Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaytwotoo

Designing Living Room & Dining Room. Dilema #1: The Fireplace Wall.

K 2
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We've been in our cottage for 6 1/2 years. We did a quick update of the bathroom, changed the windows, exterior doors, siding, shingles, and have most of the landscaping finished.

As we move toward the cooler months, I'm starting to put together plans for updating the living room and dining room. Before creating the floor plans, I need the actual room dimensions.

My Dilema #1: The Fireplace Wall. Initially, since we didn't like the fireplace, and we had always liked the look of built-in bookcases flanking the fireplace, my husband changed the entire wall. Over time, I've found that looking at books makes me think about dusting (an unpleasant thought). And, regardless of the mantle's décor, the focal point continues to be the books.

So, here are pictures of the current Fireplace Wall AND the Options that I'm considering. What say ye, 'Houzzers'?

********************************************************************************

Actual I. Changing the Fireplace Wall - 2006:

Actual II. Fireplace Wall Completed:

Actual III. Fireplace Wall Christmas 2011:

Actual IV. Fireplace Wall Christmas 2010 :

Option 1: Stay With The Books. The mantle décor is the problem. Suggestions for Mantle???

Living Room and Library · More Info

Option 2a. Example: Remove the Books, And Restyle the Shelves.

drummond · More Info

Option 2b. Example: Remove the Books, And Restyle the Shelves.

Medina · More Info

Option 2c. Example: Remove the Books, And Restyle the Shelves.

Dennis Bayview Cape · More Info

Option 4. Example: Remove the High Shelves & Rebuild With Medium Height Shelves.

Palmetto Bluff: Pellegrini · More Info

Option 5. Example: Completely Remove the Shelves & Cabinets to Open the Space.

Pacific Heights Family Home · More Info

Thank you!

Comments (1.2K)

• lessismoore
    8 years ago

Houzz has created an extreme "over thinking" syndrome for me (I think for everyone but Linda) Which, in the end, has saved me a lot of money (probably close to $300 every 30 minutes!) . But K-2 ... Everything you've actually gotten, the rug, lamps, etc. so far ... those seem to me great, nay - inspired choices! This is not a race and you are doing fine!

• drdeb1234
    8 years ago

I am VERY relieved to hear it is not a race. I suspect Avery joins me in that ;)

• lessismoore
    8 years ago

If Chook and crew ever do another yearbook, maybe they need to award "Hare and Turtle" certificates. LOL

• Linda
    8 years ago

Anybody heard from Chook? I'm a bit worried.

• stryker
    8 years ago

Linda, she got sick of her threads getting shut down so she said goodbye to the US houzzers. I'm sure she's still active over on the Australian threads.

• avery2pt0
    8 years ago

Ha ha DrDeb.....just now catching up on this thread.....and YES, you're absolutely right! :-)))

What I don't get is WHY there is this underlying (and not-so-underlying) feeling at times that we are on a time watch? It turns into being all about keeping the followers "entertained" rather than what it's really about.....the OP creating a home.

• avery2pt0
    8 years ago

@Less....I'm kinda sure I'd have that "turtle" award pretty much wrapped! Lol!

• lessismoore
    8 years ago

Well, he "wins" the race though. Slow but steady ...

• Linda
    8 years ago

Thanks stryker, that's a shame, she's a wonderful person. She will be missed.

• Linda
    8 years ago

Hi K, just checking in to see your doing ok. : )

K 2 thanked Linda
  • drdeb1234
    8 years ago

Just saw your post Avery. You're right about that (not so) subtle pressure to keep things going (so the ratings don't slip lol??). But I DO find that sometimes gives me that extra push I may need, so it's not all bad. I just have to be prepared before I open one of those (Pandora's) boxes!

I think I'm also getting better at putting the brakes on when I feel I need to.

• User
    8 years ago

Hi, all. I tried to stay on Aussie site, but the bullies followed me there and I had a heart attack. The Aussies are angry about it, it was a quiet chat thread before. I don't feel comfortable now to talk much on there, I feel I'm drawing fire to their quiet existence. The visitors comments were deleted by Houzz, but I'm afraid on my own threads. I'm deleting my account in a couple of days. The 2015 yearbook is being deleted for different reason, it no longer has a pro willing to host it, so could be subject to hacking. Therefore it's being deleted on 19/02. I advise people to download it to USB. It takes about 3 hours. A good job to delegate, lol.

