Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodelo

Foliage like a daylily, flowers more like a trumpet lily

Wendy Johnston
8 years ago

This past late summer while driving I noticed a house which had some unknown to me plants lining the driveway. As the title says the foliage is much like a daylily, but the flowers are a medium pink in a long trumpet shape. I liked the look, and the fact that it blooms in late summer when most flowers are petering out just makes them more intriging to me. I am in NW Washington, zone 8. Thank you in advance for any ideas you all may have to offer.

Comments (15)

• rosco_pc
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Could you have possibly been seeing Lycoris (Squamigera) ?. They are usually pinkish and bloom late. The leaves come out in spring then die off and in August the blooms appear...seemingly out of nowhere. Just a possibility. Ross

Wendy Johnston thanked rosco_pc
  • Wendy Johnston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, but no. These were blooming atop mounds of daylily like foliage. The flowers points out and downward, they had a long throat with a flare at the end.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Neither crinum or lycoris are very common in the PNW but Nerine bowdenii is. Normally an early fall bloomer, with this summer's dryness and heat, these bulbs started blooming several weeks earlier than normal and some municipal plantings of them near me were in full bloom in late August.

Wendy Johnston thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • treeguy123
    8 years ago

Habranthus and Amarcrinum genus look like described.

Wendy Johnston thanked treeguy123
  • Wendy Johnston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I believe that it is indeed an Amarcrinum! I drove past the house again yesterday to be certain I had the particulars right, and this looks like a match. Thank you so much for helping identify it, I will be looking to add it to my garden, it's just that pretty.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

I will say again that crinum, amarcrinum, and habranthus are very uncommon bulbs in the Pacific Northwest. These are species most often found in more southern gardens. Even lycoris is seldom seen in this area.

If the OP could post a photo of the plant in question, that would certainly help to clarify but based only on description and regional location, I would find nerine to be a much more likely candidate.

• Wendy Johnston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, I appreciate your input. In order to stop and take a photo I will have to pull into their drive, and so may have the opportunity to ask them as well. It is most assuredly not nerine, but I will go in the next day or maybe two (it's on the way to the grocery store) and at least get a photo. Thank you again for the suggestions, it's been bugging me!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

GG is Amaryllis belladonna much grown in the PNW?

Wendy Johnston thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Not really. Not to say that these bulbs are never grown here, just that they are very uncommon and usually only in the gardens of collectors or sincere plant enthusiasts. And I happen to hang out with a lot of those and still seldom see these bulbs. :-) All are much more common in California than in the more northern reaches of the PNW.

I am not certain why but a lot of plants commonly grown in more southern gardens do not thrive up here, even though we share similar hardiness zones. I have a feeling it is our lack of summer heat - certainly a factor with some of the shrubs - but also the very dry summer conditions and quite wet winters. Especially these more moisture loving bulbs - it's too dry in summer and too wet for them in winter.

• macranthos
    8 years ago

Although I must say that a drive around town during the belladonna bloom season found many more than expected this past year in Portland. However, I didn't consider it an option because it blooms without leaves....

Wendy Johnston thanked macranthos
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

So does Nerine bowdenii.... usually.

Just a thought but since the OP was driving and didn't, as far as we know, get out of the car, it is even possible the foliage was daylily and had Nerines growing between. Unless the OP returns to the scene of the crime, gets out of the vehicle and takes a photo we just can't be certain.

Wendy Johnston thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    8 years ago

After reading this discussion, I might knock on the door and ask. These bulbs mentioned so far can be so similar looking, and without a series of pics of front/back of bloom, overall plant, front/back of foliage, it might not be possible to determine. ...and it sounds like buying just anything old thing over the internet might not go well, in your climate. The homeowner would probably at least appreciate your complimentary interest, even if they don't have a botanical name to offer. Permission to take pics, a new garden friend/connection, or even the offer of a few bulbs, could result.

(At the scene of this crime - crime of unlabeled flowers, clandestinely or overtly peeping at flowers? LOL Flora, for the thoughts!)

Wendy Johnston thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
  • Wendy Johnston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for your comments, I will go by there later today and knock on the door and ask. It certainly won't be the first time, and I hardly think it will be the last! I shall report back later.

• Embothrium
    8 years ago

Retailers that sell bulbs in the PNW have stocked Amaryliis, Crinum and the hybrid between them in the past - any of these might be seen anywhere somebody happened to take an interest, stick them in a spot where they were able to establish and persist. I have seen multiple examples of the first two in particular in various ordinary settings here over the years, although the local existing plantings of C. x powellii may have taken a hit in the 1990 winter. Nevertheless an old looking planting of what may be 'Ellen Bosanquet' near a large Central/South Seattle interchange is still there, near the north side of the building - where frigid winds blowing across the extensive area of pavement must have blasted the site repeatedly over many winters.

(I recently saw what is probably the same dark pink cultivar near the house at Heronswood, but there was no labeling).