Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babussell

What would you do with this yard?

babussell
8 years ago

We just purchased this brick ranch house not to far west of Dallas, TX. The previous owners took great care of it but it has not been update since it was built in 1985. What would you do to update and brighten the exterior landscaping (to include the exterior of the house itself if you have any ideas)! I am open to any suggestions including removing pand adding plants, extending flower beds, widening walkways and even painting, adding decorative window frames and anything else that might bring this house up to date! We don't live in the house yet so I'm sorry I don't have a better front picture! Any input and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    8 years ago

The picture is too vague. Take a series of slightly overlapping pictures where the camera is in line with the front door and about 1 1/2 car lengths from the house. Begin by aiming the camera to show space at the left of the house and continue rightward until you show space at the right of the house. Also, it would be good to have a view from the street of the overall lot ... again, where the camera is lined up with the front door.

• babussell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for your responses! My husband just retired from the military and we have only live in base housing prior to this! I have never had this much freedom to do what I want with my home so it's exciting but also a little overwhelming and I do t know where to start!

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Couple things just from this picture.

1. Remove some of the turf area by increasing bed sizes.

2. Need some color. Increased bed sizes will offer you the ability to add plant material, perennials will bring nice color to the scene.

3. Can't tell but looks like a sliding door on the front ? If so, exploit that and bring the living space outside with a small seating area surrounded by plants as a short screen or buffer.

4. The formally trimmed evergreens are a bit outdated. I would probably do away with them.

5. Much of this depends on what YOU want to get out of this area.

• Bama_Joe
    8 years ago

Appreciate the response. The provided link is bad FYI. Shoot me an email when you get a chance. Our local Bennett offers free assistance if you provide a layout, but would like to talk. Are you very familiar with habitat yards? You can answer in mail. Will pm my addy. Thanks!

• edlincoln
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The first and most important rule...DON'T TAKE ANYTHING OUT FOR A YEAR. Lots of people buy a house and "mark their territory" by ripping out shrubs...without realizing this one had gorgeous flowers in May and that one was a rare cultivar and the tree you took out kept the sun out of your eyes in August. Wait a year to see what blooms and look at sun angles.

Start by putting in trees. Trees take years to grow. In ten years a 2 year old tree you plant today will be just as big as a ten year old tree you plant in 8 years...but much cheaper, with a bigger root system that makes it more resistant to wind and drought. You will probably tinker with the little things over the years

The rectangular hedges and topiary in the foundation planting are very formal. They look good...but will be a lot of work to maintain. Do you have to decide if you want to put a lot of time into your garden, and find out what your landscaper's rates are. I tent to prefer holly, rhododendron, and flowering bushes that look good in irregular shapes. This is a matter of taste.

I really like the tree and plantings underneath it.

What direction is North? (And be very suspicious of anyone who attempts to give you advice without knowing that fact.) For energy efficiency you want evergreens north of you and deciduous trees to the south.

• PRO
    My Landscape Guide
    8 years ago

Hi babusell,

Add flowering shrubs, perennials, and annuals to the existing beds.

Add Color. Your evergreens are very nice, they just need a little more color and texture in front..

Add colorful shade loving plants in the shady areas. Caladiums and ferns are popular. Hydrangea macrophylla and hostas are common too.

I think you have a great base to start. Good luck!