Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atdemo63

Particle Board Cabinet Facing

atdemo63
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are building a new home (builder contract is $325,000 w/o land). The kitchen cabinets look beautiful but our builder only faced the back with particle board. Is this typical? The particle board with seam showing faces our great room so it is really visible. The granite has not yet been installed. I'm meeting with a kitchen designer not associated with our builder today so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments (7)

• annmarie2
    8 years ago

I can't tell the size, but it can be tough to get single panels that big. A suggestion: use moulding or flat stock (pieces with square edges) to create the effect of wainscoting. It's a cost efficient way to look more custom, and cover the seams. Just need to do the math so that the seam is covered and other vertical pieces have

similar spacing. This is what I mean:

Shirley Corwin · More Info

atdemo63 thanked annmarie2
  • kmalcolkp
    8 years ago

I've never worked with a builder before (DIYers), but I wouldn't be okay with that work from my husband or myself - much less a contractor. And that seam! If this is finished (outside of the counter) then I say that there is a serious issue. To me the back should be as polished as the front if its not against a wall. The only way this makes sense to me is if there is a facing going up over the particleboard.

atdemo63 thanked kmalcolkp
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What's the plan for supporting the overhang on the stone? Corbels? Steel? Hope and a prayer? As for the back panel, it's builder standard. If you want to upgrade, it will be extra.

atdemo63 thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

All of the design selections are in your contract, and you should also have the kitchen elevations available as well. I'm sure something more decorative can be done, but you won't see a lot of it underneath an overhang and covered with stools. Which is why that is one place that can be easily economize on rather than spend $1200 on a wainscoting panel that just gets kicked and scuffed.

I'm still more concerned with the plan for stone support.

atdemo63 thanked User
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

Usually when I design a kitchen where there are cabinet backs facing out I use cabinet doors to finish or as mentioned some molding but never would I leave the white particle board facing out this is just not acceptable and I would really demand this is finished properly. I agree about the support for granite if having an overhang for stools there are great metal supports that do not show at all when used and I would pay the extra for them, as you see in the picture this is how the backside of exposed cabinets should look including a kick not dropped to the floor

• atdemo63
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Patricia, thank you so very much. This gives us a great idea I can bring to the designer.