Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Anyone growing Moringa oleifera

ruthz
8 years ago

I really want to grow this awesome plant/tree.

I thought I had a source for seeds, but for now that seems to have fell thru.

Please let me know if any of you know where to get seeds or a plant.

Comments (14)

• briaustex
    8 years ago

Hi Ruth,

I'd be happy to send you some seeds. PM me with your address.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Awesome. Sent you a PM.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    8 years ago

Ruth, I planted all the moringa seeds that I received and when they ALL germinated I wished I'd held some back. But that's okay. I found appreciative homes for the extras and kept two for myself. They grow fast!

• ruthz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't know details, but the lady that was going to send me seeds said she grows it as a summer annual vegetable. I suppose you could use quite a few in that case. Are you growing yours as a tree?

• rozenkruetz
    8 years ago

Unless you live far in the south it will probably die in the winter. You can grow them as shrubs in a greenhouse or bring them inside during the winter. They will go completely dormant so they need next to nothing.

• briaustex
    8 years ago

One of my moringa trees just starting blooming today. I see lots of flower buds on the other ones, too. Anyone know how fast the seeds mature? Will I be able to harvest mature seeds before the first frost? I'm hoping so! I do have one tree in a pot so I can haul that inside to protect it.

• Mark Reese
    8 years ago

Were you able to harvest and enjoy the seed pods? I'm just outside of San Diego and got a ton of seed pods from trees I planted this year. I planted PKM1 seeds which makes a big difference in the time it takes for a tree to flower and produce seed pods. You can find out more info about seed type on my website and check out this video showing the difference I experienced between trees I planted with regular seeds vs. PKM1 seeds!

• briaustex
    8 years ago

No, the seed pods didn't mature in time. Part of the problem is they didn't seem to set seeds until the weather started to cool down a bit. I might have to try the PKM1 variety in the future.

• Mark Reese
    8 years ago

Too bad they didn't make it. Where you looking to eat the pods or have them fully mature to get seeds from them? Here is picture I took a couple of months ago. It was from trees I planted this spring. I was amazed at how fast the PKM1 seeds produced seed pods! The seed pods will literally weigh a tree down and cause it to fall over if they aren't harvested! You should definitely try some PKM1 seeds next year for a comparison! I was amazed this year at the difference when I planted both seed types!

• chitralekha
    8 years ago

OMG..... I have never seen a Moringa tree bearing these many Drumsticks!

I am going to order seeds of this type to plant in 2016. Thanks for posting the picture.

• Mark Reese
    8 years ago

Hey, got your order! Enjoy the seeds! Thought you might enjoy this video I just made yesterday. It shows seed pod yield from a single tree that was planted earlier this year.

• chitralekha
    8 years ago

Thank you so much for posting the video. It is hard to believe that such a small tree can produce that large number of Drumsticks! That too during the first year! I'll let you know when the seeds arrive here.

Thanks once again, Chitra

• Mark Reese
    8 years ago

Chitra, yes please keep me posted on the progress of your trees! Glad we could connect on this forum.