Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hokane2

Wanting a corner sink, but no IKEA option, help please

Heather
8 years ago

Hello! I'm in the planning stages for our kitchen remodel. I'm mulling over a well placed corner sink on a peninsula but would like to use IKEA cabinets. They don't currently have a corner sink base option online. We are planning a trip to IKEA next weekend and I'll ask about it then. In the meantime, Google hasn't been helpful.

Does anyone have advice on making it work? Could I use a stock cabinet from Home Depot mixed with IKEA cabinet? Is there a way to hack IKEA cabinets? Thank you!

Comments (59)

• Heather
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Benjesbride, my husband has suggested switching the kitchen and dining spaces. I haven't totally ruled it out, but would prefer the kitchen stay in the middle of the house (bedrooms are upstairs on the right of the layout above) so I can hear the kids (ages 3&6). It certainly would give us more wall space to use for cabinets. The dining space opens to the living room, and I'm not sure about having a view of the kitchen from that area. I'd like to see if I can get this to work first.

No exterior doors in this area.

• Heather
    Original Author
    8 years ago

After some more googling, I found this blogger who built a recessed corner cabinet using a door front and plywood. It seems pretty straight forward: http://diydiva.net/2011/06/assembling-a-corner-sink-base-cabinet/

I finally heard back from the second kitchen designer and hopefully we can meet this week to see his designs.

• PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    8 years ago

Do you specifically want a double sink? Mila makes a corner sink that is one basin - very good for the corner units. http://focalpointhardware.com/mila-muc501-flatiron-undermount-p-21913.html 

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Hilary, just to point out that there is no such thing as a face frame for ikea cabinets, which are frameless. It's entirely possible to do what you're thinking, but try googling 'create corner sink base ikea" or something like that. There were instructions on not using a cabinet at all and how to attach the doors and what kind of fillers to use on the old ikeafans website, but that info is gone now. You might ask over at ikeahackers.

• jakuval
    8 years ago

Use a standard 30-36" sink cabinet. Set at 45 degree angle. Get four 6in fillers.

Set cabinet so each corner is 4.5" closer to the wall, filler on each side, cut to fit with a mitered edge where it meets the cabinet run.

Use the other fillers to close up the opening to suit door size(s)

This creates a "recessed corner sink base" that takes a standard sink. Add cleats at wall to support counter.

No computer with me so can't draw now.

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

We used the Ikea corner sink in our basement kitchen. Yes, you have to turn the water off to switch sides, or go very fast! But I had this sink for 20 years in my prior house and loved it, so it didn't bother me to get it again.

We also have a corner sink in our upstairs kitchen, but it is not the butterfly sink. I do like it better, but as you have found, Ikea doesn't make a cabinet for that type of sink. You could try jakuval's instructions above, but I don't know how that works since the Ikea cabinets are hung from a rail on the wall, and if you place a cabinet at an angle, there is no rail to hang on (of course, there's no rail on the pennisula cabinets either, so maybe it works just fine).

• PRO
  • Heather
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all! I actually want a single basin sink or one with a smaller side with a disposal.

I met with a kitchen planner today. He seems pretty worried about not having upper cabinets and also tried to squeeze a lazy Susan in every plan. I could take it or leave it his plans.

Meh, I'm disappointed, and so will keep mulling this over.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Our tiny kitchen using the Ikea corner sink hack came out beautiful with our 24 inch wide appliances. (Dishwasher is 18 inch) We paid the Ikea installers 400$ extra and it's worth every penny. They cut an extra piece off, no big deal and they knew exactly what I wanted and how to do it. Here is a pic during the process. Ultimately, I got the pantry to the left, but didn't frame it in as I wanted to give that choice to the next owner. My sink is deep, I can set my stock pot in and with it being an undermount, I easily wipe crumbs off the counter. My drawers light up too!

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    7 years ago

Corner sinks and frameless cabinets is a difficult combination. I'm sure this is why IKEA doesn't do them. That, along with undermount sinks, it's difficult. It looks like in the photo above that the installers built a FRAMED box on site for the corner sink and then added an Ikea door? The rest is standard frameless IKEA. This would be doable...but you need to make sure you make the sink base big enough to do an undermount sink of your choice.

• new-beginning
    7 years ago

would the lazy susan base cabinet work?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Very nice kitchen, Janie.

using the Ikea corner sink hack

Which one did they use? Was it the one where you modify this cabinet?

7 years ago

New Beginning, I think your lazy susan would work, but I chose not to have one. SO much space under my tiny corner Ikea Hack sink... and yes to Writers Block, that is what it looked like. We ordered an extra shelf that the installers cut down to size, and then bolted to the base cabinet, thus the triangle picture. Next, they had to shave down 3/4 of an inch of the interior cabinet in order to accommodate the hinges/door to work properly. Also included a strong bar for the front of the cabinet where the sink would sit, I included that pic as well.

Since my kitchen is tiny, I didn't mind having a small sink if it was deep. Found my sink for 30$ brand new off of CL, it's 21 inches wide and about 10 inches deep, it's stunning. This is in a 519 sq foot New York apartment, having the sink in the corner was paramount. Sektion cabinets with Bodbyn doors. Sorry, I took the pic's during use, not staged for a thread like this . Just love it!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Thanks so much for the details, Janie.

