Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
navymomma77

banquette seating entry room on an enclosed end?

Navy Momma
8 years ago

So I am having a built-in L shaped banquette in my EIK/Dining room (only eating space in the kitchen). I am trying to maximize the table space I will have as it's my only dining space. One end is open and the other (tall end of the L) is closed in by a pantry cabinet.

The banquette will have a flip top on a piano hinge to maximize storage, no drawers, but there will be drawer fronts along the front matching the cabinets (and on the side view, though it's not pictured in the layout below).

Here's the layout facing the long side, view from the kitchen:

How much "entry room" do you think I need to account for on the pantry side? 12" ? 16"?

I'm trying to determine the max table length I can comfortably get away with, and I am having a table custom made in this style:

Also I want to tell the carpenter how much distance I need at the head/foot of the table to allow for room to sit at the bench there and have 3-4" of overhang as well as enough leg room when seated.

I am thinking of a 66" length- that leaves about 16" of bench exposed on the pantry end. Does that sound adequate? I'll also have 3 chairs at the exposed side/end of the table so if there is someone very large or physically limited there are alternative options. And I have 3 kids, so they are going to be the main bench seaters.

Comments (10)

• Navy Momma
    Original Author
    8 years ago

bumping this up. I did a measurement seated at my own (currently round) kitchen table. I preferred just over a 5" overhang. Then I measured from the table edge to where the tips of my feet were and it was about 16". Still not sure how much room would be needed for entry on the enclosed side. Would 16" of open bench room be enough you think? If I do a 4.5" overhang, I think I'm still set at a 66" table length. for width I think I'm going to do 42" because of the overhang onto the other side of the bench. There are about 39" of exposed bench from where the 2 benches meet to the end of the bench. Add in the overhang of 4 ish inches and the 42 should fit just fine.

• Navy Momma
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rebunky here is the plan:

I kept the kitchen in the kitchen because it didn't gain much space to move it and the eating area after swapping would be very tight.

cabinets were delivered today (mostly in boxes, not installed). I'm so excited! I've been kitchen-less for a month now and it so tired of crappy food!

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Oh I am so happy to see this plan. I remember your other two design threads, and I think after we all tried and tried to flip the dining and kitchen, it was just not going to work in the space. Very smart decision!

I love your finishes that you have chosen. I saw them on your other thread. Gorgeous! Congrats, it won't be long now.

Hey, you should do a play by play thread showing how things progress. Those are so fun to watch.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I remember your design discussion, too, and I think that small kitchen nook is going to be charming and very easy to work in. I think you made the right choice.

Have you tried to mock up space with a square corner table instead of your round one to see how it works? Maybe cut a board for the size of squared off table you're planning on buying and lay it on top of the table, weigh it down, and then sit down on the banquette?

Yes to doing progress threads. And to seeing a reveal when done. I'm excited for you!

• Navy Momma
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm pretty set on a rectangular table. I have much more length than width so a round would have to be much smaller to fit well in the space. Also we are a family of 5 so that's our required minimum seating.

i can't do a mock-up with the current round anyhow because it's not a pedestal- has the 4 corner legs in the way. and I have no banquette yet! It's not been built :).

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I think you're misunderstanding me. Maybe I wasn't clear. You can still simulate something close.

Take a tall chest of drawers and place it somewhere to simulate the pantry. Put a couple of chairs or bench next to it to simulate the banquette seating. Then put a square/rectangle table in front and place it the distance you are considering and try to sit and see how it feels. If you don't have a square or rectangular table, please a board or sturdy cardboard over the round table.

No, it won't be a perfect simulation but it should give you a good feeling for your clearance requirements to obtain a level of comfort and safety you're comfortable with.

People often use cardboard boxes and/or furniture to simulate islands, peninsulas, etc., here to see if it works for them before committing. In a recent thread, someone showed pictures of an Island that they created out of sturdy cardboard and called it her McGyver Island because they actually used it for a year before the permanent island was installed.

Navy Momma thanked funkycamper
  • Navy Momma
    Original Author
    8 years ago

gotcha. I did misunderstand!

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I lost some of my original comment somehow, so ETA this first paragraph:

I think it's okay for kids, but tight for adults. We have casters on our table that make it easier to clean and when we had a banquette at our last house it was really handy to be able to roll the table around to get people in/out of the corner. It looks like you're planning a pretty heft table, so maybe casters is something for you to consider as well.

Is your layout set in stone? I wasn't a part of your previous thread, so I don't know any of the backstory. A pet peeve of mine is when the fridge and dishwasher conflict; in my house everyone wants a drink or snack while I'm putting stuff in the dishwasher.

This is how my 7'5"x12'6" kitchen is laid out. Priorities were keeping the fridge out of my work space and no corner cabinets. I debated the dw location, but ultimately, the oven and dw are never open at the same time, so tucked it at the end. Anyway. Just food for thought. You might be able to have a bigger sink if you went this direction...

Navy Momma thanked sheloveslayouts
  • Navy Momma
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Benjesbride, thanks for your insight! I can't change the layout now- cabinets are sitting in my space waiting for installation. However, I did consider the dishwasher/fridge issue and determined that it wasn't a problem for me. I only have my DW open for short periods of time each day. In reference to your layout, it was more important to me that the fridge was not a large focal point when entering the space, which it would be in that position.

I appreciate your comments regarding the table. I hadn't thought about casters, though we have them on our coffee table and find the, very handy. Thanks for that!