Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magdalenalee_gw

Going into the Tote Business! Take my poll please!

MagdalenaLee
8 years ago

I'm a graphic designer and I have a friend with a screen printing press. Our idea is to sell printed reusable grocery shopping totes. Maybe on Etsy.

My preferred shopping tote is roomy with a flat bottom. I have one that I measured and think it's the perfect size: 14x15x8. I also prefer washable. And cute.

I'm thinking: the above size, natural cotton/canvas with a one color print (mainly black). The designs can be endless and we can have the operation set up for print-on-demand.

So those are my ideas, but what do you like?

Your preferred size?

Washable cotton or a polypropylene material?

Would organic/recycled sway you to purchase or would you pay extra?

How much would you pay plus shipping? $15 each? $20 each?

Are you thinking, "Cool idea." Or, "Are you crazy, I just use an old pillowcase!"

Comments (43)

• busybee3
    8 years ago

I would prefer a little larger- maybe 16x18 or 18x18/20...

if cotton, I would want very easily washed and dried- not too heavy... a blend or a soft polyprop would be fine too. I wouldn't like bags that stained and were difficult to get clean.

organic wouldn't sway me at all... I like recycled, but wouldn't pay more for it.

I ALWAYS like free shipping and for groceries, I would be more interested in 15$, tho really nice/clever designs might sway me to pay a little more, tho 20 still sounds high...

:)

• MagdalenaLee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Busy, thank you! That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

This design made me swoon!

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

I use a variety of totes in various sizes, but I think 14x15x8 is a decent size and something I would use.

Washable cotton, definitely. I sometimes use my totes to carry my lunch and/or a smoothie which has been known to leak.

I would not be swayed by organic/recycled.

I'd pay $15 to $20 and while free shipping would be nice, I would not expect to pay more than $3 for shipping.

Love the pedantic owl!

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

I like them Trader Joe's size, whatever that is, i.e. very similar to a standard grocery bag. Larger can make the bag to heavy. Smaller can make me feel like a bag lady if I need to carry, like 8 of 'em. I like a rectangular insert for the bottom so that it can stand up by itself. I hate when you put groceries in a tote and the bag slouches down around it! Perhaps the weight of the fabric or starch or something also impacts that? I would prefer organic/recycled, as I think most users of such a product would.

I think 20 sounds high, unless it's a fundraiser. They have become a very hot school fundraising item.

Good luck!

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I like the size. Is anyone making totes with designer fabrics and snap in waterproof liners? I used to buy original totes from a ebay seller and use them as a purse. I always got lots of compliments. I would pay good money for one with a removable waterproof liner.

Also like Mtn's thought of something on the bottom to help it sit. Seems like there would be a market for some higher end choices. Would also like a tote the exact size of a gallon of milk with a liner.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    8 years ago

Larger is better, washable, yes, recyclable/organic no. Yes, free shipping.

I would be looking for something of quality, i.e. a bag that would hold 50 lb's and not have the straps pull out. Seriously, this is what I had in my Aldi's bag recently - I know because the day before I was carrying 50lb in each hand doing farmer's lifts at the gym. My Aldi's bag felt the same.

• User
    8 years ago

I have a couple zip-top canvas totes from Lands End that are too heavy to use as a shopping bag. I keep them in the car to use for transport of other bags from the car to the house.

Have a Trader Joe's canvas tote that I really like along with their recycled totes. Since I already paid $15/$25 for the LE totes I wouldn't be inclined to do that again.

• User
    8 years ago

I don't know the size in measurements, but medium with thicker handles that don't cut into your hands. I also really appreciate a side pocket.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I'm going to agree with Mtn's specs, although I'm not going to pay more for organic/recycled. I think $20 is high, esp. without free shipping.

Honestly, the biggest challenge for me is to remember to take them into the darn store. I have plenty of paper bags and freebie totes sitting in my car at all times, and I'm lucky if I remember 50% of the time.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Me to Linelle! That's why I want something pretty.

• User
    8 years ago

I use them every time I shop, but honestly, it wouldn't interest me. I look at them all of three minutes while I pack up my groceries. I would need several, and at $15-20 a pop....

I think it's a good idea for farmers market shopping though, where you'd be carrying one around and might want something nicer. Our market allows craft vendors so I could see selling them right there where shoppers need them.

• Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

I use Trader Joe's polypro handled grocery bags for so many things and they only cost $1.00 each. I love the way they stand up on their own without an insert and can be washed out. I can't imagine why I would pay more. The other type of tote that I find invaluable is the one that folds up really tiny with a snap strap or integrated storage pouch. I keep one in my purse to use in non-grocery stores. I guess I'm not your target customer...sorry...but good luck with your venture.

• maddielee
    8 years ago

I only use totes for grocery shopping. I truthfully would not spend over $1.00 for one. Free is better.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

With totes being sold every where, I'm not sure someone would seek you out at Esty or other online store.

I'm also not sure if anyone will want to spend that kind of money on a tote. I only use large totes for grocery shopping. If I were to bring a tote to a clothing store a pharmacy etc. it would have to be a collapsible thin nylon version like Fun 2B mentioned. I can't see myself walking around with a large tote like you are describing at the mall.

What I would like to see is nice overall designs on the tote, almost designer. Sorry but the owl you pictured does nothing for me.

• User
    8 years ago

I do admit to forgetting mine at the grocery store BUT, I wouldn't limit your options to just totes for a grocery run. The majority of people where I live don't use them for that. I have one I use to carry my returns into the store with or things I need to bring back and forth from the car. I keep it by the door and just dump the whatever's in it so I won't forget them. I also have I one got from Vera Bradley that is quite large to hold my most current crochet projects in, it has pockets on the outside that are perfect to hold my needles, patterns and what nots in. I think they make great inexpensive gifts for friends or family that travel, have kids stuff to tote or even animals.

• joaniepoanie
    8 years ago

I feel the opposite....smaller is better. I currently use freebie giveaway ones we've collected over the years. They are 14x12x9. I like the size, but the problem is that the clerks fill them to the brim if I dont catch them in time. Then I can barely get them in and out of the trunk, much less the house. I'd rather have 8 lightweight bags to carry than 4 bags I can barely move.

The problem with canvas is that I think it could get very wrinkled in the washer/dryer. Also, beige will get dirty pretty quickly. Canvas might be better suited for totes for weekend trips or to carry laptops or books. I think the poly is better for groceries.

Something stiff on the bottom is good. I saved lids from the large buckets of cat food we would get from Costco. They are a perfect fit and work great but the clerks are always asking me what they are.

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

I'm another who won't be a customer. The local indie market sells a nice green bag for a buck.

• Oaktown
    8 years ago

This is a nice idea.

We have a plastic bag ban in our area so we bring our own all the time. I would consider buying printed canvas bags as gifts even though personally I prefer the (nylon?) bags that stuff into their own small pouch. I carry 3 of them in my purse at all times. I think I paid just under $10 each, but this was at a fundraiser. They have held up well with regular use over the course of 2 years. I also have some sturdy canvas ones that live in the car trunk most of the time (printed with the kids' artwork, for school fundraising).

• gramarows
    8 years ago

I appreciate heavyweight cotton bags and would pay a small premium for organic as the amount of pesticides in regular cotton can be high. Not sure what design I would find appealing as sometimes my preference is for plain (not just in totes!) Good luck with your venture!

• rosesstink
    8 years ago

I'm not interested in cute or clever designs on my totes. Grocery store totes I just want to be strong and washable. I have a zip top LL Bean tote that I use to transport my shoes, lunch, etc. in the winter. The zip top is great for keeping the snow out. I also use it to carry books and other miscellaneous items on vacation. Those two types of totes are all I need.

I assume you will have to buy the blank totes? Make sure to get some samples to see how well made they are and how they wash.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 years ago

I make my own tote bags & my favorite for groceries is made from sturdy Laura Ashley decorator cotton & modeled on a classic grocery sack - same measurements. I've had it for many years now & it's still going strong - handles are triple thickness, extra wide & topstitched. I have a trader Joe's basic bag, but those are pretty flimsy & handles don't support as much weight. I can stuff my own tote up to the top w/ heavy items - it's tough. I get compliments on the pretty floral fabric too.

• chispa
    8 years ago

I have some that I bought when we lived in Japan and I thought they were great, so I bought a bunch to bring back as presents for family. They pretty much comment about how great the bags are at every supermarket I visit! They can hold a lot, fold up small and can be washed. I paid about $30 for them 6 years ago.

Here is a link, in Japanese, but it shows the size and some different prints. I have some that are covered in a strawberry pattern and everyone loves those. The last trip DH made, I had him buy more and he only found some with cats on them!

