Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Should I give up the Kohler Stages 45 for a better kitchen layout?

mrspete
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I want the Kohler Stages 45 sink. I really, really, really want this sink, and since I am a serious cook out uses LOADS of fresh vegetables, I would appreciate the function ... but I also do not want to expand the size of the kitchen. Please look at these pictures and tell me whether my stubborn determination to have this sink is hurting my plan:

I'm "set" on the location of the range, and the lazy susan in the corner is a "must have". The corner sandwiched between the sink and the dishwasher will open to the "outside" of the U -- that's actually a good thing; that cabinet'll be for BBQ items. BUT this all means that the 48" sink hogs all the space in the center of the U ... pushing the dishwasher to the peninsula. This means my total drawer space INSIDE the U is

- 18-20" drawer stack to the left of the sink

- 30" drawer stack to the right of the dishwasher.

I'm thinking that the small area to the right of the range will be a cabinet for oils and vinegars, and I'll have large drawers (and cabinets above) OUTSIDE the U for dish storage. One plus: Unloading the dishwasher will be easy /convenient for these drawers.

Thing is, the sink is pushing everything around ... and as much as I want this sink, I'm wondering if it'd be more practical to go with a large sink, still with the "ledges" for use with accessories -- but something that'd fit into a 36" sink base -- and then have the granite installer "scoop out" something similar to the ledge in the granite. I'm thinking it could work out like this:

I could have the "scooped out" counter top ledge (which I don't think would be quite as nice as the Stages ledge) on either the left or the right. This would make my shelves nicer /all on peninsula.

Of course, I'm not missing an obvious negative here: When the dishwasher is open, it'd cover some of the shelves. This was not a problem in the first drawing.

Thoughts?

Comments (24)

• practigal
    8 years ago

Personally the longer that I looked at the little bowls and such on the side the less useful I thought it would be. It's basically 33 inch sink with a below counter drainboard. Have you ever wanted a drainboard sink before? Have you looked at Kohler's prolific, poise and 8 degree?

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

If you go with the stages, could you put the dw here on the end to make it easier for loading?

• sherri1058
    8 years ago

Quick question. What is it about the stages sink that is so special? (Don't mean to be flippant, it's just I haven't spent any time looking at it). Oh, and by the way, don't make me cancel my sink order!

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Sherri, if you go to Kohler's website, there are videos showing how people use it. To me, it seemed to complicate things so I think it's an YMMV thing. Those that have them seem to really love them.

MrsPete, I dunno. I, too, cook with a lot of fresh veggies and, as I just stated to Sherri, I thought the Stages looked like it would make the process more complicated, not less. Have you actually had a chance to use one to see if you like it? If you have, then maybe the compromise will be worth it? I think we all end up making a compromise or two when planning our kitchens based on our own personal priorities and preferences. I wish I could advise you better. Sorry.

Hopefully, someone with one will pop in and be able to help you with this decision.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Practigirl, I don't care about the little bowls on the side, but, yeah, I grew up with a sink with an attached drainboard, and it was useful. The large size, too, is very appealing.

Ben-B, Yes, I considered that possibility. I tentatively rejected it, thinking that it's better to keep the sink and dishwasher as close together as possible. However, I don't know whether that's the right choice or not.

Sherri, This sink is great because it's super-large, it has ledges built into the sides so that cutting boards can be set "into" the sink so you can work "over" the sink /use the water, and it has a built-in drain board. You'll need to look at the information online to determine whether it's for you or not!

I agree that everyone ends up making compromises -- I'm just not sure which one to make.

• User
    8 years ago

MrsPete - I wouldn't want the DW so far from the sink. I did see somewhere that someone put the ledge over a DW. The DW was a euro make I think. good luck with your decision.

