Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_7236091

Is this clover in my St. Augustine??

Debo214
8 years ago

I've been trying to promote my St. Augustine to grow and spread over my lawn. This clover like stuff is growing amongst my grass is the shaded areas of my lawn. I've read differing opinions on letting clover (if that's what this is) grow in your yard. Some say leave it cause it adds nitrogen and some say it will hinder the growth of my St. Augustine. I'm worried that it may be promoting the gray leaf spot I have by holding moisture around my grass.
If I need to eradicate it what's the best way? I use organic material to feed my soil and wouldn't want to harm my Microherd but not opposed to chemicals that won't have and effect on them.

Comments (9)

• blackdirt_cowboy
    8 years ago

Clover is tough to kill chemically as well. 2,4-d will burn it but it usually comes back. Where are you from? Where I live the clover is a cooler season plant and has died out by now. If you can spray the clover when it is newly emerged, 2,4-d will kill it it may take a couple of applications though.

Debo214 thanked blackdirt_cowboy
  • Debo214
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you dchall! I was hoping you'd see my post. I've been following your advice that you gave me on another forum (and have read just about everything you've ever posted-lol)

I've been spreading cracked corn (all I can find in central FL) I've done 2 applications (also put down milorganite a couple of times and alfalfa pellets and I've sprayed companion in the effected spots). I water only when my st. Augustine shows signs of stress and put down 1" all at one time. Mother Nature has not been playing nice and is lightly showering us almost every evening so that's not helping with the disease.

Half my yard is st. Augustine and the other half is a smorgasbord of weeds, crabgrass, sedge and Bermuda. You have adviced me to go 2 weeks in between mowing the st. Augustine and I have started doing that. (I make sure to mulch mow those tall clippings in very well!)

As for this "clover" I have yet to see any sort of flower growing on it. And it grows very short, only an inch or two.

• Debo214
    Original Author
    8 years ago

cowboy- I live in central Florida. I'm not convinced this is a true "clover" I just don't know what else to call it.

• dchall_san_antonio
    8 years ago

"(and have read just about everything you've ever posted-lol)"

You can never get those hours back.

If you haven't seen any flowers and you're mowing every other week, then it's not Dutch white clover. But anyway, WBG-CCO should kill it out if the 2-week mowing interval is not doing it.

Mother Nature can be a problem. If you're watering only when it shows signs of stress, about how long is that interval (without the rains)? In San Antonio I have not yet started to irrigate. I'm about to do some watering in Bandera (slightly dryer and much less shade).

Can you please post a picture showing the overall lawn?

• Debo214
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

"Mother Nature can be a problem. If you're watering only when it shows signs of stress, about how long is that interval (without the rains)? In San Antonio I have not yet started to irrigate. I'm about to do some watering in Bandera (slightly dryer and much less shade).

Can you please post a picture showing the overall lawn?"

I watered yesterday and before that it has been several weeks (except for spot watering on new plugs)

The shaded area and the area in front of the main part of the house is where the St. Augustine is growing.

• Debo214
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This shows better contrast. You can see the crabgrass garden Ive got going on. :-/

• dchall_san_antonio
    8 years ago

What I would do is to

1. fertilize only the St Augustine.
    2. Mow at the highest setting and allow the St Aug to go 2 weeks.
    3. Water deep and infrequent like we talk about and "favor" the St Aug. Your grass in the shade will need water less often than the grass out in the full sun. Don't water when the crabgrass looks dry. Water when the St Aug out in the sun looks dry. The shady grass will appreciate it, and it still won't encourage weeds. Crabgrass is a summer annual plant that thrives in the heat and full sun.

With your lot size it's going to take a year or so for the St Augustine to completely grow out and take over. If you wanted to speed up that process, put a couple pieces of St Aug sod around amongst the weeds and do the 1,2,3 above. As the runners spread out, you have to fertilize along the runners, too. I use organics to fertilize so I'm not at all worried about over applying fertilizer. If you have access to the Floratam variety of St Augustine, use that out in the sun.

1. If you want to use a spray weed killer, you cannot use normal Weed-B-Gone with 2,4-d in it. You have to use atrazine. Everything else seems to kill St Augustine. Here's one you can get at Walmart.

Read the directions carefully. This stuff is not to be trifled with. You have to walk backwards as you spray so you don't walk through the wet grass. That makes planning your route slightly more important. Don't paint yourself into a corner where you can't get out. And you can only spray it twice in a year, so choose your timing wisely. Remember you are only wetting the weeds, not drenching the soil with it. It can take 2 weeks before you see the first signs of the weeds dieing, but "suddenly" they'll all be dieing. All you need to spray is around the St Augustine runners. I would leave the rest of the weeds to grow until the St Augustine spreads to fill it all in. When you spray around the runners, that kills the weeds around the runners giving them more light and soil to expand into. And you don't need to spray in the middle of the dense St Augustine except where you have the clovery stuff growing. Once it gets pretty dense it fights off the weeds by itself. Also rather than connecting a bottle like that directly to a hose I connect through another nozzle with a valve so I can turn the flow on and off. Those are cheap at Home Depot or Lowe's. Here's a link to a picture.

Cheap hose-end valve.

• Debo214
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My reply:

What I would do is to

1. fertilize only the St Augustine.- I HAVE NOT BEEN DOUNG THIS SO I WILL START! I HAVE BEEN FEEDING THE EMTIRE FRONT YARD.
    2. Mow at the highest setting and allow the St Aug to go 2 weeks.- I AM CURRENTLY DOING THIS. MY QUESTION IS; IS IT OK TO MOW THE REST OF THE YARD TO KEEP IT TIDY?
    3. Water deep and infrequent like we talk about and "favor" the St Aug. Your grass in the shade will need water less often than the grass out in the full sun. Don't water when the crabgrass looks dry. Water when the St Aug out in the sun looks dry. - THIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN DOING :)

"With your lot size it's going to take a year or so for the St Augustine to completely grow out and take over. If you wanted to speed up that process, put a couple pieces of St Aug sod around amongst the weeds and do the 1,2,3 above. As the runners spread out, you have to fertilize along the runners, too. I use organics to fertilize so I'm not at all worried about over applying fertilizer. If you have access to the Floratam variety of St Augustine, use that out in the sun." - I ALSO USE ORGANIC FERTILIZER (THANKS TO YOU;) I HAVE PUT OUT MANY FLORATAM PLUGS IN THE SUNNY AREA (INTO PLACES WHERE I HAVE DUG UP CRABGRASS)

1. "If you want to use a spray weed killer, you cannot use normal Weed-B-Gone with 2,4-d in it. You have to use atrazine. Everything else seems to kill St Augustine. Here's one you can get at Walmart"
    2. All you need to spray is around the St Augustine runners. I would leave the rest of the weeds to grow until the St Augustine spreads to fill it all in. When you spray around the runners, that kills the weeds around the runners giving them more light and soil to expand into." - OK THIS IS BRILLANT!!! I WILL START DOING THIS ASAP!!!