Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janedoe2012

Basement dig out - lowering basement floor

janedoe2012
8 years ago
I am having a little trouble getting estimates for this. One guy came from over an hour away. He seemed great, but never provided an estimate.

Another guy required me to pay for plans (a few thousand) and I ended up with plans that were not as detailed as I thought they should be for what I paid. I don't think they were construction drawings - not enough detail on electrical, plumbing, etc. And the estimate included windows, but no detail on the specs - just height and width.

Plus, his estimate was to totally renovate the basement, add a new exterior entry, all new windows, bathroom, cabinetry, etc. I tried to sit down with him and separate basics from the bells and whistles and it was impossible. It was a 24 page estimate, but half the items were zero'ed out. Also, he didn't consider the possibility of leaving a 2' deep perimeter ledge to avoid having to underpin the entire foundation perimeter. Long story short, I got concerned that I was dealing with a smoke and mirrors situation and passed on working with him. I think he as only interested in doing a 200k ++ luxury finished basement.

I don't want all that. I want a basement. With bathroom plumbing roughed in and probably radiant heat in a new concrete floor (separate system).

Simple sheet-rocked ceiling and basic electrical. All to code, all permits, not cutting corners, just very basic.

Currently I have a basement with max 6' headroom (front of house) and a dirt crawl space rear of house. The total area is about 50' x 34'. 20' x 50 is basement and 14' x 50 is 3' to 4' high dirt crawl space. There is a 4' high, 50' long concrete wall separating the basement and crawlspace.

Access is down narrow interior stairs and form an exterior Bilco door.

The house is a hundred years old and sprawling. Jacking it up is absolutely not an option.

Does anyone have any advice on how to find the best contractor for this job? Or a rough idea of what the job should cost? I know the answer is "a lot," but is this a 100k job or a 200k++ job? Does it really save money to leave a shelf around the perimeter? I am in an expensive area outside NYC.

I have done lots of renovation projects and I generally understand why things cost what they do. But this is beyond me - there are too many engineering details. How do I find someone I am comfortable with to do this job? I can't keep paying for estimates and I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but I have done about 100 internet searches and. I am still not clear on how to proceed with this. Would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this.

Comments (31)

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

If you have used good contractors in the area, call them and ask who they would recommend.

janedoe2012 thanked apple_pie_order
  • shivece
    8 years ago
    We have done something similar. Our 1700's house had a stone foundation and we made it watertight and insulated and lowered the floor and put in a plain new concrete floor. No bathroom, no bells and whistles. It cost a fortune. The guy wants to do it up fancy because the basic cost is so high you may as well spend a little more and have something to show for your $$$. Yours might be easier because it sounds like you may be able to get in from an open side. But that doesn't change the fact that they are working under the house and can't impact the frame. They can't use normal equipment - only a teeny, tiny excavator and hand shovels and a jackhammer from time to time. And they have to be really careful in a very limited space. Good luck!
    janedoe2012 thanked shivece
  • User
    8 years ago

300K +. Mostly labor. Difficult to access areas that are structurally critical aren't ever going to be cheap to do. Selling the house and buying one with the basement that you want will be cheaper.

• User
    8 years ago

Contractors present whole projects, not pick apart estimates. If you want to cut costs, just don't do the project at all. There is nothing at all cheap about hand digging a basement in Westchester. Or anywhere else for that matter. 90% of the project costs are the structural construction components that you can't do anything about eliminating.

janedoe2012 thanked User
  • janedoe2012
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@apple_pie_cider - I lived outside this area for some time and don't know a lot of contractors. I did contact one I worked with 10+ years ago. I gave them the plans and then didn't hear back (although I think they had a death in the family and I do plan to touch base with them). The contractor I have used recently for smaller jobs isn't up to this one and he didn't know anyone.

@shivece - Thanks for the info. I am wondering if the reason the contractor wanted to build an elaborate entry was because it would be necessary to expose the exterior of the foundation wall to get the equipment in. But he should have said that.