• sherri1058
    8 years ago

Maybe I should have said I didn't spend any time looking at it because it is stainless, and I refuse to have another stainless sink this time around. I do understand a big sink, and I also understand working over the sink, but in all honesty it isn't something that is a be all and end all for me. You may feel differently, and that's okay!! I have quartz now and it is super easy to work beside the sink and just sweep everything it. I may be in for a rude awakening when I put in my soapstone. :) As with everything, you need to make sure it is right for you.

• reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
    8 years ago

I'd look at other sinks and having a ledge/runnels cut into the countertop. I originally wanted the stages, but there was no way it would fit. I ended up with the Kohler Riverby. It, along with the Indio and prolific, have similar features of the stages so long as they are installed with a positive reveal.

• beachem
    8 years ago

They have a stages 33

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I think the 33 is too small to work as a main sink, because the shelf takes up space.

It is interesting to me that people think of the shelf as a drainboard. That's not how I really use it for the most part. I use it to store dirty knives until I get around to washing them. And I use it to scrub pots and pans--so much easier than reaching into the deep part of the sink. I do also use it as the place I set my colander when I rinse things or drawing pasta, which is sort of like a drainboard I guess. The shelf is my second favorite thing about the sink--it's sheer size is my favorite. I actually also have runnels on the other side of the sink and that is where I set dishes to dry.

I had plenty of room for the 45 in my sink run and it's one of my favorite parts of my new ktichen. But I am not much help in evaluating the trade offs in the rest of your space for getting one.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nightowl, I saw that! Thing is, they had to raise the cabinets by a few inches ... and I'm only 4'11" tall. For someone else, it's a great option. And, yes, I see it the same way you do: The cutting boards over the sink are super-easy-to-wash counter space.

However, that brings me to another wrinkle in this issue: With limited space, IF I go with the Stages, I'm going to have to go with custom-made cabinetry. It'll be necessary to get the unusual-sized drawers under the shelf on the left of the sink. Whereas, if I go with a sink that can fit into a 36" base, I can have a standard 24" base in that space ... and go with semi-custom. So, as I see it, I can buy the expensive sink PLUS the expensive cabinets ... or a moderately-priced sink and moderately-priced cabinets ... this will be a big difference in the bottom line, and while I'm willing to pay the higher price, I insist up on BIG value for the dollar, mega-function, top quality.

Sherri, I get that stainless doesn't appeal to you, and since this is a polarizing issue, I'm not trying to change your mind -- I totally agree that white sinks are more attractive. However, I've never had anything except stainless, and I like their features: easy to keep clean and indestructible.

Reese, Your solution is the one I'm considering, and IF I go this direction, I'd use either the Riverby or the Prolific ... however, they each have -- to my mind -- one negative: The Riverby isn't stainless, and I'm not sure I'd like the angled ledges on the Prolific (I'm not sure ALL cutting boards would work on it). Of course, the fact that these are significantly less expensive than the Stages is a factor too! While I'm willing to pay the price for things I really want, coming in under budget occasionally is a bonus.

CRL, I agree that the 33 is just too small. The size of the sink is the #1 attraction for me. I just got out the yardstick to look at sizes -- I'm a highly visual person -- and, no, whichever sink I choose, it will be BIG.

I'm sure that I'd use the drain board in the same way you are. But could I get the same function from a drainboard-built-into-the-granite-countertop?

• practigal
    8 years ago

There are many over the sink cutting boards and dishracks that are designed to span ANY undermount sink. I would not even consider a custom cabinet for a particular sink.

• User
    8 years ago

MsPete - when must you decide? I will make a video for you, but we are leaving town and I don't expect to have a functioning island before Christmas as we are waiting to decide on that counter top and back splash areas for last.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I do not think a drainboard would serve the same functions for me as the shelf does. It functions more as a shallow sink than as a drainboard for me. Ymmv.

• Oaktown
    8 years ago

The Stages 33 might or might not work for you, is there a way you could see or try it before you decide? We have a 33 as a prep/pot sink, but I think it would work fine as an only sink if it were just the 2 of us. (Not so convenient the way we cook now for 7).

