Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joel_rosenbaum

Can I plant apple trees here?

Joel Rosenbaum
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have a house with a smallish, nicely landscaped yard, most of which I'd like to leave untouched. However, there's one exception: the south end of the backyard. I won't belabor the details, but I *hate* these plantings. They throw off the entire balance of the landscape and are unhealthy, to boot

.I'd like to replace them with 1, maybe 2 semi-dwarf apple trees. Tall enough to provide some landscaping, but a manageable size for gathering fruit. I'm aware of the maintenance involved, and welcome it. This part of the yard has a generally exposed south face, but there is a large tree to the southeast that filters sunlight until mid-morning. Around late afternoon, the sun starts moving behind the neighbor's house. I'd say that in summertime, this particular spot gets >8 hours of full sun a day, with 1-2 more of filtered sunlight in the morning. Drainage seems "okay" although it does get fairly mossy over there.

Assuming I dig up the three loopy trees and (perhaps) the shrub Japanese Maple, would I have room for two trees? Or should I just plant one and hope for pollination from a neighborhood apple tree?

Comments (2)

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

You might try the gardenweb part of the forum for this question. Include your climate zone. In this case, I'd recommend talking to your local nursery staff about how much room a semi-dwarf apple will need, taking into account the nearby shading trees with roots already in place as well as the shading buildings. Apple trees are beautiful.

Joel Rosenbaum thanked apple_pie_order
  • Sigrid
    8 years ago

Someone might like the "loopy" trees. You should offer them to someone to dig up. A landscaper might remove them for free, since he can resell them.

Apples grow in all sorts of conditions, you should research a variety that will work with you. If your neighbor has an apple, I'd plan on that for pollination and plant something else for your second tree. Cherries are pretty and tasty, but pears work, too. You want them on dwarfing roots, because nothing is more irritating that a lush, ripe, beautiful pear 8 feet above your head when you know it will get bruised in the fall.

If you live in the right zone for apricots or peaches, you could do that. A tree-ripened peach is a truly wonderful fruit, nothing at all like the hard, flavorless things that get sold as peaches today.

Joel Rosenbaum thanked Sigrid