• katyajini
    8 years ago

way too impressive.

• ronnyb123
    8 years ago

Damnnnnnn (mouth open)

• Pumpkin (zone 10A)
    8 years ago

Nice!!! How many plants is all that from?

• SoCarRob (Zone 7)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

About 25 plants or so. Hard to tell now since they are all grown together. I have 35 plants going but I didn't harvest from them all. Some of them were planted later than others and some of them didn't have any ripe ones to pick.

• sandysgardens
    8 years ago

I'm so jealous! VERY nicely displayed; you have a great looking selection. A harvest like that is a good month away for me.

What are some of the varieties?

Sandy

• SoCarRob (Zone 7)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

7 pot Brainstrain, Red Ghost, Choc. Ghost, Butch T. Trin. Scorpion, Naga Morich, Choc. Hab, Yellow Hab, Orange Hab, Yucatan White Hab, Trin. Congo, Fatalii, Banana, Aji Pineapple, Mini Red Bell, mystery pepper (was supposed to be yellow bhut but it tastes like a hab and is about as hot but is shaped differently), Fish pepper, Jalapeno, Santa Fe Grande, Prairie Fire (It's buried but in there)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    8 years ago

Awesome haul of peppers, I hope to have something like that next year.

• katyajini
    8 years ago

You mean from 12-15 plants I might be able to get 1/2 as many peppers? That would be a thrill.

What do you do with so many beautiful peppers?

K.

• ronnyb123
    8 years ago

Rob,

What does the mystery pepper look like. Is it a good producer?

Its funny. I have a good 80 plants in buckets and I get no where that much. Of course in my defense, its mostly annums producing and they only are 6 buckets.

• SoCarRob (Zone 7)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Very good producer. By far my best actually.

• SoCarRob (Zone 7)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

K, so far I've made sauce from them and given them away. If I had a dehydrator I would make powder. Next year I don't think I'm going to go so big. This year was a test year. I grew 1 plant of many varieties to see what I liked. Now I have a better idea what I would like to grow more of and how to space them. A few that I put in late still have yet to throw pods (aleppo and rainforest) and there are a few I still want to try that I didn't grow this year. I definitely want to grow some different medium heat types for pickling next year. If I can get some pepeproncini type seeds that would be great. I have a good friend of mine who eats those by the jar.

• ronnyb123
    8 years ago

You dont really need a dehydrator. I do most of mine from the stove. I bought one and have not used it much. Mostly, I chop up the peppers, heat up the stove to a nice temp, turn it off and throw the peppers in there. The residual heat removes the water and dries them out. You have to do it a few times, but it works great. Now, during the day, it is hot, so I just put them outside, but the stove works great too.

That yellow pepper would be easy to dry.

• kalzbeta
    8 years ago

How do you like your Santa fe grande? Is it the one on the lower left?

• SoCarRob (Zone 7)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yep. It's decent. I'm trying it pickled. Just waiting on the pickles to mature. So far they have been in the jar a week.

• stevie
    8 years ago

you can dehydrate in the oven at lowest temp, even better if it were a convection oven which is basically what a dehydrator is, just at much lower temps...

• ronnyb123
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I grew both the Santa Fe and the Casabella. Both are similar in size and shape but I like the taste of the Casabella better. You can pickle them when they are still whiteish, but I like them orange/red. The flavor is better for me and a little spicier.

• heidibird
    8 years ago

Nice! I am also growing a variety this year to see what works well for me in our climate. The owner of a local Mexican restaurant is waiting patiently for me to give him some of the harvest to make some of his great sauces.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!