Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meenakshi210

Kitchen without an oven ?

meenakshi210
8 years ago
Hi, I am interested in hearing your thoughts about designing our small condo kitchen without any oven. Our style of cooking and our lifestyle hAve actually rendered our oven of hardly any use to us. We are thinking of putting a micro/convection for basic needs and an induction cooktop with cabinets in place of traditional oven. We will be living in this condo for 5 years max and then will sell it off. This is in jersey city where space is not a luxury we have in the condos. Would this design come in our way of getting a good price for the condo later ? Would people be interested in a tastefully done modern kitchen/condo but the one that lacks an oven?

Comments (33)

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    8 years ago

I can't imagine trying to sell the space with no oven.

• smit2380
    8 years ago

I would never buy a house without an oven.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

well technically you don't need people you just need one person/couple to buy it. I general I would recommend you to do what feels more comfortable to you (well with some reason), as this will be YOUR home for next few years. different people like different things. And if you think that you'll find a client who will appreciate you design over oven - you will.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

micro/convection has both microwave and oven functions, right?

just do you research before you buy one to make sure it offers you both functions well.

• orangecamera
    8 years ago

I rarely use my oven, and have also thought about whether it's worth it to take up valuable space in my small kitchen. That being said, I don't think I'd want to buy or live in a place with no oven at all.

If you have more than 1 bedroom, there's a chance your future buyers might be a family with at least one child. When I had children at home, I used my oven a lot and certainly wouldn't have lived someplace without one.

Have you considered a smaller oven? Perhaps a full-sized cooktop and a small wall oven would work, if your layout can accommodate it.

Check to see if you actually need an oven in order to get a CO (or whatever Jersey City's equivalent is). If I recall, there used to be some regulation that dwellings needed to have ovens - but the microwave may have made that regulation outdated.

• leelee
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You might limit your future prospective buyers. On the other hand, lots of younger people don't cook much so it might not matter to the right people.

• meenakshi210
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions - it is a three bedroom so will attract families with kids when selling
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

I use my toaster over 90% of the time, but the oven itself is still used on a monthly basis. If I were to look at purchasing a condo without an oven, I would automatically reduce my bid by $5000...for the sheer hassle of having to purchase, hire a contractor and install.

The choice is yours. If you don't care about how long it will take to sell your condo in 5 years (for every 90 days on the market the price will drop). The choice is yours...but realize what you are "deciding on" in 5 years time.

If you have the option of a wall oven, you might want to "rough it in" and then make it storage space for yourself. That way in 5 years, you can nip out and purchase an install a wall oven at that time.

• orangecamera
    8 years ago

With 3 bedrooms, I'd absolutely put in an oven. You can use the oven interior as storage space in the mean time.

• acm
    8 years ago

I don't understand all this -- the microwave will include oven capabilities. Fishsticks don't require more than that, only Thanksgiving turkeys! I think you'll be ok, but be sure to explain/hang a note when selling, or people will notice the absence!!

• smit2380
    8 years ago

It is more than just fish sticks. Have you ever tried to bakes any large quantity of cookies or a birthday cake or multiple pizzas or even fish sticks and tater tots at once in a convection microwave. It is not practical for a family with kids.

• bichonbabe
    8 years ago

I would never buy a house without an oven and I don't even cook much.

• wheatey123
    8 years ago
    Saw this at a Hilton suite we rented and I thought it could work for a vacation but not day-to-day living. I'm a former Jersey City dweller and I used my oven often. A one bedroom condo perhaps, but not for a three-bedroom in my opinion.
  • meenakshi210
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for all the ideas - a cooktop and a cabinet in place of traditional oven could be the right option for us right now. At the time of selling, purchasing a wall oven and getting it installed at the cabinet space is a reasonable option that will not cost much also. Thanks again.
  • PRO
    Awilda Caberto, Realtor® - All Streets Realty
    7 years ago
    I just built my custom 3 bedroom modern house and omitted the oven. I didn't add a microwave either. I built it for my life style. my thoughts is this. If and when I decide to sell the house I would add the oven then or sell it as is and offer a $1000.00 to the buyer and they can have one installed of there choice. the cooktop cabinet is 36". A stove with an oven can easily be installed in that space.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

I use my oven all the time , I never fry so my oven is used for almost every dinner i make and IMO a microwave is not an oven

• disfromage
    7 years ago

This thread seems to have come back from the dead, but I just want to say that we use our oven virtually daily. How can you cook without an oven? Oh, I see some of you don't cook...