My Hubby Quokkaz and Acerules will remain Houzz users. The week following the chest pain starting, I got constant emails and messages about the attacks on me. Today I spoke up for myself a bit, mainly because they called my friends dogs, and fools. I will continue that, till I leave. I ve been silent long enough.

i loved being on this thread. Kimberley, I meant every word on the yearbook. You really are inspiring, and have been a good influence on me. I care about you heaps, my friend. But you can't message or idea book me anymore, after tomorrow, so have to email. Heaps of Houzzers already do. And don't disappear, love. The peeps on here really feel care and concern for you, and your hubby. So keep them posted, ok? They are tough, they can take hearing your news, as a trouble shared, is a trouble halved. I'm glad to see you on design dilemmas, giving great advice, as always. Well I will continue my goodbyes. I've relaxed my privacy now, as I see the cyber stalker I had, has a deleted account (page not found). So I can be found tomorrow. I'm leaving a few laughs behind me ;)

Lots of love Chook xxxooo

K 2 thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

• indomom
    8 years ago

Ahhh, chook...you will be sorely missed. I'm so sorry for the stress you went through. Nobody deserves that. Blessings for the road ahead.

• User
    8 years ago

I forgot my miracle. I was going to tell Kimberley, but I will say it here. So there was stuff going on that night, on the thread, and elsewhere on Houzz. I was trying to manage it, for the sake of others. When the pain struck, I was "ok, this is serious." I hadn't eaten all day, so it wasn't indigestion. I was yelling out, and hubby was staring at me. I sent emails to Rina, in a lull, with my legal and other instructions. The fight intensified, but I couldn't participate. I got a comment in that i had to go because of chest pain. Hubby tried to type something, then deleted. I was looking at this wrought iron cross on the wall, (it was in Acerules photograph in the yearbook). I was praying to God for my life, for the sake of the kid, blahblah, as you do. So He decided for me. All of a sudden, the emails page on the ipad went completely blank. It's never done that before. I tried to get into the website, Safari wouldn't work. God had said Enough!!! And pulled the plug, so to speak. We tried rebooting it, but it stayed blank until a day or so ago, then it came back to full function, spontaneously. In the interim, I could only receive emails at the library, and hardly on Houzz at all in that time.

So, you send up a prayer, but God works in very mysterious ways.

K 2 thanked User
  • K 2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

CHOOK, my thoughts and prayers are with you. You're a special Friend. Your thoughtful gift arrived on the exact day and time when I needed to be reminded that I am not alone in this journey. God does indeed work in mysterious ways, His wonders to reveal.

Now it's your time to rest and renew. Receive your family and friends' care.

- K

• K 2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello All. Thanks for continuing to carry-on. We've had a couple of tough health months. But, beginning to see some light at the end of the preverbable tunnel. Averaging three to four medical appointments each week. Tiresome.

Meanwhile my credit card has been hijacked, bogus charges contested and new card issued. My laptop experienced the latest virus where the owner is literally blackmailed to regain access. Trashed that laptop. Keith's laptop has a virus. In shop to recover memory, rebuild system, and add better security. My email has been compromised twice: much to my family and friends chagrin, they have received two emails with viruses.

This evening using Keith's Kindle to touch base with The Houzz Team. Hope all are well and spreading encouraging words to the Dilemma-ed ;-)

P.S.: No longer keeping contacts on email account, nor doing online banking; receiving invoices or statements; or storing anything on internal drive. (U.S. I.R.S. announced Feb 27th that 720,000 accounts are compromised: names, addresses, social security numbers stolen. Those affected will receive letters within the next week.) Encourage everyone to increase your online security system and to back-up your files. If you step-away from you PC, disconnect from the web. There: my unsolicited advice.

• K 2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

BTW, the Tree of Life tapestry is now hanging over the mantle we really like it!

Unfortunately, this Kindle does not allow me to upload photographs, so there currently is no 'show-and tell'.

