleen Marineau
    8 years ago

We also have vinyl siding on the ceiling of our porch. I ruled out hanging plants for the same reason. We already have problems with hornets trying to get behind the siding to nest. I'm not sure about hanging pots from gutters, I know ours wouldn't take the weight.

Excellent suggestion to look around your town for shrub ideas. Personally I'd give the holly another season and some selective pruning. Hollies are great for winter interest. Maybe they need some supplement food to strengthen them for this next winter. You could ask at a local nursery, not a big box store.

• nauna
    8 years ago

Perhaps previous posters have already addressed
    this, but several things are vital for long-term sustainability of any
    perennial landscaping. Knowing the USDA Gardening & Plant Hardiness zone
    you live in is imperative, the ph level of the soil, whether the plant needs shade or sun, whether it needs lots of moisture or is drought tolerant, & knowing not to plant shrubs in the heat of summer, will determine the success of the plantings.

Pennsylvania ranges from USDA Zone 5a
    to 7b. Also, knowing which plants are more deer tolerant than others
    will add to your sanity. Each state has a university with an Extension
    department that addresses agriculture/landscaping specific to their climate.
    Penn State Extension has a wonderful brochure that you can download &
    print. A Guide for Selecting Shrubs for Pennsylvania
    Landscapes”
    can be downloaded at: http://extension.psu.edu/publications/uj257 It will also
    tell you the mature size of the plant/bush. Make your shrub selection for
    mature size (not how it looks this summer), sun & water requirements &
    whether it is fast or slow growing. Tags attached to the plants should list the
    requirements. Always check plant requirements.

The next Penn State brochure lists
    plants less browsed by deer: http://extension.psu.edu/plants/master-gardener/counties/pike/publications/list-of-deer-resistance-plants

When
    purchasing plants for your region, go to a reputable local nursery, not a big
    box store. Big box stores stock everything, regardless of whether it will
    thrive in your region. Local nurseries are better about stocking for the local
    zone, etc. & they are excellent resources for what grows best in your
    region. The nursery in my town puts labels in every plant that is deer
    resistant. (Nothing is deer proof, but less browsed.)

Soil tests are also important. Soil certainly influences whether a plant thrives or not. Penn State Extension addresses it
    here: http://extension.psu.edu/plants/master-gardener/counties/monroe/soil-testing

Planting shrubs in the heat of summer (like July/August), is detrimental to promoting a healthy shrub. The roots can not absorb water fast enough to sustain the growth above ground. Wait till fall, or spring, when days have cooled off.

If
    you select shrubs/landscaping after consulting the above University brochures,
    you’ll be off to a great start & less likely to be starting over in a few
    years. Happy planting.

(No
    I don’t live in Penn. nor do I have any connection to them. However, I am a
    certified Master Gardener in another state & have experienced the value of
    University Extension departments in many states. Google yours to find a wealth
    of knowledge.)

• kellyslobodian
    8 years ago

not so sure rail around porch does not make it seem small and uninviting closed off at most would put rail on steps or fan out low perennials or shrubs along front walkway.

do not miss green trees,hydrangeas Annabelle or depending on climate low blooming yes Azaleas is it Oconee or Encores that bloom longer Also keeping porch open with pretty furniture and pot or two.Welcoming....

• lucidos
    8 years ago

Encore Azaleas and the newer Bloom-a-Thon Azaleas both bloom in the spring and re-bloom in the summer and fall. The Oconee is April/May.

• nauna
    8 years ago

What Plant Hardiness Zone are you in?? Azaleas are hardy to zone 6. You also need acidic soil for them to bloom & thrive.

http://www.encoreazalea.com/resources/find-your-zone/

• evehope
    8 years ago

First of all, I really like your house. It's very inviting already and probably anything you do will look fabulous. You asked for suggestions to replace the tall trees you just took out, so here's mine..............

You could try a dwarf variety of some sort of deciduous tree placed a little further from your walkway and steps than were the original evergreens. Japanese maples or something even a little taller could look lovely.

As long as you keep them trimmed, they will not take over and will add grace to the approach to your house. During the summer the leaves would soften the entry. In winter when the branches are bare, there would be some additional light getting through to your porch. Snow or raindrops will outline every branch and add changing interest during the winter months.

• Teresa Halley
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Planted a white peony where the tall evergreen one. I also put some flowers in some urns.
  • Kathleen Marineau
    8 years ago

Looking forward to spring 2016, when it should reward your efforts.

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

I absolutely love peonies however I planted mine with too much soil on them (too deep) & they haven't bloomed since. It is really a good idea to read about the best planting time & depth. I did the same with my wisteria & they never blossomed! No green thumb here!!

• suezbell
    8 years ago

Have you considered a pair of planters w/trellis on the back?

• kpappal
    8 years ago
    TKH1957, I a

Leo live in Northwestern Pennsylvania! Our holly bushes took a hit the winter 2 winters ago. I picked off the dead leaves, and they came back just fine.
  • kpappal
    8 years ago
    That should read "I also live in N.W. Pennsylvania". I like the planters much better than the tall shrubs!
  • Teresa Halley
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I cut off a lot of the dead on all my hollys. They look pretty sad but I hope they come out of it.