@Sophie Wheeler - the estimate for a finished basement was less than $300k, so you are incorrect. I have been having trouble finding information on this and I am very wary of estimates like $60k I see thrown around on message boards. I am aware it is an expensive job, but it isn't $300k.

@GreenDesigns - It makes a lot of sense that if 90% of the job is the structural work then it is cost efficient to just do it all up. But I need a contractor who is willing to say that. I am not going to sign a contract for a job this expensive with someone who is being evasive about the source of the costs. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a contractor to be able to say what it would cost for just the structural work. I paid a fee of several thousand dollars for rudimentary plans (and i made it clear from the outset that I really only wanted a basement). I wasn't wasting anyone's time. If he had simply said, "You will only save 10% by eliminating the extras." I could have gone from there.

I was hoping to do it for < $150k. If I can't, then it probably isn't worth it. I can just get the crawlspace area sealed. This is not a job I am going to try and cut corners on. I just want a better sense of what it *should* cost. Based on the estimate I did get and the responses here, I am guessing it might be close to 200k. But I hope I can confirm.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Not many companies will take on to do this type of a job. You need to find a company who is specializing in structural work and after all that work is done, you can start looking for a regular constructing company who can finish your basement...that is why you having bad luck finding a contractor or when you do they're not returning because they cannot handle this job.

janedoe2012 thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • janedoe2012
    Original Author
    8 years ago

GN Builders - that makes a lot of sense. If the contractor's profit margin is in the finishing and they have to outsource the foundation work, then a customer who only wants the foundation work isn't going to generate enough profit for them.

But they obviously won't say, "Hey, just go direct to my foundation guy." I can understand that.

Do you think a company specializing in structural work be willing to deal directly with a homeowner?

• PRO
    All Around Grounds
    8 years ago
    You say you paid for plans. If they are stamped plans from an engineer or architect you should be able to get estimates from mason contractors although most probably are not that interested in doing this kind of work. If your plans are not drawn and stamped by a licensed architect or engineer they are worthless and most contractors would not bid off them let alone do the work.
    janedoe2012 thanked All Around Grounds
  • shivece
    8 years ago
    I think Sophie is right on the money for what you want to do and where you are, by the time it is all said and done. We are in a cheaper area, with a smaller footprint, dug down a lot less over a much smaller area, had a lot less than what you want done and it cost at least $200,000. Sorry I can't say exactly how much - it was part of a larger scope. You should have seen the guys trying to work that dinky excavator and hand digging in the confined space..... I think we would have been better off if we had demolished the house and started over. Or gone for Sophie's idea of buying a different house. Both of those options seemed impossible at the time due to a number of complications. Love our house now, but If there was a do over we would be looking at other options way more closely.
  • janedoe2012
    Original Author
    8 years ago

All Around Grounds - I was disappointed with the detail in the plans and they are not stamped.

I understand that people would not want to bid off them. I would be willing to pay an engineer for plans if I I was reasonably sure the job was economically feasible, but it seems like it may not be.

• janedoe2012
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I think I may have been a little unclear on the scope of the work. I want a basement, but not a 1700 sq ft basement. 400 sq ft or more would work for my needs, but I am assuming it would make the most sense to dig out the maximum area that would not require foundation underpinning or moving the mechanicals. I am guessing that would be around 800 sq ft.

I got an estimate for around 225k for about 1000 sq ft, finished from a guy who does pretty high-end basements. I don't think paying $225 per square foot is wise in terms of resale. I don't expect to get 100% back, but the idea of paying over $200 /sq ft for basement space makes me nervous.

So if finish work is only 10% of the total cost, that would put the structural work at around $200k for 1000 sq ft.

I think $25k for a finished bathroom, new, larger windows, deeper window wells, interior walls, closets, and a new excavated entry area with a door and several windows and exterior brick masonry is low, so I suspect the structural work is less than $200k. It definitely can't be $300k. But maybe it could cost $300k for a 1700 sq ft basement.