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

well, they don't bake anyway. or roast vegetables. or warm up purchased bread. or make meatloaf (how can you live without meatloaf?).

but for the poster above offering $1000 rebate at closing... Not Even Close. the oven costs more than that, the hassle costs way more than that. do it before you list.

• urbanlollygagger
    7 years ago

I'm actually debating this right now. I have been living without a wall oven for three years. Ours broke and I didn't want to buy another right away as we planned on renovating and were planning on installing a range unit. I've been extremely gun shy on renos and here we are three years later. I have been using a toaster oven and it does almost everything. Breads, rolls, muffins, roasts, chickens, pizzas......the only thing we can't do is a turkey but you can get larger counter top ovens for that. So because of this now am thinking of omitting oven entirely and picking up a larger CT oven but for resale I'd definitely be putting in a range.

• tfitz1006
    7 years ago

Was there an oven when you bought the place?

• PRO
    7 years ago

$1000 may not cut it, however I don't care. I built my house for me to live in not to sell it. So if I ever am moving on and leaving my beautiful home for another they will have to deal with it if they want the house with the stunning views of Hill Country and Lake. Or I'll just add in a stove oven at the time of selling. It's not a big deal to get a carpenter in and built in a location under the cook top to install a built in stove.

• User
    7 years ago

"Mark Bischak,- You could design the condo without a bathroom, and that way you would never have to clean it.- 11 Likes"

Since a bathroom is required by code, and an oven is not, there is no relevant link between the two.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 years ago

Really, Fred?

• User
    7 years ago

Thinking that an oven is required in a kitchen is a bit like thinking a bathtub is required in a bathroom, just because both words start with b-a-t-h. Coincidentally, most people prefer not having a bathtub because it just sits around collecting dust and then needs to be cleaned ;D

You do not need an oven to cook.

As the saying goes, there is more than one way to skin a cat....

Don't get me wrong,...I like cats,... they taste like chicken (fried, not baked) ;D

Many homes are sold, and get COs without washers, dryers, refrigerators, and freestanding ranges, or even air conditioners- shockingly. Only built-in cooking units need to be in place for the inspector.

Just a snippet from the first one on a Google search;

• PRO
    create my cabinets
    7 years ago

Trying to sell the condo after 5 years with no oven, will be difficult.

Your best option will be to make a 30" base cabinet space either with doors or drawers - however you prefer. after when you sell you can remove the doors or drawers and insert a wall oven into that 30" cabinet space for a perfect fit.

hope this helps, let me know :)

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    7 years ago

Post is from July 2015. Most likely not an issue any longer.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Fred S.

you made my day

jajajajaj

• HU-645837489
    3 years ago

I stumbled on this old thread - and happy to see I am not the only one thinking of this - I am in the same space - turning my unit into a rental - short-term. Planning on an electric stove top, with convection/micro over the cooktop for baking/micro use. It's already a small space - and the storage underneath the cooktop would be much needed. One reason is that I want to convert to electric in the kitchen and not have to add power (since was gas in years gone by would have to add more power and in a townhouse - it's not easy). Ahh - decisions!

• User
    3 years ago

as an avid watcher of House Hunters International, this is pretty common in other countries.

for a short term rental, I think it's a good idea. for a condo that's somebody's full time residence? sure, but only if you think you're going to live there many years.

• Sean McDirmid
    2 years ago

Ovens in the kitchen are unheard of in many other countries. We never had one when living in China (frying is more popular, baking is just something they do at bakeries, steaming is more important). We are considering a kitchen remodel and I too am considering if a new microwave that also has a convection heating element for baking could replace a dedicated convection or gas oven. But probably we will just go for a smaller oven (or to say a combo unit with a microwave/convection oven and dedicated convection oven) as the housing culture in the states can't fathom excluding the oven from the kitchen.

• orangecamera
    2 years ago

Sean, I would rough in power to a place where the next owner might want an oven, and put a standard oven-sized cabinet there for your use. Document where the power is (including photos before wallboard goes up) to make it easy for the next person.

• Sean McDirmid
    2 years ago

We've decided on finding ovens we will use (like a steam convection oven). I guess just fix the useless with something more useful.