Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandy_malmgren

Kitchen countertops with support pillar

Mandy Malmgren
8 years ago

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to update the old laminate countertops in my kitchen. Because of the fact that my house was built out to enclose what used to be the back porch and the kitchen counters were extended to create a breakfast bar I have a bit of a dilemma. In the middle of the larger area of my countertops is a support beam.

I'm a fan of granite and went down the bath of ordering pre fab granite countertops. Because of the cuts that would have to be made to accommodate the pillar the granite guys told me that they honestly didn't recommend using pre fab pieces of granite for my kitchen. They said I could try to go with slabs but when I pursued that route it was becoming difficult to figure out where the cuts could go so that the veins in the granite wouldn't be a huge issue.

After giving up on granite I started looking into Ikea's Ceasarstone because I was initially oblivious to the fact that it also comes in pre made slabs. Figuring out where to make the cuts to accommodate the pillar would still be an issue but they might potentially end up being less noticeable than granite.

I brought home some samples of Corian countertops since from what I understand those can be poured to fit and have virtually no seams so they'd be perfect for my kitchen. Problem is that the samples I brought home scratched up so easily when I tested them out that I think I'd be disappointed with how quickly they would scratch up.

Long story short, I'm looking for recommendations about how to accommodate a pillar in the middle of a countertop. Are there other surfaces that aren't made from slabs that I should look into? Or what would be the best way to minimize seams and find multiple slabs of something that would work in this situation? I'm not a huge fan of how concrete counters look and I'm worried that they wouldn't be good for re-sale.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here's some pictures from before I moved in:

(it's hard to see in the pictures but the countertops extend around the pillar and there's a decent sized overhang that allows for stools on this side as well as around on the left)

Comments (6)