Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Blind Corner Treatment

beachem
8 years ago

I know that there has been a lot of discussions about this and I've read all of them going back years. I know that the pros prefer and recommend sealing off the blind corners but that's a lot of storage area that I need for lesser use items. My blind corner is a 48"Wx27"D rectangle.

I had decided on the Lemans and reconciled myself to the loss spaces wasted behind the Lemans. For Lemans owners, how do you like them? Do you think that you gave up storage?

I then found this recently which seems to take full advantage of the entire cabinet by customizing the pull out shelves for the full 48". It's similar to Arlosmom's solution but without having to move things out.

Has anyone used the Merrillat's Blind corner swing out? If so, what do you think?

Comments (9)

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

It isn't any of the options you posted but my personal favorite, by far, has to be Deedles ingenious solution.

Not only did she take full advantage of her blind corner, she also got a rolling rack/counter area for when she needs it!

Definitely one of my favorite GW kitchens!

• AnnKH
    8 years ago

Beachem, the best solution for me might not be the best solution for you - which is why there are so many choices!

I have an angled diagonal with a super susan, and a drawer on top (custom cabinet maker, so I could get whatever I wanted). I went round and round with the other corner - I looked at every contraption and possibility under the sun. I hated the idea of "wasting" any space in the corner.

But my kitchen isn't very big, and I needed to make the most efficient use of the space I had. Once I assigned categories of stuff to all other spaces in the kitchen, I still needed a stack of drawers for cooking utensils, towels, bags and wraps. I still needed a convenient space for canisters of dry goods. What I did NOT need was a place for less used and bulky items - I had other spaces in the design for those.

In the end, I closed off the corner and put drawers on each side. It's been 2 years, and I have not missed that corner space for a moment.

I always recommend that folks carefully consider what is going to go where, with as many things as possible near their point of use. Usually, the right solution for a corner will come from the proposed contents.

I have a few places for less - used and bulky things. Lots of people put vertical storage above the fridge; I have a narrow base cabinet next to the sink for cookie sheets and cutting boards, and a drawer for cake and pie pans. I put pull-outs over the fridge - full depth. One side is cereal; the other side is stock/canning pots, and paper towels (nothing too heavy over my head).

My cabinets go to the ceiling, so I have upper shelves to give me more space than I had before. I ordered extra shelves for almost all the uppers, so I can use the space efficiently without stacking.

Oh, and things that only get used once or twice a year go in the sideboard or basement.

Good luck!

• aliris19
    8 years ago

Texas - thanks to the Deedles-pointer. Like, wow what a kitchen and wow, what a great blind-corner solution! Though ... depends on your flooring; that thing has to roll smoothly and tile might hold up the proceedings.

I'm actually happy enough with the super susan in ours. I belly-ached about whether to super-susan the lazy susan and I can't believe in retrospect I spent so much energy wondering about this. There is little question at all, I believe now from this side of the fence, that the super susan is well worth the money. The difference is in the center post. Without it you can utilize enormously more space. It's not perfect because there's still the edges of the circle that get missed but you can actually stick stuff on the shelf in that space, it just doesn't move around to you. I suppose you could hang a hook to utilize the upper space too.

For us I think the super susan is a better use of that space (which you need considerable cabinet width to install on both sides of the corner - it's a large contraption) because it is more accessible. And not super-easy, so things like small appliances go in there and thermoses. We use these enough that I'd be annoyed to have to roll that stack in and out, but infrequently enough that I'm not annoyed by the twisting and stretching.

So it depends on your "lifestyle", stuff-use schedule and annoyance quotient I suppose. This is really something where reasonable minds can vary. But I'd say Deedles' solution is for truly rarely used items only, not just infrequently-used ones. YMMV.

Oh, as for nifty kidney-bean vs super susan thing -- cost matters; those kidney shelves cost a fortune. And I'm pretty sure they'll hold way less than a super susan which winds up just being a regular old large shelf. You can pack a lot in therefore. The kidney things are also very metal-y which is not terrible, just a different look and also utility - maybe a little less packing to be done around wire than around a flat wooden shelf (depending on whether the bottom is wire and I think most are?)

• User
    8 years ago

We are doing this

• cpartist
    8 years ago

That shelfgenie solution looks great.

I'm doing this in my new kitchen

Corner pullout drawers · More Info

In my current kitchen I have this and I love it. The only reason I'm not going with that again is age. I'm getting up there and figure drawers will be easier. Plus I will have more storage in my new kitchen (We're building a new home):
    Rev-A-Shelf 5PSP-15-CR Chrome Blind Corner Cabinet Organizer · More Info

• Diane Clayton
    8 years ago

I like the Rev-a-shelf system.

• User
    8 years ago

Montana -- how wide are your drawer rails and stiles? Very nice.

• beachem
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@annKH I thought about the diagonal with super Susan but it takes up so much space that I would lose my pantry. My only option was to maximize that dead corner.

I'm looking to maximize it by customizing the back drawers to take up the full space. I just need to know how people like the front caddy if anyone has used it.

Here's my mockup with a 26" drawer vs the 14" drawer they use.

The cardboard underneath is the full 48" cab size. You can see the drawer on top.