Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ldematte

Please critique my kitchen layout

prepmom
8 years ago

Hi All,

My husband and I have just begun our new build in a NJ coastal town. We enjoy cooking and make dinner at home 6 nights per week, on average. We entertain often, but with the exception of holidays, it's usually not for groups over 10 people. We have 2 teenage sons, but one is off to college in August. Our younger son does like to help out with meal prep from time to time. Although the KD has 6 chairs at the island, I will only have 4 IRL.

If you could kindly give your expertise to my kitchen layout, I would so greatly appreciate it! I am flexible on the window placement, but not the overall size of the area.

Thanks so very much!

Comments (7)

• prepmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is the layout of the first floor...

• cpartist
    8 years ago

One change I see is to move the prep sink down more towards the fridge.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Yeah, I'm with cpartist, that was my first thought too.

• prepmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

cpartist & rebunky- thanks for commenting! Do you mean move the prep sink even closing to the fridge end than is pictured in the KD's design? I know that the architect's plan has it too close to the range end, but I thought it was ok in the KD's design (which has a 24"trash pullout between the prep sink & rangetop). Would you mind sharing your reasoning so that I can better understand? How much further to the fridge end would you move it? Thank you again :)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Very nice plan! I agree the one little thing I'd change is the prep sink
    location. Landing space on the overhang, then the sink, and maximized
    prep area to the left of the sink. You'll be prepping beside the sink,
    so if you prep on the left side, you can scoop prepped items and drop
    them at the cooktop with just a step between. Also it's provides better
    flow if sinks aren't back to back, and if someone comes in for a glass of
    water, they don't need to walk through your prep and cooking zones.

You also have a very nice secondary prep area between the clean-up sink and cooktop. Well done. :)

• rebunky
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yes, moving the prep sink closer to the fridge side gives you more continuous stretch of countertop to prep, instead of being chopped into two smaller spaces. Maybe if you put the sink base, then the trash, then the bigger cabinet on the end closest to range?

I'm sorry, I cannot read the small print on your overhead view. I'm just counting the squares to figure out your isle widths. On the whole house floorplan it looks like the isle between your main sink and island is much wider. But then on the overhead kitchen layout plan, I'm only counting 3+ squares between. So is it maybe 42"? The isle in front of range, looks like 4 1/2 squares, so is it 54" or so?

I would definitately make the sink isle bigger. I like mine at 52 or 53". This is so when you have fridge open or DW open there is plenty room to pass by. Also if someone's standing at the island prepping while someone opens the fridge it is not cramped. Same with if someone's loading DW or prepping at the main sink, someone else can be working at the island without feeling "cheek to cheek" so to speak. Haha!

• prepmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mama goose- thanks for your explanation on the prep sink & your reassuring words that all-in-all the layout will work for us. We've been dreaming of this build for years & I want it (esp the kitchen) to be as close to perfect as possible. Yes, I am TKO!! Lol

Rebunky- I appreciate the clarification! Now it makes sense to me. You are correct about the isle width at 42". You make a great point about possible "cheekiness" if someone is at the fridge or main sink while someone is prepping at the island. We'll take your advice and stretch that isle to at least 49" (what the architect noted on his plans) if not wider. TY:)