Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greentea8

TEC Power Grout? What color grout for white subway tiles in bathroom

Ann
8 years ago

Hi everyone,

There were some threads on this topic, but it was from a few years ago.

1. Has anyone used TEC Power Grout? I'm concerned it might scratch our white glossy subway tiles. TEC says it may, but our tile rep said it's ok.

2. We were thinking of using bright white as the color, but I'm afraid it will turn yellow over time. We're doing very light grey with white subway tiles for the kitchen, but not sure about repeating it in the bathroom? It will go with our color scheme ... so bright white or light grey?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• cat_mom
    8 years ago

Have used TEC bright white grout (regular and XT) in bathrooms and on our kitchen backsplash--none have yellowed.

Ann thanked cat_mom
  • Ann
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi cat_mom - thanks for the response. How long ago did you use it? Did you use it with white glossy subway tiles by chance?

• kats737
    8 years ago

We used tec power grout un sanded dove gray on glossy white subways,. No issues yet. No scratching.

We used maipei white grout on our previous shower and it took about 5 years to start yellowing, but that was with sub-optimal cleaning and hard water.

Ann thanked kats737
  • cat_mom
    8 years ago

Guest bathroom shower surround, glossy white tiles, "regular" TEC grout, 2008 I think.

MB and hall bathroom tub surrounds, glossy white tiles, TEC XT grout, 2011.

No issues. The XT grout doesn't require sealing, but can be, using a solvent based sealer. We have moderately hard water. We wipe down the tub surrounds with a microfiber cloth after showering (to prevent water spots on the glossy tile). I clean the bathrooms pretty much weekly. I spray the tub surrounds with 7th Generation disinfecting bathroom cleaner spray. Let sit a few minutes, and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth. Tile and grout look as they did when first installed.

Ann thanked cat_mom
  • Ann
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll be using TEC's sterling, which is a very light grey in our kitchen with 3x6 white subway tiles. For the bathroom, I'm still undecided. Since our reno has been delayed so much, I won't be able to do the kitchen first, so at least I can see what it will look like :(

I have white tiles with white grout now, but they're about 20 years old and looking very yellowy, so that's a given.

I've had to make so many decisions with this kitchen/bath reno that I think my head is going to explode!