Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ascorsonelli

Fireplace and built-ins-- Second guessing my design

ascorsonelli
8 years ago

Met with carpenter last week to discuss cabinetry. GC decided CM will just do entire fireplace and surround as well. I'm not 100% on my plan for the wall, and would love some suggestions while there's still time to change. Keep in mind, the walls are up and the (wood-burning, gas starter) firebox already installed, so those are untouchable.

I'm going for a Craftsman look minus the windows above the built-ins. Needed wall space for DH's deer (yes, ridiculous, I'm aware) and will place those on either side of fireplace instead of windows. Wall is 18' long by 10' tall; prints called for 6' fireplace centered, however it's closer to 7'. (Need to double check. It's between 6.5-7' for sure.)

You can find other dimensions on the sketch below. Will use a penny or hex tile 7" wide (vice 6" as drawn) with wood stands (is that the right word??) on either side. Mantel would be a distressed wooden beam that wraps on all three sides of fireplace box. The sides will not be as deep as the front. Above the fireplace will be 8" wide shiplap and a tv. (side note: using shiplap as backsplash in kitchen)

On either side of fireplace--lower cabinets with one or two rows of shelving set back about an 1" on top of cabinets. The trim piece at top of shelving would fall just below the mantel.

***ignore the left side

It's sounding more and more fussy as I try to describe it...... help me please!

Comments (28)

• ascorsonelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Examples of what I'm trying (in vain, it seems) to mimic:

Fireplace would be almost identical, except the shiplap will wrap on all three sides of firebox

*Beam mantel, but again, mine would wrap on all three sides

Michelle's gorgeous layout

Snapshot of current state (bad angle):

• whaas_5a
    8 years ago

Not to throw you for loop as I'm sure you're set on it but I've heard from some folks that putting the TV above the fireplace was a mistake. They compare it to being in the front section of a movie theater.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

What about continuous line with mantle?

ascorsonelli thanked Lavender Lass
  • ascorsonelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

YES whaas! It was a HUGE concern of mine, actually. Two friends recently built with tvs over fireplaces, and I hate watching tv in their homes. I bought a stand from mantelmount.com though--so height is no longer an issue. YAY!

Realize heat and lifetime of tv will be compromised with tv above, but to be honest, we're in east Texas.... the fireplace will rarely be used. It was a no-deal for DH to have a fireplace though. ;)

• ascorsonelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thought of that lavender and I'm not opposed to it entirely. Do you think I should skip the wooden beam mantel in that case? Does the original design seem to be "too much"?

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Or maybe lower line of built-ins....if deer are too big to have it even?

• Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
    8 years ago

Agree. TV over fireplace is only moderately ok if your sofa will be pretty far back and you mount the TV on a mount that can tilt down a few degrees.

I would not mount a TV over the fireplace with a raised mantle.

We found a tilt mount to use and also put our fireplace on the floor to bring the TV down some and it's still going to end up 5.5' off the floor.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

How big are the deer? Your husband probably wants them centered in that space.

(I prefer my deer outside, walking around on the back hill)....but if he wants this, it should be a real focal point :)

• ascorsonelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I roughly measured the width of deer but don't think height is to scale. Will have to check!

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Is this your only TV area? If not, then above fireplace is fine. Probably football, etc? I hope you have a girlie area...with husband having 'deer room' :)

• ascorsonelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mama Rachel, this mount allows you to pull the tv out from the wall and down several inches. Trust me, I lost many a night worrying about a stiff neck. I'm confident this mount relieves those concerns.

I've discussed with a designer at one point that cutting the wall 50/50 isn't aesthetically pleasing. idk!?

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Here's a similar idea...on either side of a window. Notice how nice the wood bookshelves and gold tones look in the room? And the leather! Maybe something to think about?

ascorsonelli thanked Lavender Lass
  • ascorsonelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You think this is a "deer room"? HA. You ain't seen nothing lavender! But yes, I'm getting a sewing room/guest room/playroom. So he can slap up a couple deer. ;)

• ascorsonelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Open floor plan with really only one other wall as an option--the wall opposite the fireplace. Front door is right next to that wall, so I'd prefer to mount pictures on it. Hate to walk in, and deer jutting out as you walk by.

The overall look of the house will be "coastal cottage farmhouse" (that a mouthful?!). Whites, greys, chrome and nickel, wood, etc.

• whaas_5a
    8 years ago

Interesting...I'm trying to visualize how the cords connected to the TV spring back and forth.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

No, not mounting deer on either side of window....just an example of two deer mounted on the same wall. You would have them by the fireplace. I love that curtain fabric! :)

• ascorsonelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Gotcha. I'd prefer they get lost and let the fireplace be the standout. Don't tell him I said that.

Whaas, not entirely sure, I'll be honest. We have conduit installed to route cables. And the mount comes with a cover to hide the wall attachment. But that doesn't answer your question. I'll keep ya posted when I find out in a few months ;)

• ascorsonelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'd love a 3D rendering of what I originally have planned. Anyone up to the challenge?? :):)

• ascorsonelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks architect! Love that design. I considered a similar layout, but decided to go a different route. Mostly because moving the fireplace down the wall would result in 8-9' of cabinetry on one side. Maybe it would have looked ok, but I wasn't sold on that piece being so LONG. So unfortunately, at this point, fp stays. Womp, womp.

Do you have thoughts on where the shelving should stop in relation to the mantel? Does just below seem odd to you? Will cutting the 10' tall wall exactly in half look off?

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

Continuous line with mantel in my LR. Just to give you another idea of what it might look like.

This is one of the hardest decisions when building. Good luck!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Here's what I'm planning for my craftsman house with fireplace and tv above the fireplace. BTW: Thank you, thank you, thank you for the mounting idea. You just solved a major problem.

Our wall is only 13' wide but we are using a narrower fireplace too. You can scale appropriately, or add double doors on either side.

ascorsonelli thanked cpartist
  • alwolin
    8 years ago

Are you still planning on installing your MantelMount? I found it on google, bought it and love it. It really solves the problems with mounting a TV high on the wall (like over a fireplace). I used to get serious neck pain watching my TV over the fireplace. With Mantelmount installed now we just pull the tv down to eye level and push it up when we're done. Can't say enough about the product, plus they have awesome customer service.

• ascorsonelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Alwolin, YES! I'm excited to install it. I feel like a commercial plugging them, which is kind of weird considering I've yet to actually use the product. But if the mount is even a fraction as great as their customer service, then it'll be worth every dime!

• ascorsonelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thought I'd share what I decided to go with (after much flip flopping!). Will tile the surround and hearth, cover the lower cabinets with doors, and add adjustable shelves to the upper set-backs. Happy with how it's turned out so far!

• ascorsonelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Another update (with the Mantel Mount pulled down)

Now do decide.... hardware or no

• whaas_5a
    8 years ago

Besides the somewhat creepy deer its looks very nice! Thanks for sharing the pics.

If you get a chance it would be nice to see it with the TV up.

Where are your electronics located and do you have a single source sensor on top of the mantel?

• ascorsonelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There's an outlet right behind it and conduit (or something) running down to the bottom right cabinet. We'll keep the Apple TV there. DVR is wireless. Sound bar wil be mounted to the top of the tv. What's a single source sensor??