I am guessing the house is only worth about a million. If I thought a finished basement with a bedroom and bath would up the value to near 1.2, I might have gone with the $225k estimate. But I just don't think it would. And I certainly don't want to pay 20% more in taxes for the next however many years!

I will try and contract contractors who do structural work and see if I can get feedback from them, or an engineer recommendation.

I really thought that the structural work ONLY would be about $100/sq ft. I was anticipating the total costs to be higher, depending on the exact dimensions and location of the digout. But it's possible the other references I have seen are way off base.
  • PRO
    MARK IV Builders, Inc
    8 years ago

If you are in the DC metro region, send me a note. We dig out about one basement a year. It is expensive as mentioned by others, and certainly requires an experienced professional. But for the homeowners who've hired us, they wanted a basement and did not want to move. I'm attaching a link to a time-lapse video we made so you can see what a dig out actually looks like. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/basement-addition-90-sec-time-lapse-video-of-basement-digout-dsvw-vd~2831523?n=1

• janedoe2012
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you Mark IV, I will check out the link, but I am in the metro NYC area.

I found a local architect who is very experienced with local zoning, permits, etc. Turns out I have better options than I realized for a garage. I would still like LOVE some basic basement space I could put a treadmill in, but the garage will alleviate 90% of my storage issues. So for now the basement is on hold.
  • janedoe2012
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Update - in the course of discussions with my garage contractor, I decided to have him bring another guy in to check out the basement.

He gave me an estimate under $30k for a much smaller area - maybe 15z20. Now, this was a little bit of a back of the envelope estimate, but I did get it in writing. We will have to iron out the exact scope of the work (I have hired an engineer separately for the plans and permit requirements). I am guesstimating that given the reasonable estimate, I will end up doing a little more than we went over in our initial discussion. And I will still have some dirt crawlspace area that will need to be sealed at additional expense. Also, this doesn't include electrical (very minimal, there are already ceiling lights) or any HVAC (not needed, all I want is a basement), or foundation underpinning (which is the technique I had been asking for all along. I don't mind a shelf around the perimeter of the dug out space).

But my contractor is not some fly by night low bidder. So clearly, it IS possible to get an (unfinished) basement dug out for far, far less than my other estimate and some of the numbers in this thread.

I don't think my initial estimate was way too high, it just wasn't for the work I wanted.
  • PRO
    Linda
    8 years ago

Good job on finding a contractor who understood what you wanted. Some contractors only want to work on portfolio projects, not practical ones. Nothing wrong with that approach but it can be difficult to find the guys who do good solid basic boring work.

• User
    8 years ago

30K for an unknown scope of work is not anyone's idea of a less costly project. Especially since it doesn't include anything.

• janedoe2012
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Sophie, it is not an unknown scope of work. Your comment makes no sense. It doesn't include anything?

It includes digging down 3' in a 20' x 15' area, removing the debris and dirt, and pouring a new concrete floor. How is this not including anything?

I am pleased to have found a contractor who is willing to let me define the scope of the work, and who has provided a very reasonable written estimate. So I plan to increase the scope of the work beyond what we originally discussed. Obviously MORE work will cost MORE money. If this turns out to be less cost effective, I will revert back to the original estimate and get a 300 square foot basement for under $30k.

Either way, I will be very happy.
  • tsudhonimh
    7 years ago

Pics of the project?

• janedoe2012
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sure. but not until tomorrow or Saturday.

It's just a dingy unfinished basement,. But it is a palace compareded to the "before."

• mmfunkyd
    6 years ago

Wow! Glad you made it work. I'd be interested in being referred to your contractor. I'd like to drop about 400 sq ft of our basement a couple feet lower, along with a handful of other reno projects we're considering. We're in Jersey, so potentially within the work area of your person.

