Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elauriel

Feather River door for back of house

elauriel
8 years ago

We're in the middle of a kitchen remodel and we're in need of a new door for the back of the house. We just bought Marvin windows, but thought we'd just get a door from Home Depot simply because we didn't want to spend a lot of money for a door that no one will see. The door opens from the kitchen to the back yard. We have 2 other doors, and this is the least used door in the house. So many reviews on GW say that these are awful doors, but a lot of this seems to stem from the installers. We will be doing it ourselves (we're doing the whole kitchen ourselves - lots of contractors in the family). Does anyone have any reviews on the doors themselves? Anyone DIY it that can give a review? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• elauriel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks for your response! I did call my local dealer, and Therma Tru was almost 3 times as expensive, but I know it would be a better door. (ETA, by 3x as much I mean $700, so not breaking the bank, but still it's a back door that we don't often use) I am just so torn over our options. Almost all of the FR reviews mention the installation, and I don't really know what goes wrong with a door to know why I should buy a better brand. We just installed Marvin windows because we are well aware of what goes wrong with windows, but with doors we're a little clueless and thinking "what's the worst that could happen with a big box product?"

Nothing for our project is from a big box store for that reason, but we thought maybe we could get away with saving money on a door...

• millworkman
    8 years ago

You certainly can but you spent the money on good quality windows for a reason. The same thing that goes wrong with crap windows can and will go wrong with crap doors. If anything the installation issues are about the same with either, poor install is a poor install and can and will cause air and water infiltration issues. You could have applied the same ""what's the worst that could happen with a big box product?"" to your windows as well...................

• Nimryl Morris
    5 years ago
    I really think Feather River should work with other distributors. The installer in my area that Homedepot uses is horrible and the Homedepot store itself is terrible. Feather River makes beautiful doors and would love to have them all over my house but going through Homedepot is a problem.
  • millworkman
    5 years ago

Feather River and HD deserve each other............................

• Joe Macker
    4 years ago

Any recent opinions on Feather RIver Doors? Is it the door quality or the installation that is the problem?

• elauriel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We did go with the Feather River door for our kitchen, and it's been working wonderfully since we installed it 4 years ago. We did the install, so everything was done correctly. It's probably the best door in our house right now :/ (we still have the original 100 year old door on the front of the house that could do with more insulating). It holds up well to damage from the kids. I never feel a draft from it (a miracle in my house). It honestly still looks brand new. Maybe in the next decade we'll get some trim around it, but that's not the door's fault :)

• millworkman
    4 years ago

"Any recent opinions on Feather River Doors?"

Mine has not changed.

• Nimryl Morris
    4 years ago

Well they should tell us that you can't put a security door in front of a fiberglass door or it will peel from the heat.

• Joe Macker
    4 years ago

Interesting @Nimryl Morris Is this the problem of the security door causing heat buildup and warping the fiberglass door?

• millworkman
    4 years ago

Better quality doors you can definitely use a storm door. Feather River, I have never heard you cannot but I could see it being an issue if painted a darker color.