Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cnettrouer

Rockin Horse Farm by DE Wiggins

C Nettrouer
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Looking for feedback on "Rockin Horse Farm" by DE Wiggins.
Planning to build on 5 acres in NE Indiana for the wife and I within the next 2 years. We have no kids and are in our late 30s. Our parents are in good health, but do foresee grandparents needing help here soon. The wife's GPs are in their late 80s, early 90s and living on their own. They live in a 2 story house and still do most of their own yard work. I do want to offer them a place to stay when they are ready.

Our current home is 1800 sq/ft ranch, 3 bed, 2 bath on a crawlspace. Nothing special, just a typical builder-grade tract house on a quiet 1 acre lot. We do like our location and the house is adequate for 2 people but would be tight for future guests.
The 2 biggest issues with our current home is it lacks storage space (basement) and does not fit with my work lifestyle.

I work as a locomotive engineer and am unfortunately on call 24/7. Many say working for the railroad is a "lifestyle" instead of a job, because your life revolves around the railroad. I receive numerous calls throughout the night related to work which disrupts the wife's sleep (very light sleeper). Getting ready for work is also an issue as she usually can hear me in the kitchen or typing away at the keyboard in the next room. Our previous house was a 2 story (w/ basement) and allowed me to get ready on a different floor to prevent waking her.

The short list of our requirements:

- 4 bedroom (3 bedroom + office)

- 3 bathrooms (at least 1 per floor)

- main level master bedroom & guest bedroom

- 10' poured basement (unfinished)

- over-sized 2 car side load garage

- radiant hot water heat

- energy efficiency and low maintenance exterior are higher priorities that interior finishes

- budget $400k

I do plan on contacting an architect when I get further along to polish the design and make sure there are no glaring mistakes. So far I'm drawn to "Rockin Horse Farm" by DE Wiggins because of the main level layout. I'm not a fan of the vaulted family room / foyer. I would also like to change the second floor layout after the vaulted family room/foyer are removed.

Right now I'm just concentrating for suggestions on the main level.

"Rockin Horse Farm" by DE Wiggins

- 1953 Sq Ft ( First Floor), 461 Sq Ft (Second Floor) + 529 Bonus.

My list of changes for the main level:

- Remove vaulted ceiling in family room & foyer

- Change garage to side load (10' wide garage doors)

- Add a foyer closet if possible

- Change master bathroom toilet door to a pocket door

- Standard size refrigerator instead of built-in

- Add windows to front of garage

- Remove the perimeter step in the garage

- Add linen closet by main level bathroom (cut into master closet)

- Increase size of master shower

- Remove door to basement steps and open stairway.

Comments (151)

• Crystal King
    7 years ago

Starting to to look and few more like a house! This week lighting, plumbing and tile work!

• Reda Tabor
    7 years ago

I LOVE the stove hood....just what I want in our house!!! I plan to go with the vintage/off white cabinets in the kitchen with a dark wood island. Keep us posted as things come together!!

• Crystal King
    7 years ago

• Crystal King
    6 years ago

• Crystal King
    6 years ago

• harper11
    6 years ago

Absolutely beautiful, Crystal! I love it!

• Farmhouse Family
    6 years ago

Crystal, your home is gorgeous!!

• Farmhouse Family
    6 years ago

I'm curious about the building timeframe......how many months does it take to complete this home?

• Crystal King
    6 years ago

It's taken us 7 months

• am_bedwell
    6 years ago

Crystal your home is stunning!

• am_bedwell
    6 years ago

Ours will be complete in about 11 months

• kevinsmiley
    6 years ago

Crystal,

What stone did you use for the fireplace? It is stunning.

• Crystal King
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone! Kevin, it's man made stone I can't remember the color couch but I can find out! I had them leave out the darker burgundy tones so it could keep to my color scheme

• ajeanneret
    6 years ago
    This may be very tacky, so please forgive me in advance, but would you be willing to share the final total cost to build? You're finishes and taste is beautiful and very similar to what we'd like but we will need a basement since we live in the Midwest. I know that adds on a great deal to the final cost so my husband and I are trying to see if this plan is even feasible for us to consider. I'm so excited for you ladies and I don't even know you!! Haha!
  • Ktdh
    6 years ago

Beautiful Crystal, love the kitchen especially the farmhouse sink. Would you mind sharing the brand? Thanks :)

• Crystal King
    6 years ago

The sink is Blanco and the costs will definitely vary depending on areas. It's roughly $115-120 per sq ft. It was around $108 per sq ft but all of our upgrades and overages put us over a little bit which was to be expected. I need to say, you can finish it out expensively (easy) or you can put your time and research into the home and save a lot of $ which I did. It took me almost 20 hours at least going to pick out our lighting, digging through magazines, looking and comparing online it was time consuming finding what I wanted on a budget but it can be done! The design I did not want to skimp out on so to achieve my look I had to find the best prices!