I'm also interested in knowing a bit behind how you went about getting the estimates. Did that cost money? We've got basically 7 projects in this house we bought of varying levels of scope and priority. And we're interested trying to get a ballpark figure for what kind of cost we're looking at, so we can decide if and when to take on each of them.

Also, would love to see those photos!

• janedoe2012
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Mmfunkyd,

The estimate didn't cost any money, as the work was done by the contractor who was already building a two-car garage and gutting and remodeling my kitchen, a bedroom, and a bathroom.

I did get engineer's plans for the permit and they were reviewed by my municipality. I would NOT do this without an engineer, but I think that was about $1000. The engineer was a great guy - everyone really liked him, but he ended up having some issues with follow up. Things get very delayed because of his lack of responsiveness.

As you can see - this is still a yucky old basement. It is just a little over two feet deeper. Now it works for my 6'4" 16 y.o., and his 6' + baby brother. Before even I couldn't stand up straight, and I am only 5'10"! The floor is poured now, and steel columns have replaced the wood supports. We did have some shifting in the house, which was worrisome, but nothing since the steel supports were installed, and I that was at that was at least 3 months ago.

My advice to anyone interested in something similar, who is also having other work done, is this - look for a decent contractor for the other jobs and be upfront about what you want to achieve. Find someone flexible, and see If they are interested in doing this just b as an add-on. In the end, it was very labor intensive, but NOT rocket science. Any decent contractor would have been able to do it.

I don't think my contractor works in NJ, but I really think any decent contractor can do this job.

Photo is from before the floor was poured. I can't get a better photo now, because the RTA Barker kitchen cabinets, and everything that will eventually go on the garage is being stored there.
  • PRO
    The Basement Kings
    6 years ago

Just checking to find out did you have this basement sealed? A Healthy Basement Certificate is offered up in your area. Grate Drain products offer the contractors a lifetime transferable warranty that your basement will never leak.

• ljbwilk
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for continuing to post updates of your project. We (giants) are in the same boat with our new house (built for hobbits). We have a huge basement and a large third floor that are both about 6'1 ceiling height which is just brutal because we have lots of space-- it's just not usable space. If there's anything that irritates me-- it's wasted space. Space to break, heat, clean, repair, maintain but not use? Another house in this neighborhood would be impossible to find so moving is not an option and space is at a premium so I do not want to add on. Anyway, thanks again for all of this info and for sticking with the thread despite the some of these illogical and aimlessly hostile responses.

janedoe2012 thanked ljbwilk
  • leonluke
    3 years ago

I've been looking all over for a contract company to lower the basement floor of an existing home in Wisconsin. Anyone with advice, please reach out! Thank you!

• Tova Bourque
    3 years ago

Hi,

I am moving to westchester and am interested in learning who your contractor was?

• Frank Desiderio
    3 years ago

hi @janedoe2012; glad this worked out for you. We're on the west side of the river in NY. Would love if you could share contractor name. Happy to provide my email address.

• HU-432591032
    2 years ago

this was very interesting @janedoe2012 as i'm planning to do the same in westchester. Would love to speak to your contractor as well! thanks very much.

• Jacob Ravel
    2 years ago

I tried to carry out such work myself, but without success. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to turn to the professionals I found on the site https://csgrenovation.ca/bradford/basement-renovations/. Otherwise, I would have to pray that the rains would not wash away the foundation of the entire house. My hands are growing out of my ass. This is the only excuse for me.

• Catrina Alister
    2 years ago

Though I discovered the question too late, it immediately remind me an article I just saw. Maybe will be useful for someone: https://medium.com/@a.zond/the-basics-of-basement-design-58ae02e9ceb9

• Alice Dalessandro
    2 years ago

I did one in a small house. Benched the foundation and finished it. I was only going down another foot and a half. It’s a huge dirty job but some of the prices you are quoting are insane. I also did a Waterguard system and a sump pump because just in case.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals