Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Faith - another florist rose I hope to get rooted...

bethnorcal9
8 years ago

I am so excited with the selection of florist roses that our local Safeway market has been getting in. I'm hoping I finally have the answer (thanks to Carol) to getting them to root. I check every week to see what comes in and OMG they have had some really gorgeous roses lately. Last yr when I was trying (and failing) at rooting them, they had the same old varieties all the time, pretty much. But wow, what they've been getting in now is amazing. I was shocked to be able to get QUICKSAND last week. Yesterday I found FAITH. What a gorgeous one she is! Got her 12 stems attempting to be rooted now. Keeping fingers crossed....

FAITH - beautiful lavender center with dusty rose outer petals and green guard petals. Yum!

Comments (15)

• User
    8 years ago

Wow! Please keep us posted on the cuttings.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago

Beautiful and my favorite color.

• Embothrium
    8 years ago

How are you getting the names for these?

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Whatever company they order the roses from has the name of the roses labeled on the cellophane wrapper. That's what makes it really cool. You can look for a specific variety, and one day they might get it in. Our Safeway gets orders in Mon-Wed-Fri. And they get a lot of them in. Usually have about 2-3dozen bundles of a dozen roses and maybe a dozen bundles of 18. They sell them for $9.99/dozen and $12.99/18. They even started getting in bundles of 3 colors/dozen and those even had the variety names labeled as well. They obviously must sell a lot or they wouldn't order so many per week.

What started me attempting to root them was a few yrs ago I bought some roses for Thanksgiving to take to my mom's. The rose I got was a gorgeous rusty-brown blend called CHILIS. Of course I didn't get any to root. But I keep trying to root others. And I haven't seen them get any more of that rose in, but I keep hoping they will. Especially since I might've finally found a way to root them now!

• aprilscott12
    8 years ago

Wow!! She truly is beautiful! You're blessed to just find such beauties to just have for arrangements but hoping they all root for you so you can have lots to enjoy in years to come!

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I know! Isn't it crazy? Sharlene I wish I could send you a Safeway market! If this rooting method works this time, I'll be trying a different rose every week! (hmmmm... I think I already am!) heehee Actually, if it doesn't work, I'm going to eventually try budding. I just acquired a bunch of rootstocks to grow and start using hopefully next spring. But I seriously think the rooting might be working... Will know for sure in a few weeks.

• s
    8 years ago

CRAZY - I think that is the right word! Great that you found some rootstock. That will work for sure but keep us posted on this bunch. Holding thumbs for you

Sharlene

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks!

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Beth, are your florists roses imported or do local growers have the facilities for all year growing? Our Dept of Agriculture is very strict and cut roses coming to Australia have to be fumigated and treated with a growth inhibitor so that people can't propagate from them. Melodye

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    8 years ago

Send me a Safeway too Beth! I looked them up after you posted Quicksand but none near us. I don't blame you I'd be trying them all the time too. I'm trying Carols method too but not sure if it'll work in my cold carport like it does in her basement. These roses are beautiful too. Best of luck!! Judy

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Melodye, I have no idea where they get their roses from. I would assume they're grown in South America, but I'm not sure. Guess I cold ask them!

Judy do you have any other grocery store chains that have a florist dept? Maybe other stores might get in marked roses too. Depends on their supplier. I do know that another store we have here, Save Mart, gets in bundles of roses, unmarked, and they're $12.99 a dozen. I just love that Safeway orders from a supplier that labels them.

• s
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I looked up Faith on the De Ruiter Page this morning - they grow them in Africa which probably means Kenya - most of the big growers have rose farms there including Kordes and Tantau. http://www.deruiter.com/product/de-66-faith

It really is a lovely rose!

Sharlene

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Beth our groc stores just have the run of the mill red, white or yellow usually. I bet Whole Foods or Trader Joes might have some nicer varieties but they're usually over an hour away but I will def look next time I'm by one. One Whole Foods I visit will even give you a jug with water to put them in when you find pretty ones but I've usually bought garden rose stems that way but good gravy they were pretty. Judy

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

I'm hoping you two get nice rooted cuttings!! I've got a bud on one of my 4" cuttings. That Faith looks stunning!!! I really hope you get it to root!!

Carol

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022