Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daniellebr

Backsplash dilemma

daniellebr
8 years ago
Update kitchen: cabinets, countertop and flooring; have been advised to go with a very dark (black, dark charcoal) backsplash. I would prefer to avoid such a dark colour. Am I wrong? Any suggestions?

Comments (28)

• daniellebr
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    A couple more photos with better lighting!
  • dixieduckcanvas0525
    8 years ago
    Beautiful cabinets! And love the floor. What was the reason for a dark backsplash?

You could do a smokey Quartz colored glass subway tile. Or just white subway tile with a dark grout.
    daniellebr thanked dixieduckcanvas0525
  • daniellebr
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Dark backsplash was recommended to pull out the dark specks in the granite and make a statement, make the walls pop as the cabinets and countertop have too much of the same colours. Thoughts?
  • jillll
    8 years ago

Agree with Dixie

daniellebr thanked jillll
  • lindywelsby
    8 years ago
    Can I ask what is the colour of your cabinets? Thanks.
    daniellebr thanked lindywelsby
  • PRO
    South Land Remodeling Inc.
    8 years ago

Black back-splash will overwhelm and take attention from the gorgeous counter top. you want to go with something that will ''hide'' not stand out and let the counter dominate and come out to play.... Probably very light gray (gray/white)

daniellebr thanked South Land Remodeling Inc.
  • tedbixby
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What color are your walls? What is your "style"? Have you looked at back splashes yet? If so, what have you been drawn to?

daniellebr thanked tedbixby
  • Tess Wakefield
    8 years ago
    Go with simple light. Not dark.
    daniellebr thanked Tess Wakefield
  • tedbixby
    8 years ago

Rather than going all dark, how about mixing it up with something similar to this with black being an accent tile.

Homes By Gary Byker's Photos · More Info

• daniellebr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@lyndywelsby, my cabinet maker calls them taupe

• daniellebr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@tedbixby, I was thinking of going with a Valspar Reserve Polished Ivory, but am also thinking of one smaller accent wall to pick up the rust/copper colour in the granite. I am a bit more conservative but I do want the kitchen to be striking and impressive. We love our cabinets, flooring and granite and I don't want to ruin the look with the wrong backsplash. I had chosen a 4 x 12 '' smokey grey glass tile. But a comment I received was that the kitchen would look washed out as everything would be in the same colour scheme. I did look at mix it up but thought that the granite was already busy enough and too much busyness on the wall would take away from the granite. Thoughts?

• juudean
    8 years ago
    Regarding your grey subway tiles, although I have them myself my cabinets are white. I tend to agree that you want to avoid too much of the same thing, and you want to stay away from a dark backsplash. I think a white subway tile would look nice, then accessorize with pops of color. I love what you have so far!
    daniellebr thanked juudean
  • PRO
    Bourke Construction Inc.
    8 years ago

Would go with white subway classic .you can buy subway tile that is concave

Which creates a weaved surface.

Ed

daniellebr thanked Bourke Construction Inc.
  • PRO
    Designs by Desiree
    8 years ago
    If you choose a dark backsplash it will pull you eye directly to the backsplash. That's great if you want to showcase the backsplash. Rule of thumb is if you love the cabinets, flooring & granite individually doesn't mean you have to love the backsplash equally, as well. It's how all the elements come together that is most important. Even though your design has similar colors, it has various textures which bring a lot of visual interest. Less is more, and also less likely to show it's age over time that we often refer to as dated. You can always add some bold colors with accents like art, accessories & rugs. Hope this helps
    daniellebr thanked Designs by Desiree
  • lizziest29
    8 years ago

I would recommend going lighter. I have had dark cabinets for 20 years they tend to wear on you after awhile. They show splatters from everything. I am constantly on my hands and knees scrubbing them. You should invest in a good pair of knee pads. I say go white or pull the lightest color from your floor. Sometimes they have a smaller tile which will coordinate with your floor tile. Everyone has an opinion, but you have to see it everyday. Good luck!

daniellebr thanked lizziest29
  • tedbixby
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Well, it sounds to me that you were all set with the rest of your selections (and already had addressed and dismissed the idea of a busier back splash so you shouldn't revisit that) but are now questioning your selection since someone mentioned that your kitchen would look washed out and suggested that you should go with a charcoal back splash- no way ! Desiree is spot on. Your kitchen will not look washed out, it will be more monochromatic which will give you lots of color options for accessories. Just make sure that the smoke isn't too matchy matchy with the cabinets otherwise it would look like a big blob (for lack of a better word :). If it does, then you will want to go a bit lighter as contrast is good as dixie's photos show below. I like that you are looking at glass as that will be a nice "texture" as Desiree stated and will reflect light. Do you have a couple of the smokey sheets so that you can temporarily place them on the wall to see how they look throughout the day and night? If you go with the smoke, just make sure you have under cabinet lighting if you don't already. Your kitchen will sparkle at night. I know this is a huge decision but your selections so far have been spot on, so continue to listen to your gut! :)

• dixieduckcanvas0525
    8 years ago
    Couple ideas ...
    daniellebr thanked dixieduckcanvas0525
  • tedbixby
    8 years ago

I think your picture of your kitchen kind of gives an idea what a lighter back splash would look like even though it is dry wall. Do you like that?

• taylorj00
    8 years ago
    Love dixie's idea
    daniellebr thanked taylorj00
  • daniellebr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@tedbixby, I do prefer lighter colour for sure... I just can't make myself put black, but smokey grey would the darkest I could go...

• daniellebr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks for all the great comments. I appreciate the positive feedback. Thanks again.

• tedbixby
    8 years ago

Sounds to me like since you prefer lighter color for sure, that is the way you should go. At the very least once you have selected a lighter one, then you can compare it to the smokey and see what your preference is. That being said, if you went with the smokey as only an alternative for the suggested "black" then you probably should discard that right now as you will never be happy with it. I'm guessing that like the counter top and cabinets, once you see the "right" back splash, you will know it and won't have any doubts about it. Have fun and let us know what you decide.

• Barbara Almandarz
    8 years ago

I'd avoid a dark backsplash as your cabinets are dark. I'd opt for white glass backsplash. Your granite has enough movement in it that I'd avoid a busy backsplash. The two would fight each other. Keep your kitchen clean and light, not too busy. Don't forget under cabinet lights!

daniellebr thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • Barbara Almandarz
    8 years ago

For some color, use accessories that are colorful and inexpensive to change out if you want to change the color down the road.

daniellebr thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • tedbixby
    8 years ago

dahiellebr- Just wondering what you ended up selecting. If it is installed, would love to see a photo :)

• daniellebr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Ted, we have chosen a very light grey/almost white glass subway tile with a matching grout... it is not installed yet but I will post a photo as soon as it is. Thanks for following up. Cheers!

• tedbixby
    8 years ago

Glad you found the perfect one and I look forward to seeing a photo once it is installed. Thanks for bringing us up-to-date.