Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meganmcdougal

Double convection ovens or single and a steamer oven?

Megan Binsfeld
8 years ago

We are building a new house, and I was considering the 30" Wolf convection/steam oven stacked with a regular 30" convection oven and warming drawer. However, I realized how small the interior of the steam oven is. My concern is hosting our large family for big meals like thanksgiving and having the ability to cook everything with the one regular sized oven and the small steam oven. How would I have a large turkey cooking and then multiple side dishes? My only solution is to have a double oven and replace the microwave drawer with the steam oven but then that gets expensive and wasteful, since I can see us only using the steam oven on a daily basis.

What do you think? Can a large family dinner, say thanksgiving, survive with only the steam oven and 30" convection oven? Is the steam oven really worth it or will my six burner stove suffice for steaming?

Comments (10)

• johnsoro25
    8 years ago

I'm one of the people who love it. Just had my first Thanksgiving with the new Thermador range, which has a 30" convection, steam oven, and warming drawer. It was a joy to cook this year, everything was hot and ready to go when we sat down. I used the steam as convection initially, then steaming the curry sweet potatoes right before we ate. I like having the steam option, as I don't frequently need 2 full size ovens going at the same time. Also really like the size of the steam as a convection- don't need to wait to preheat the huge oven for 2 chicken patties for my son's lunch.

Megan Binsfeld thanked johnsoro25
  • mrspete
    8 years ago

How much oven do you need on a regular basis? Buy that. I wouldn't build based upon occasional meals like Thanksgiving. On the rare occasions when you do need more cooking ability, you can add oven space in numerous ways:

- An outdoor grill

- A countertop oven

- Crock pots

- Cooking some items the day before

- Purchasing some items pre-made

- Making the event a pot luck

• romy718
    8 years ago

30" Convection oven, 30" steam oven, a microwave drawer & a warming drawer? I think you could definitely pull off large family holiday meals with that combination. I have the 24" Wolf Steam oven & use it daily.

• User
    8 years ago

I was (this past weekend) planning on purchasing an oven and warming drawer (both Miele) my longtime appliance salesperson told me I should forget the warming drawer and purchase a steam/convection oven instead. He said warming drawers end up most used as towel warmers. I'm now trying to decide between the Miele and Wolf steam/convection oven. If I had the space and electrical requirements I would probably consider oven, steam/convection oven and warming drawer and enjoy having nice warm towels as a bonus.

• Buehl
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

"...He said warming drawers end up most used as towel warmers..."

That happens when the location of the warming drawer is poorly thought out.

One of the worst places - in an oven stack. It's too low and it's usually not next to the cooktop/range.

A few years ago, there were several threads here and, I think, on the Appliances Forum asking who did/did not use their warming drawer.

Overwhelmingly,

• Those who used their warming drawer had placed it next to their cooktop (or range) and installed it no lower than a middle drawer in a drawer stack.
    • Those who did not use their warming drawer had installed it relatively far from their cooktop/range or had installed it too low (like the bottom of an oven stack).
  • Buehl
    8 years ago

We use our warming drawer frequently - it's a relief not having to time everything exactly!

To MeganMcDougal: If you have a warming drawer, then it will help you with the issue of not having enough oven space. Just put some things in the warming drawer while you roast/bake others.

BTW...convection ovens are wonderful! You might also consider a convection speed oven - food cooks faster. I have double ovens with the top one a convection/speed cook (GE's Trivection) and just convection on the bottom. In our house, both get used frequently, in part b/c of dietary restrictions (celiac) that sometimes results in two different meals. It's nice to be able to cook two different meals at one time - plus the top oven is restricted to gluten-free for any item that's placed directly on the racks.

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hmmm. I watched several YouTube videos on this oven since it's about half the price of my Gagg steam oven. I can tell you that I have had my oven ten yrs and I use it almost every day. It is the most used appliance in my kitchen. I also have a 48" Wolf range and could easily use/get by with one oven and the Gagg.

i looked at the specs on the Wolf and then measured the oven cavity of my Gagg. Your oven cavity is definitely significantly larger than my Gagg. So, even though mine has a drain and plumbing...the extra size and better price might make me consider the Wolf oven...in a side by side comparison.

I think even at holiday time you could easily accomplish everything with these two ovens, especially with a warming drawer.

ps...Love, love, love my combi

• 578211tm
    8 years ago

We recently installed the wolf steam and also have the 36" range. Seriously use the steam oven every day- not necessarily for the steam function, but it heats up so quickly and it has become our go to oven for sure. We are exploring recipes and different functions but love it. I was fine on thanksgiving with these 2 ovens.

• Debbie B.
    8 years ago

Megan, you realize if you get this stuff, you'll be obligated to cook/host every big family meal + Thanksgiving for the rest of your life, right? ;-) Just kidding! I cook with a little Oster steamer almost every single day. I'm vegetarian, so I can steam veggies and rice, and if my daughter is here I can throw in a salmon steak for her. I can't even imagine the luxury of a steam oven! My house and my needs are much less than yours, but if I go with a regular sized range, I'm looking at one with an induction cook top and a combo regular/convection oven. I also want to get an oven hood that is a combo microwave/2nd convection oven. It's by far the most I'll ever need. But in your case, you mentioned your family is very large, and it sounds like there are a lot more get-togethers than just Thanksgiving? Based on what our fellow commenters said, I'd vote for option 1 because it sounds like those who have experience are saying it would be sufficient even for your big Thanksgiving. I also love Mrs. Pete because she always has very practical suggestions. Do you have teenagers or kids who will become teenagers? Then I'd recommend option 1 even more strongly because if warming drawers had existed when my kids were teenagers I/they would have used it every day! It seems like maybe you're having some anxiety around this because it's an expensive purchase and you don't want to get the wrong thing. You know your household and your immediate and extended family, and you know how often you'll be called upon to use all of those things at once. Just listen to your gut. You'll make the right decision, I'm sure! :-)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH