Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemwin

Exterior Soffit and Fascia Colors

lemwin
8 years ago

Although the shadow in this picture makes it look black, what we've actually done is left the fascia board and the wide soffit here green - to match the trim of the house. Traditionally these would be tan like the trim. You can see where we will be building a screened porch with deck above on the two story side - and a lower deck on the other side. The house isn't traditional, it's really sort of a blend of modern urban with farmhouse. Light fixtures will be bulkhead style in steel color with cages. So should we paint the fascia and soffits tan?

Comments (4)

• lemwin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry - forgot to include picture on the original post. Here it is. Ready go...discuss

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    8 years ago

My suggestion is to tone down all of the window trim, perhaps to match the fascia color. Another option would be to use complementary colors for the window trim at least, i.e., a deep red. The strong contrast between light windows and trim, and the much darker valued siding is so strong and busy, in large part because you have so many windows of so many proportions, that the elevation is very fragmented and busy.

IMO, you goal should be to unify and create greater visual harmony and less contrast.

Good luck with your project.

• lemwin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you very much for your reply. I just realized my first post was confusing. Everything is green except the trim right now - which is tan. And the windows are vinyl and white(this was a mistake-we intended to do off white windows, but that can't be undone at this point) I understand what you are saying about a unified look as opposed to so much contrast - but I do wonder if some of this will be solved when we add the screened porch and the upper deck on that two story side. It won't look like so many proportions then. Mainly right now just trying to decide if the fascia board and soffit should be painted tan to match the trim. So if I understand - you are suggesting painting the trim to match the fascia - but that would match the siding(it's all a dark green) - so then the bright white windows will stand out??

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Rustic Exterior · More Info

Yes, adding the lower deck and upper screened porch will help to unify the exterior by screening many of the windows with their trim. But then you will have to decide how to finish the deck and the exterior of the screened porch, as well as what to do with the window trim. So, in a real sense, you adding to the number of exterior components which need to be harmonized. IMO, you need to greatly reduce the visual contrast between light (windows and trim, plus the corner and upper wall trim) and dark (the wall siding). You can experiment using a few small sample cans of various colors, but the goal would be to reduce the light vs. dark, to something more like medium vs. dark. Complementary colors are always harmonious, which is why I suggested a medium-dark red for the window trim. I'd also make the corner and upper wall trim match the fascia, which is harmonious with the wall color. Take your time and try a number of ideas out in small areas, both in the sunlit areas of the house as well as the shaded areas.

Here's a photo of a house with natural wood siding, plus red and green materials. It's not the same as your house, but it does help to give an idea of how these colors can work together.

Good luck with your project.

lemwin thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art