• K 2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Natalie, if you have the time and inclination, will you please consider a paint palette for the living room and dining room.

I need colours for (prefer Benjamin Moore) --

+ Walls: Living room and above chair rail in dining room;

+ Trim: below chair rail in dining room, 10" baseboard both rooms, plus ceiling molding in both living room and dining room;

+ Ceiling: in living room and dining room.

If it's prudent to choose the sofa and curtains first, please advise.

Main influences for colour choice:

+ area carpet and wall tapestry;

+ there is a pink tint in florals on both pieces.

8 - Bought for Living Room · More Info

The Living Tree 53" High Wall Tapestry · More Info

• K 2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Linda,

LOOKED at your new home Ideabook. Very nice! Especially like the entry, living / dining rooms; reading / breakfast nook; and kitchen.

Hope you're enjoying your home and surviving this especially nasty East Coast winter.

• Natalie
    8 years ago

Hi K!

I will put some colors together for you and post them within a day.

Glad to hear things are going better health wise--but, sorry about the fraud-identity theft experience. Hope everything works out.

Talk soon. Have a Wonderful Day! :))

K 2 thanked Natalie
  • Linda
    8 years ago

Hi K, great news that your back. Sorry to hear life hasn't been good.

Thanks for the comment on my ideabook, I'm in the process of updating the master bedroom, all this talk of white paint has me obsessed with all things white, since I can't change the colour of the room, I've ordered white bedding and throw pillows for both rooms, bought lovely white faux fur throws. Yesterday we put up the mirror frames above the headboard in master bedroom (I had ordered white flower art to go in them). It's much nicer than the cream I had before. I am also moving the large art piece out of there, need to find something softer! Sorry to prattle on I'm just excited : )

The weather certainly has been different from San Jose! I do miss my flip flops and frozen yoghurt lol

Looking forward to your discussion on paint colours

K 2 thanked Linda
  • Natalie
    8 years ago

K---

Here's some colors I think would work well with your furnishings and hardwoods. I recommend picking up 3-5 paint chips of each color and tape like colors together to determine which hue(s) look best in your spaces. Once you choose the colors, I can suggest a white for your trim and ceilings throughout. Hope this is helpful. :))

K 2 thanked Natalie
  • lessismoore
    8 years ago

OMG, too funny ( there is an S where there should be a W) LOL.

K 2 thanked lessismoore
  • stryker
    8 years ago

Glad you're doing ok, K, those hassles you've been through aside.

Thanks for sharing your computer/financial experiences. I changed my passwords to financial stuff today at your urging. I should have done it before, because I went through something that might be similar.

A few months ago my computer locked up and a messsage popped up saying not to shut it down and to call a number right away. A company called Delwyn or something like that "helped". Basically they took my computer hostage and I paid ransom. They did actually clean things up a bit but still it was a scam and they aren't trustworthy. I feel ashamed about the whole thing.

• K 2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

As Stryker mentioned: if a screen appears telling you to call support, do NOT call; Do NOT turn off PC. With your computer still on, take to service department. They can retrieve your files and over-ride 'extortion' message.

• K 2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Less, do you not like 'Creamy Shite'. May be avant-garde ?

• K 2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Natalie, thank you for time and expertise. Love your suggestions. Rooms need the light, and compatible with my elusive visual. Will do some sample tests. Will post once I am working on Notebook, not this Kindle.

P.S. The auto-correct on this Kindle creates some funky phrases. If something illogical posts, please be assured that I am not drugging. (Well, at least not any without legal medical scripts. ;-)

• lessismoore
    8 years ago

That's awful what happened with your computers ladies! Wow. I had something like that happen years ago and had to have a remote technician clean up a virus online (and pay for it, of course). After that, small children were no longer allowed to download things.
    I think "Creamy Shite" will probably the next BM color of the year. :-))) Currently they are advertising "Simply White" but ...

• babophz
    8 years ago

Some of the avant garde are painting walls in a dirty light brown here in the Netherlands. Initially it made me think of living in a brown paper bag, but 'creamy shite' is a better analogy: actually it is spot on! ;-)

• stryker
    8 years ago

I talked to someone who had this happen to him and he did turn his computer off with no ill consequences. I think the most important thing is not to let these scammers into your computer.