• ajeanneret
    6 years ago
    Thanks so much for sharing! I'm willing to put in the additional time to get what we want for the right price and my husband is able to do the entire HVAC plumbing and tile so I'm hoping we would save there as well. I hope you enjoy it. You have done a lovely job!
  • Kristen Ralls
    6 years ago
    Crystal, what wall color and trim color did you choose for the living room? Is it Sherwin Williams?
  • Crystal King
    6 years ago

Kristen, I used all Benjamin Moore paint. On my walls it's Classic Gray and my trim is Simply White

• Amy Flowers Bromley
    6 years ago
    Finally my cabinets are going in! I am so happy to see my builder finally work on my house. This is taking soooooo long!
  • ajeanneret
    6 years ago
    Amy, I love your colors. Especially the contrasting island! It's gorgeous!!
  • Amy Flowers Bromley
    6 years ago
    We finally moved in!!!
  • Crystal King
    6 years ago

Amazing! Amy your home is so beautiful!

• jaynjess71
    6 years ago

Hi may I ask how on earth you found a builder to do this for $115 - $120 a sf? We are looking to build a different plan by David E Wiggins (Aliste Verde) on our 2.5 acre lot in upstate South Carolina (York County) with similar selections (maybe slightly less fancy) than what you've chosen and I can't find anyone who will quote us under $140 - $160 per sf! So frustrating.

• Judy Ilacqua-Loubier
    6 years ago
    We live in New Hampshire and our cost is much higher. Probably $200 per sq ft.
  • Amy Flowers Bromley
    6 years ago
    Ours wound up being around 105.00 a s.f. that includes porches and garage around 4000s.f. We started ours back 16mos. ago before prices jumped. If we where to turn around and sale it would go for 135.00 to 140.00 a s.f. We have 8 acres.
  • kevinsmiley
    6 years ago
    I should be finishing up my house in York, SC within three to four weeks and the costs have definitely gone up in last 12 to 18 months. With that being said, the price that you were quoted did not seem out of line. I was originally quoted around $145 a square foot but it ended up being higher due to various reasons but mainly because of the allowances were too low for my taste.
  • jaynjess71
    6 years ago

Wow Kevin you're in my neck of the woods! Do you mind sharing with me who your builder is?

• kevinsmiley
    6 years ago
    Southern Builders in Rock Hill, SC
  • Bob Blazinic
    6 years ago
    Hi Kevin, We are in Charlotte and love this plan. Do you have pics that you would be willing to share?
  • kevinsmiley
    6 years ago
    I will be out there in a few days to take some pics.

However, I don’t mind if you want to see it in person.
  • Bob Blazinic
    6 years ago
    My wife and I would love to see it! Let us know where it's located!
  • kevinsmiley
    6 years ago
    Hey Bob

Send me your mobile number and I will text you.

Kevin
  • Bob Blazinic
    6 years ago
    Kevin - my cell 417-350-3790
  • Tracie Hoo-Glinton
    6 years ago
    Crystal, love your style. Any update pictures on interiors. Would love to see what design choices you made now that you have moved in!
  • K Polk
    6 years ago

Hello, I am thrilled to come across this thread. My husband and I are considering building this floor plan. Thank you for all the wonderful ideas and pictures!!!

Crystal, can you show your floor plan? I am interested to see how the stairs changed the layout of the 1st and 2nd level.

Thank you!

• Crystal King
    6 years ago

• Crystal King
    6 years ago

Master

• Crystal King
    6 years ago

So many people reach out and ask me to see the plan, let me see if I can post the videos I sent them which might make it easier to see inside this awesome house!

• Crystal King
    6 years ago

Well it won’t let me, but I’m on FB Crystal Bethel King if you’d like to PM me and I can send them to you.

• Crystal King
    6 years ago

Entry, dining, and front door

• Crystal King
    6 years ago

• Danielle Powers
    6 years ago

Amy!!!!

I am so glad I found you.

We have just ordered our plans today. I have looked and looked for a blog about the Rockin’ farmhouse for months. I found it today!!

We have looked at the pictures posted on AD’s website a thousand times and have had to use our imagination. You and Crystal have answered so many of our question but we still have so many more .

Are you still open to the idea of allowing someone visit your home? We would LOVE to visit and see exactly how it all comes together.

We are located near Nashville.

Danielle

• lindavana
    6 years ago

Crystal - your home is lovely! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the kitchen island pendants? I really like them. .. and what is the stone you used for your fireplace? We are breaking ground very soon ... not on the same plan but more of a ranch and your choices would fit very well. Happy Home!

• Crystal King
    6 years ago

We purchased them through a store called Lighting Emporium in Arkansas. The stone is called Buckingham. So exciting for you!!

• tracykelly
    6 years ago

Crystal - your home is GORGEOUS! I stumbled across this house plan yesterday. Like you, there are a few modifications/customizations I would like to make to the original plans. I am interested in seeing exactly where you relocated your stairs - where you took space from and how it impacted the flow of your spaces.

• Crystal King
    6 years ago

It took space from my dining and kitchen but not much, and also changed the entry to upstairs. There’s about 4 feet from my front door to the bottom of the first stair, it goes up into a landing and then turns right to go upstairs.

• Crystal King
    6 years ago

Front entry and you can see the door that is in between our dining and kitchen, that space is underneath our staircase. And because this plan lacks closet space, it’s our coat closet and it’s pretty spacious for a vacuum and a few open shelves

• Crystal King
    3 years ago

Hi, sure Can. I have several pictures posted above on this thread. What would you like to see pictures of and I can send them

• Britt B
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hey Crystal! You house is beautiful and exactly what we are looking for. Do you have a picture of the floor plan with your modifications?