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/rootote/2311/

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

I like the Trader Joes bags, perfect size, lightweight, inexpensive so no problem if it gets damaged, cute designs, bright colors.

• Olychick
    8 years ago

I think if you have specialized graphics like the owl, you could find a niche market for people shopping for gifts. Everyone can use another tote; something for the person who has everything. I have one some friends gave me that says Bird Nerd on the outside and I use it to hold my bird watching books and binocs. Birders would probably pay more for organic/recycled (I would). I have one canvas bag that has some kind of waxy finish on the inside that makes it nice for putting damp things in (like produce from the farmer's market).

I especially like handles that are stiffer so they kind of stand up by themselves and don't fold over into the bags as much as some. I also appreciate a pocket. I like to put my wallet inside my bag when I'm at the Farmer's Market so I don't have to haul a purse around. A zippered pocket is a double plus for me.

• Mimou-GW
    8 years ago

Like Oaktown, I live where plastic bags are banned. I have a crazy assortment of bags and totes. Some are store bags, some I bought on Amazon. I like the ezfold bags that I can keep in my purse or pocket. But these are floppy and not the easiest to pack groceries into. I have 2 insulated bags I like too. What I hate is my trunk or back seat filled up with these things.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I donated all of my trader joes bags and bought cheap nylon bags that fold up small. I don't have space to dedicate to storing a bunch of grocery bags. The only thing I dislike about mine is that I can't carry them on my shoulder as the handles aren't long enough. I have a couple of very old mesh beach bag type bags that I can hang over my shoulder and I kept those for when I walk to the market.

(I also live in a jurisdiction where plastic bags have been banned and there is a mandatory charge for paper bags. I used reusable before that though and my habits haven't really changed in that regard.)

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

DD's car was broken into and while she didn't lose anything of value she did complain that they stole her supermarket bags - probably so they'd be able to carry all the stuff they stole from the other cars that they broke into. I gave her some of mine (I probably have at least 15) and thought I'd treat her to a couple of pretty new ones. But I noticed that my 2 favorite supermarkets no longer carry the light fabric shopping bags that I've been using for years. Wegman's now sells only the plastic ones and Shop Rite didn't have any.

While I have bought some from fund raisers I would probably only purchase more expensive ones if they had a graphic printed on them that meant something to me or to someone I gave it to. I have ordered totes online. I bought DD one with a graphic of Edward Gorey's Gashlycrum Tinies. I have also bought some from Barnes and Noble and filled them with books and reading supplies as gifts too.

There are so many sources already selling totes that I wonder how you'll make your product stand out from the competition. Can you market yourself to local groups who are fund raising - and offer a competitive price?

• maddielee
    8 years ago

Be sure you check the competition if you choose to sell on Etsy, seems to be hundreds (maybe thousands) of choices. So many, I didn't scroll through them all.

Good luck.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Fwiw, I would be more likely to buy a tote as a park bag (to carry when I take kids to the park--snacks, water bottles, sunblock, sweater, etc) or the like rather than as a grocery bag. And as such, I'd be interested in a larger, horizontal bag, rather than a smaller vertical bag.

And a snap closure at the top would also be a feature I'd look for. Strap length would be important as I would want to wear the bag over my shoulder. And I'd be more likely to buy a color other than white/off-white because I'd be looking for something that would hide dirt at least somewhat.

• MagdalenaLee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for your insight everyone! I need to go through your suggestions again but now I'm thinking I should offer a few different types of bags. Yes, Etsy has a lot of tote offerings but I haven't seen anything quite like I'm envisioning. Plus, there are a few stores in town and surrounding towns that could possibly carry them. I also know someone who sells produce at the surrounding Farmer's Markets that might be interested. This isn't really a viable business for me - more like a little mad money. But my friend with the screen printing press really wants to get it going and I'm happy to help get it started.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 years ago

Longer handles definitely! I have 1 that I can put an arm through each strap & wear like a backpack - very handy for long walks - again w/ wide straps (like 2"), so they don't cut into my arms if I'm carrying something heavy. They can also be tied to keep things from falling out in the car.

A pocket for small items like phone, car keys & money/cards is a great plus as well - 1 that can be secured closed, even better.

• Oaktown
    8 years ago

I second most of crl_'s suggestions for tote specs, but if you are thinking of having a closure, my vote would be for some kind of lobster claw clasp, as that allows me to overstuff the bag. Good luck!

• lyfia
    8 years ago

So I would be a likely candidate for your bags as I have been looking for some to use and I'm willing to pay a little more if I could get a cute graphic or saying on them too. I've been looking to spend up to $15 as I expect it to be long lasting.

Here's what I've been looking for:

- Washable as in machine and dryer safe and keep their size - material isn't such a big deal, but I'd like them to look nice.

- Be able to stand up to weekly use and if I pay more I'd like at least one year of use out of them, but would really like a couple of years.

- Good handles that aren't too thick. I like to carry multiple bags at the same time when unloading the car.

- Easy to fold and stay folded

- Easy to pack as in staying open and not have the sides cave in when I'm packing groceries into it.

- Can hold something heavy without ripping or weakening any seams

- I'd like a bag that can fit the width of a cereal box and be able to support the weight and space of 2 gallons of milk.

- I'd like it lined or thick enough to absorb some of the sweating that happens in the Texas heat and not soak through and also easily dry so I don't have to have space to hang it up.

- Handles long enough that I could put one over my shoulder, but not so long that if I'm carrying it along with several others by my side it will drag the ground without me having to wrap the handles. This is a tough one.

At this point I'm considering if I should try to sew my own as I haven't found what I'm looking for yet and then I can get the exact handle length that works for me, along with picking some fun fabrics.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

You mentioned one that is 14x15x8. I have one that is wider than it is tall measuring 15.5" wide and 14" tall and 6" deep. I almost thought it was too big but I actually like it. Most of mine are around 12.5 x 12 or 14 high and 8" deep which seems to work ok too but I don't think I would want anything too tall or some baggers would tend to overfill it.

Ditto to handles that are long enough. I personally go for cute, fun prints when given a choice. Definitely want something to hold up the bottom. Most of mine have a piece of plastic or something to keep the bottom flat when open.

• sheesh
    8 years ago

Handles are very important. I've made several totes for myself and always put two sets of handles on them...one set for my shoulders, the other for my hands. And I pad them with a couple layers of flannel, too. The extra set of handles never gets in the way.

• Renovator Girl
    8 years ago

We use totes whenever possible for our groceries. Agree on the reinforced bottom. We also like the ones that fold up small so that we can carry them around in our purses.

• User
    8 years ago

I didn't know there was a retail market for tote bags. I am drowning in them---we get them for free everywhere. Conferences, spas, stores, NPR...I must have fifty of them ready to give away! Of course they are all advertisements but I still would not actually buy one I liked because of this tote bounty in my pantry. Is there is a market for something people get for free?

• sheesh
    8 years ago

While I wouldn't "pay extra" ( or even pay for) a tote, I do think it must be biodegradable, as in no synthetic fabrics, because while theoretically reusing totes means you would be using fewer bags, eventually they go into the landfill. It would seem to undermine the point if reusable totes don't degrade rather quickly.

The chemical compound used to make polyester fabric is identical to the compound used to make plastic water bottles – polyethylene terephthalate. This means that it takes polyester as long to decompose as it takes plastic bottles, which is decades. It also means that polyester is made out of crude oil, which depletes already strained, non-renewable fossil fuel resources. In addition, the manufacture of this fabric is linked to chemical pollution and danger to polyester production workers who are exposed to these pollutants that have been linked to health and reproductive products. All in all, if you can make a more eco-friendly fabric choice it will be beneficial not only to the planet, but to yourself.

• User
    8 years ago

I don't care too much about size as long as it can hold 3 or more things. What I do care about is that it has a flat bottom and a pocket on the outside for my keys and wallet... I prefer a canvas material or denim, something that will last a year or two. Great idea.

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

Since I get so many free totes, it would have to be quite unique for me to pay more than $3. for one. My sister just threw out a stack of about 20. Even gifting totes reminds me of giving fruitcake (apologize to those who like it).

• tinam61
    8 years ago

I wouldn't pay much for a tote either. I like the vinyl type ones that you can wipe clean. Love pretty colors and designs, almost like designer fabric or kind of a vera wang look. I would not buy one with an owl and probably not a canvas one either. Sorry, just being truthful. I agree, I want something in the bottom that allows it to stand. I do wish you luck on your new venture!!

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Your size sounds good. Washable, good. Recycled & recyclable, good. organic, no -- I'm not going to be eating it! A sturdy insert at the bottom essential. The owl is cool -- it would have to have neat decor on it for me to pay much for it. $15-18 about my limit, depending on bells and whistles -- adaptable handles, a pocket....