• Natalie
    8 years ago

LoL! Less!

Just goes to show--shite happens when you copy and paste. :D

K--Looking forward to seeing the paint samples... Have a Wonderful Day!

• kaywestmaas
    8 years ago

Sofa: Went to Lazy Boy today. They have a sofa: 'Madelaine', stationary, cozy-comfortable, rolled arms, knife edge cushions, 82'' long, tall back; 20" seat height (good for our proportions). LOOKED and felt good. Appearance of slipcovers, but is well upholstered. Although seat and back cushions are zippered, and can be drycleaned. Still working on Kindle, and don't know how to upload photograph or attach online image. Sorry.

Fabric: Pattern - Nostalgia; C118834; Sand. Looks like a linen tweed in light gold and cream. Brought sample home. Good with black floral area rug, wood floors, side tables, etc.. Almost identical to Pottery Latte fabric. (See above Dec 17, 2015 image.) But this fabric very definitely means returning tapestry hanging above mantle. Colours are not complimentary.

Paint: Went to our little Ace Hardware to pull Benjamin Moore samples. They only had two of those Natalie suggested. Right now, liking the 'Ashwood'. Will have to drive to next town to procure additional suggestions.

Have never purchased Lazy Boy. Any opinions or testimonials? Fabric is 73% polyester and 27% acrylic? Questionable standard?

Thanks you for input.

-- K

• stryker
    8 years ago

I don't have any experience with Lazy Boy but the reviews are not too kind.

Why can't Ace can't mix you as many different samples as you want? Paint samples are always mixed on site, or so I thought.

• lessismoore
    8 years ago

Here is the sofa in the fabric you mentioned. I looks like it would "go" but if not, they have a huge selection of fabric ... if you like the style, you are not limited to this one!

• User
    8 years ago

I like that sofa, Lessismore! It looks comfy!

• User
    8 years ago

My Dad was an engineer who built the best bridges and roads. We went on drives on those roads when I was a child, of course at that age you don't know where that road is going to take you. Sometimes it's the road less travelled. He built a bridge to soar over the floods at Orbost, that came every year and swept the wooden bridges away. He built his out of concrete. It's still there. Sometimes Houzzers can be a bridge over the flood, when the road is dark and scarey.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rIeyuHzGabs

Bridge Over Troubled Water Celtic Woman Lyrics

haley4471 40,375 views

4.05mins

• felizlady
    8 years ago
    I hear you. The thought of dusting all those nooks and crannies!!
    It may cost some money, but you could have custom doors made for those cabinets, in a style of your choice. Or you could decorate the open shelves with fewer books and more art or objects: you would still have to dust, but moving one or two pieces per shelf is better than a load of books.
  • User
    8 years ago

Happy St Patrick 's Day!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8YbUyjt_MQQ

Celtic Woman - You'll Never Walk Alone

CelticWomenVEVO 2,426,349 views

4.16 mins

• User
    8 years ago

8 mins.

• babophz
    8 years ago

Hi Trek! I hear you!!! :)

• User
    8 years ago

WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY LADDIE , SPEAK UP!!!

• babophz
    8 years ago

Oh my, you really are back, lol!

• User
    8 years ago

GOOD TO MEET YOU, JACK.

• User
    8 years ago

Has anyone heard from K2?

• Linda
    8 years ago

I hope you and your family are having a Happy Easter K ❤️

• User
    8 years ago

Me too, k2!!!!!

• User
    8 years ago

• PRO
    Mogul Interior
    7 years ago

You could also add vintage furniture into your living room. [Traditional Hand Carved Wooden Storage Cabinet[(https://www.houzz.com/products/vintage-sideboard-traditional-hand-carved-wooden-storage-cabinate-prvw-vr~43426318)

• sheilaskb
    4 years ago

Have you thought of putting doors on the bookcases to hide the books and keep them dust free? You might choose doors with frosted glass or wood doors with some kind of mural in a recessed panel or just plain wood painted white. All your options are attractive, and it just depends on what you really want.