Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
here2learn_z8

Please help - maple sapling

I recently bought a house and it came with a maple sapling in the backyard. I haven't been able to definitively ID it based on google searches, but I think it could be a red maple based on the leaf shape?

The sapling has very few leaves (based on what I imagine it should have), and the leaves it does have do not look healthy. I don't think it's just fall leaf drop because we've been having record high temperatures. It is located in central TX (zone 7-8b depending on where you look), and it gets some morning shade from the house and then afternoon sun. It is near another tree which was IDed as a ligustrum by the sellers which appears to have recently had a lot (~ 3/4) of the canopy die out (supposedly too many competing trunks). We've been cutting out the dead material from this tree - it seems like the dead bits have been dead for a very long time because they were very dry and brittle. I mention this in case it could be affecting the health of the maple.

Questions: What is wrong with it? How should I care for it? I added the red mulch around the base (It looks much more lopsided in the photo than I thought it was - oops) because I read it should be mulched to the drip line - that was all the mulch I had on hand but I can buy more. We don't get much rain here - should I be giving it regular supplemental water? I read that maples like evenly moist soil; that seems like a bad fit for central TX.

If it does survive, can anyone help me ID it so I can estimate the mature size of the tree? I want to make sure it isn't too close to the house.

Thank you all for your time! This is my first post so constructive feedback is welcome.

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

I believe huggorm is correct - Platanus, not Acer, and with the evidence of sycamore anthracnose that is so common to that species in dry climates.

• here2learn (Zone 8 TX)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you huggorm and gardengal48! You both appear to be right - it definitely looks more like a sycamore, and with the anthracnose fungus as gardengal48 suggested.

Some quick googling makes this sound like a disease that will require ongoing treatment and maintenance in the form of systemic fungicides. Will fungicide treatment followed by good sanitation be sufficient or will fungicide need to be re-applied each year? I read that it is safe to compost the affected leaves - is that really true?

Does it seem like would it be better to just scrap the little guy and replace him with something tougher while it's still young, or is it worth it to keep up with the maintenance?

Also, should I move this question over to the general "trees" thread now that I know I chose the wrong forum?

Thank you!

• Huggorm
    8 years ago

Do you have space for a sycamore? They grow enormous. If not, you should replace it with something smaller.

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago

How are you going to treat it when it gets large?

I'd dump it. They're not good looking trees in my opinion, especially if you have to treat them. I know you would appreciate the shade, but there are other, better looking trees that would fit the bill.

Mike

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

No need to move your post - we maple people are general tree people as well:-) We just like maples a lot!

And the answer to your question is pretty simple. The anthracnose will be an ongoing problem if conditions exist for its development and regular, at least annual, treatments will be required to control it. It is seldom a fatal affliction but it can cause defoliation and that can weaken the tree, leading to other issues. Plus, a tree with anthracnose always looks pretty funky and unhealthy.

The pathogen that causes sycamore anthracnose is unique to that species so composting the diseased leaves should not pose any problems unless lots of other sycamores in the vicinity and the composting process not very thorough.

Although a diseased sycamore will not grow as fast or as large as a perfectly healthy tree, they can get quite large and maybe not the best choice for a suburban garden. I'd look into replacing the tree with something that will be more attuned to your specific climate and location, like a native Texas species or something like a Shantung maple, Acer truncatum, which is very well adapted to a TX planting situation.

• Huggorm
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'd dump it. They're not good looking trees in my opinion, especially
    if you have to treat them. I know you would appreciate the shade, but
    there are other, better looking trees that would fit the bill.

Mike

----------------------------------

Only this species or all platanus? I'm not familiar with p. occidentalis but I like the London planetree a lot.

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago

Only that tree in that location.

I'm not familiar with any of the London Plane trees and, or, Sycamores at all. They're out of scale for the average residential garden, no Fall color, and giant leaves, plus they're prone to be sick in a lot of areas. That's a lot not to like about them. I have 10 acres and wouldn't even consider having one.

I guess they looked OK in Dallas and Paris when I was there though.

Mike

• here2learn (Zone 8 TX)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone! Your input has been invaluable, I really didn't even know where to begin trying to figure out what was going on with that little guy before your help! It's been decided - the sycamore must go.