Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catfishhoward

Blackberry - Prime Ark Freedom already budding

catfishhoward
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We had a week of 74 degree days in December and sure enough my PAF have budded again, should I pull the buds off, were sure to see freezing temps again before spring? This happened last year in March, 1 sunny week they all budded and the next week it went down in the 30's and I didn't get 1 blackberry, the berries turned brown.

None of my other thornless blackberry verities budded last week. (Apache, Navaho, Chester, Natchez and Ouachita). I live in Atlanta, Ga.

Comments (7)

• jtburton
    8 years ago

I'm not sure there is any benefit to pulling the buds off now. They will probably freeze anyway. Were any of the buds left over from the Fall? I had some Prime Ark buds from the Fall that escaped the first few freezes and started blooming again in early December.

• catfishhoward
    Original Author
    8 years ago

(Were any of the buds left over from the Fall?) Not really sure, possible.

• bkgennings
    8 years ago

I have the same problem. Luckily it wasn't that many so hoping rest of the plant will bloom later unless Mother Nature throws another curve. It's been 25 at night several times now and blooms are brown or still closed.

• catfishhoward
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Update: I left the buds on, they died since winter was so close, but I have tons of new buds this year so far and the new growth has already hit 6' tall.

• bkgennings
    8 years ago

I let mine get that high last year and they bloomed on the very top so high I needed a ladder. Some leaned way over from the weight. I am trying the recommended tipping of the plants at different heights this year. I got this off Nourse Farms Website.

Nourse Farms:

Fall-bearing or primocane blackberries respond favorably to tipping! As the primocanes reach 12-15" in height, break or cut 3/4-1" off the tip of each cane to force the plant into branching. The second tipping should be performed as the branches reach 30", again breaking or cutting 3/4-1" off all the tips. The tips are tender and may be pinched between your thumbnail and a finger or use pruning shears. This process stimulates earlier fruit development, keeps plant height in check for easier management and fruit harvest and also increase yield.

• catfishhoward
    Original Author
    8 years ago

bkgennings: Please let me know how that pruning turns out, I seen the same advise and It didn't make since to prune it a 15" high but I couldn't find anyone who had done it before. I agree with you mine that I tipped at 5' were top heavy and I had to reinforce the plants some, I'm actually going to tip mine at 4' this year I just let them get 6' to get a larger stock before pinching them.

• si_22
    7 years ago

Hi everyone, I have been trying to work out a way to buy a few of the prime ark varieties but none of the outlets I have contacted are willing to ship internationally. There are no primocane blackberries available here unfortunately. I am wondering if anyone would be up for saving and sending some seed from their plants ? I imagine they wont come true but fingers crossed I will be able to get at least one seedling with the primocane gene / phenotype expression. Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you would like to help please send me an e-mail at way.of.tea.nz@gmail.com

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths