Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borstbonnie

bianco carrara--too high maintenance?

Bonnie Clowney
8 years ago
I have chosen this countertop for the kitchen. One person steered may away from marble saying it was too high maintenance, especially for kiddos. The person helping today assured me it was not too high maintenance. I don't want to have to look anymore. Uggh.

Comments (26)

• Bonnie Clowney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    this truly gives me something to think about. Do you happen to know a good substitute, that would make the owner (me) not hate so much? This definitely sounds like something I don't want to do.
  • Natalie
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi---

Carrara marble is gorgeous, but not all that practical if you have kids. There are numerous alternatives that are much easier to maintain and beautiful to look at. Click on the link-Options for more information. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

Sorry--I'm unable to post a link. You'll have to copy and paste. Here's the info: www.countertopspecialty.com/which-granite-looks-like-white-carrara-marble.html

• User
    8 years ago

One of the best posts I've seen on the subject, Cancork. Marble is great, away from utility rooms.

• User
    8 years ago

Keep him out of the kitchen!!

cluck on it.

• Bonnie Clowney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    chhokchook2, hilarious!!!
  • PRO
    Palatial Stone & Tile
    8 years ago

We are more partial to natural stone, so how about opting for Bianco Carrara marble with a honed finished. It is impractical to think you will never spill a drop of lemon juice, wine, coffee, etc. on you kitchen countertops dulling a polished marble by etching the stone. The way we suggest combating the etching is to start with a honed finish. That way the etching is far less noticeable.

However if you are till concerned with the maintenance and care, there are several quartz products which resemble Bianco Carrara marble. Here are a few: Cambria Torquay, Silestone Lyra, Caesarstone Misty Carrara, and Hanstone Tranquility.

• beseaside
    8 years ago
    Zodiac has a beautiful new Quartz that is a dead on match for Calcutta gold marble. I was convinced I wanted Carrara honed. Too a sample home. Dripped wine on it. Then I spilled a couple drops of oil on it. Oops. Straight back to my wonderful stone vendor and went with the Quartz. Fabulous!
  • Bonnie Clowney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    thank you, palatial stone! I appreciate your expertise! Gives me a lot to think about, that is for sure.
  • Bonnie Clowney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Beseaside,
    thank you for the comment and advise. do you happen to know the name of the product by zodiac?
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Bonnie, I was just reading another thread on this same issue an snap- shot this for reference! Hope it helps
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    More
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Bonnie, just looked up the Neolith! Wow! Didn't know how much this stuff is but it sure is beautiful!!!!
  • beseaside
    8 years ago
    Bonnie, the Zodiac is Calacutta Nuvo. Brand new. Really beautiful.
  • beseaside
    8 years ago
    Oops, it is Calacutta Natura. Sorry. Brain freeze.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Anyway , here's the thread, tons of info for you on it. Hope it helps.
  • Bonnie Clowney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    lynnartist, thank you! I'm really excited to look into these options. I appreciate you taking the time to reply and advise.
  • Bonnie Clowney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    thank you, Beseaside! super!
  • Bonnie Clowney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    thos is very helpful, lynnartist!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Your welcome! I was just studying it myself when I noticed your dilemma. The Pental Quartz looks very beautiful and may be a better price!
  • Bonnie Clowney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    lynartist, "better price" is always a good thing!
  • PRO
    Palatial Stone & Tile
    8 years ago

I noticed Neolith was mentioned. It's a very durable porcelain material, but its thickness is limited to 1/2". To achieve a more desirable countertop thickness the fabricator must miter its edges. Generally, this means a higher fabrication cost.

• Bonnie Clowney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    thank you, Palatialstone! great information.
  • bethngandre
    8 years ago
    We also love the look of marble, but had the same concerns when we redid our kitchen this past spring. We tried to find a granite that had similar colors to the Carrara, but didn't have any luck. We ended up going with quartzite (color sea pearl) and we are very happy with it. Seems to function similarly to granite but is closer to a marble look.
  • bethngandre
    8 years ago
    Here are some pictures of the sea pearl quartzite.
  • Bonnie Clowney
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    bethandgandre
    I love the look. thank you for these pictures! looks beautiful!