Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epajon09

Our Living Room

Evelyn Abdel
8 years ago
Decor Dilemma: i want to have two accent chairs but i need help designing this whole space. PLEASE HELP!!!

Comments (19)

• Nancy Ingram
    8 years ago
    See layout but I would need all you dimensions to see if it would work.
  • Evelyn Abdel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Its a sectional but we dont want them to be joined. See attached for the different views of the room. We just purchased the home and we are putting a fish tank on top of the fireplace that will be within the brick.(if im making myself clear) lol
  • Evelyn Abdel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I am trying to make sure the living room looks as long and spacious as possible since we have a lot of guests come over
  • PRO
    Shoman interiors LLC.
    8 years ago

It looks odd if you place the sofa against the fireplace, and also the one side of the sofa doesn't have the hand rest if you separate them. Do you like it that way? I need the room dimensions and the sectional dimensions to give you a right suggestion.

• Evelyn Abdel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I will try to get the dimensions but the couch is not flushed against the fireplAce there is a lot of walking space behind it. The couches do not have to be exactly in the position but the tv is mounted so I am thinking about that and also we dont want the couches together. I know its weird but i was thinking maybe an end table inbetween them for the separation. Im not sure. What do you think
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

I don't understand why you don't want to join them, but in any case, you need to flip the sofa so it faces the fireplace rather than having its back to it. Then you'll be able to get at least one chair to the left of the fireplace. Not sure there'll be room for another chair.

• Evelyn Abdel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I dont want to unite them because i dont like how noone can sit in the corner and if they do its awkard bcuz theres no space. Also, if u look at the pictures within the comments you will see that There is plenty of room to work with.
  • happyleg
    8 years ago

Make two separate spots. Two chairs at wall across from tv with table between them. A large ottoman in front of it. Sectional with sofa table behind it near window.

• happyleg
    8 years ago

You need a console under tv.

• User
    8 years ago

At least you won't ever buy a sectional again. It's a good lesson to learn and you seem to be trying to make the best of it.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Susan's plan looks good. The only thing I would change is to pull the whole seating arrangement toward the TV so the sofa floats and you have walk space behind it.

• Evelyn Abdel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes, i definitely learned my lesson!! No sectional ever again lol. I should have just done 2 3-seaters. I love the layout and I agree about pushing the sofa a little closer to the tv to have walking space behind it :)
  • Evelyn Abdel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    What piece do you recommend underneath the television???
  • Evelyn Abdel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Susan what is that item on the upper right hand corner its round.. Thank you so much for the layout it looks great
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

A floor lamp. TV console should be 25% long than TV size. If TV is 50" then you need a console at least 62-65". I might consider moving the TV further down the wall, you have plenty of room and don't want everything cramped into a very small space. That will give you more space for the 2 chairs by FP. Also the middle of your TV screen should be at eye level when Sitting down. Don't hang it too high.

• PRO
    K&C Classic Homes
    8 years ago

I would try moving the sofa away from the fireplace, try a tv stand and an area rug.

• Evelyn Abdel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    What colors do you think will go with the sofa as far as furniture goes? Like side tables and tv console?
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

Your sofa is neutral and your floors are fairly light. Woods do not have to match as long as they are similar. You could go glass and wood or even chrome or gold metal. Mix it up. Different shapes and sizes gives interest to the room. Don't buy sets that match, but buy pieces that fit the space and look to keeping the same style.