Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alinkaradion

How to make inexpensive update?

alinkaradion
8 years ago
I'm into the Scandinavian style. The color on the walls is a cool light blue and the tiles are white and navy.

Comments (14)

• acm
    8 years ago

Simplest change would be to paint the vanity (with appropriate prep) a light gray. Then replace all the pulls with chrome.

Cosmas European Bar Pull - Solid Metal Handle for Kitchen and Bath, Polished Chr · More Info

Hafele 124.02.220 Chrome Drawer Pulls · More Info

Second step I'd take would be to replace the fussy light fixture with some kind of cool light bar -- like one of these but horizontal:

Jax 2-Light Bathroom Fixture · More Info
    That would carry you pretty far. The faucet is already pretty good (despite the brass handle bits), and the counter is inoffensive, although if money allows, it's worth seeing if a local stone yard would have a remnant of granite or marble that you could get cheap.

Does this about match the scope of your ambitions?

• alinkaradion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Do the cabinets look very outdated? You know how the scandinavian style has a lot of this wood color? You don't think I can't pull off a good look with leaving the cabinets as they are (and changing the handles)?

• PRO
    RT Studio
    8 years ago

You can change the cabinet doors to a more scandinavian style, which you can get in IKEA. But if I was you I would invest a little bit and change the whole vanity, because those splashback are too retro Also change the handles to a modern style. Check my page for some modern bathroom ideas.Good luck.

• acm
    8 years ago

The cabinets are ok -- the Scandinavian style rarely has yellow oak, but more light ash or whatever. You weren't clear on what you wanted to change, so we're picking out the things that seem most likely to make a difference to us...

• alinkaradion
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Just wanted to see how the cabinets look from fresh eyes because I've gotten used to them. I'm open to a lot. Just have to decide how much I am willing to spend. The cabinets are in perfect shape, solid wood, so it makes me feel a bit bad to get rid of them. And I know that paint won't last..
  • hayleydaniels
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'd go with a new countertop with an undermount sink. Home Depot partners with St Paul Home Products where you can order a countertop to fit your vanity. It isn't cheap but it would update your bathroom. I don't know what it costs to have it installed.

http://stpaul.homedepot.com/Vanity-Top-Customizer.html?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053

• acm
    8 years ago

People paint cabinets all the time. If you do it right, there's no reason it shouldn't last.

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Do you have a budget range in mind or are you in the gathering ideas stage?

• Carol Singletary
    8 years ago
    Cheap and quick
    Brushed Nickel hardware and a light such as acm suggested.

A bit more money and work
    Frame the mirror with a clean simple frame.
    New faucet in the same brushed nickel as above

Much more money
    Replace the counter and sink

I suspect you can make the cabinet work with the other changes if it is indeed solid wood.
  • er612
    8 years ago

Looks like your light and faucet are chrome. I would just replace the gold hardware with chrome. Framing the mirror would make a big difference. I might paint the frame navy or stain it to match the cabinets. White seems a bit boring.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

the light is brass. and the fixture handles have brass on them.. those are fine i think... but that light.. eeekkk

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

I'd start with Light, Faucet and cabinet Hardware.

• alinkaradion
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm in the gathering ideas stage.. Thank you all for your advice. The frame around the mirror was very helpful and a great visual!