We also use the shelf as a shallow sink during prep. During cleanup a roll up drying mat goes over the shelf for drying any cooking items that are being hand washed.

• bbtrix
    8 years ago

Mrspete, you know from my postings how I feel about the Stages45. I love it so much it will definitely be in my next kitchen too. I agree with all that crl_ has said.

I did not have to do custom cabinets to have my shelf over the neighboring cabinet. Find out what the clearance is for the cabinets you are considering. In your case, I would notch the Susan if the interior allowed for the 2" clearance required for the shelf. That would allow for the DW on the right of the sink.

My Stages and Karbon are indeed my favorites in my new kitchen and aids in the efficient running of our kitchen all day everyday.

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

I have heard that sink mentioned many times on this board but I actually looked at a YouTube video on it just now. No wonder you want it Mrs. Pete!

i don't have much to add except to say that my kitchen in my house before this house had a setup a lot like your new house with the peninsula. I loved that kitchen. The corner between the sink and the dw was accessed from the other side of the peninsula. I kept linens, etc. there.

the only thing between my sink and my dishwasher was a single trash pullout (same side as dw) whereas yours is right next to the corner. Does that make sense? It worked out very well. I stood to the left of my dw, in front of my sink and filled or emptied my dw and most of my dishes went right into uppers above on the wall to the right of my sink. I don't think you can have it so close to the corner, but that single trash pullout cabinet I had wasn't very big. It worked out well.

frankly, it was a better setup than what I have now with my big sink and dw on my island as far as convenience.

It sounds like you are worried about not having enough kitchen drawers if you go with this sink. if I remember right you have a large pantry that you could perhaps customize for some of your needs? I have pegboard that I use to hang a lot of my pots and pans.

Will you have plenty of uppers?

• beachem
    8 years ago

@mrspete I'm using a combination of a 36" cab and 18" cab for my Stages 45 with no special drawer order. I think bbtrix did the same on hers.

• scrappy25
    8 years ago

I have almost those same measurements, and placed my Stages 45 sink on the right arm on the layout (my peninsula) with the dishwasher in the middle of the U. That gave me a huge swath of additional prep space between the sink and the stove which has been great for a multiple cook situation. Also allows you to recoup access to that blind corner. Follows Marcolo's Ice-water-stone-fire perfectly. I would highly recommend that setup. You could perhaps do the same by using a 36" and a 15" cabinet on the right arm of the layout for the stages sink.

look halfway down the long reveal post for the new layout

• lannegreenelag
    8 years ago

Would a single dish drawer work for you? You could probably put the sink shelf over the drawer without raising the counter height.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

I don't see that anyone has mentioned this, but in your first drawing, the DW door will block the bowl end of the sink when open.

While the Stages 45 is super cool, I really don't think you have the space for it in the center of the U. I think a standard 36", counter runnels, and some over-sink accessories would be a better fit. Otherwise, you would need to put it on the peninsula like Scrappy did in her gorgeous kitchen.

• bbtrix
    8 years ago

When I saw your layout, Scrappy's was the first thing that came to mind as it is such a beautiful use of space. All you need to make it work is a 36 and 15, center or right side.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hmmm ... I'm going to study the 36+15 option ... but I'm also wondering if this sink is just too much for a kitchen this size.

No, I need more than one dish drawer. I own seven sets of dishes, and I'm not even a bit ashamed. Three sets are housed in my two china cabinets, so they won't live in the kitchen, but the others need a kitchen home.

Yep, I realize that the dishwasher opening "over" drawers and/or the range ... well, anything ... is an issue, and it's probably most difficult in a small U. It's one of the things I'm juggling.

Yes, I love Scrappy's kitchen, and I see mine as potentially very similar, which isn't surprising given that we're talking about similarly shaped and sized rooms -- Scrappy clearly made all the right choices, and I hope I'll be able to say the same things. I'm leaning now towards the idea of going with a smaller sink (though I think it might break my heart) AND moving it to the peninsula.

Thanks, all. I am still considering the possibilities.