• Aleksey Tsymbalov
    6 years ago

Thanks Janie - your comment is the best hack description online to date! =) Could you give a little more detail on what was done. How wide is that door? Was the door trimmed at all? You mentioned that they had to shave off 3/4" off the cabinet - could you specify what side exactly was trimmed off and where? Btw, your kitchen looks great! =)

6 years ago

When they lop-off about
    3/4" of the wood from the left & right sides of the "L", the
    side panels re-attach, and then that makes the door opening slightly smaller,
    which then fits the 18" wide door perfectly.

The reason the sides need
    to be cut is because otherwise the door isn't quite big enough, and the next
    size up door from an 18" is like 21" which then is too big.

I don't believe the door was shaved.

Can't wait to see your project, post some pics!

• richardleepark
    6 years ago

Janie -- would love more details/photos about your ikea corner sink hack... thanks!

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Sure, let me know, I'll do my best!

• richardleepark
    6 years ago

Janie,

1. Would you mind sharing the dimensions of your sink? You say it's 21" and 10" deep. I'm assuming that means 21" side to side and 10" top to bottom. What is the measurement from front to back? Can you give the LxWxH of your sink? Do you think a larger sink might fit?

2. You used the base corner cabinet frame with a triangle added to the bottom floor of the cabinet. What about the top of the cabinet? Besides the bar at the front, what is supporting the sink at the top? In other words, how was the upper frame of the cabinet modified to support the sink and counter?

3. You shaved 3/4" off the sides of the cabinet in order to allow the 18" door to fit. I'm having a tough time visualizing where the material is trimmed. Can you perhaps indicate where the 3/4" came off? Also, what kind of hinges were used? Did you use the original holes on the cabinet for the hinges or did you have to drill new holes because the cabinet was trimmed?

Thanks so much for the information. I actually showed your photos to the IKEA designer yesterday -- she had never seen that before and bookmarked the link so she could share it as an "unofficial" solution for customers who might have a similar issue.

6 years ago

Hi Richard, let me check with the hubs to see if he has the specific schematic that the installers did. I will get back to you asap. I can't stress enough how fantastic our installer was, I did sneak in a few pics while they were working and it was worth every penny. We're in a 117 yr old row-house condo conversion in the NYC metro area, every single inch matters. They did need my sink during the process (I bought before hand) to accurately measure. They were a 3rd party, not Ikea employees.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

FYI...this thread has been added to the IKEA Hacks thread (linked to from the "Read Me" thread)

• richardleepark
    6 years ago

Janie, thanks for the photos. Helpful. Looks like your sink is supported by that piece running along the front of it and then several clips to the underside of the counter. Still trying to figure out how/where to shave the 3/4" off the sides of the sink but I think that will become more apparent when the cabinets come in and the installation happens. Thanks for sharing!

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

More highjacking this thread, but can you tell me what appliances you have and how you like them so far?

6 years ago

Hi Nosoccermom, we swapped out the stove ultimately for the 24 inch Verona at hubs insistence, we love it as far as 24 inch gas ranges go. My only beef with it is the fan is loud and does somewhat blow hot air around. It also scratches easily so we need to be careful.

However, we love having a 12BTU burner with the wok ring, baking with the convection is fantastic and what I love most are the incredibly strong and substantial grates! I like to make my popcorn old school, pan with little oil and on the burner. My acid test for any stove/oven is to shake the grates and see how much noise/pull there is. I don't want any! I also knew I wanted an oven door with a window. The bottom drawer is for storage, it's not a broiler. It was steep at around 2G, but when you walk in and see it, it's like a piece of art, people honestly gasp. It gets used multiple times a day. I would buy it again, not sure if it makes sense for everyone though.

The 24 inch Fridge is a Summit Model No. FFBF191SS, we got it without the icemaker due to the extra cost, plumbing, noise, etc. My only beef with it is the ice cube holder (or lack thereof) Otherwise it is a dream and I would absolutely buy it again, it was about 1,100$ or so. It beeps if you leave the door open, we got a nice energy rebate, it's incredibly quiet, and it has all sorts of settings (holiday function, super freeze, super cool, etc.) that the hubs likes.

6 years ago

Hi Richardleepark,

My hubs says when we bought the corner cabinet, we "had" to buy the incorrect hinges that go along with it for that accordion door, but also ordered the "correct" hinges for our hack. We then later took the "accordion" hinges back for a refund, hope that makes sense.

He is not sure, but thinks the hack required the 125 hinge. No extra drilling was required in installing the door. I took more pics and of the strong bar.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Hi, Janie. A couple more appliance questions, if you don't mind. How is the freezer space on that fridge? And I've heard a few people complain that it's hard to see in the fridge compartment when you've got a lot of stuff in it because of the way the lighting is configured. Have you noticed that?

Also, what's the DW, please?

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

I've spent the last two hours reading up on smaller appliances, so really appreciate your feedback. I'm going for a smaller fridge and DW, just not sure about a smaller range (current 30" is against a side wall, so not sure about the wisdom of putting a 24" against the wall or adding a 6" sliver countertop.

6 years ago

Hi Writersblock, sorry, I just saw your post! No, I have no problem with the lighting personally and the unit is about 26 inches deep. The freezer has 3 nice drawers. It's only the 2 of us so we have more than enough room in the fridge, not sure if it would make sense for a huge family. Everyone loves the slick European look of it.

On a side note, the cabinet above the fridge is the "Electronic/Home Run Cabinet". I was envious of everyone in large homes who had the room to put all that crap in a closet behind a closed door. Plus, I honestly either forget/don't want to be bothered with what's in the historic "cabinet above the fridge" ;) I can't stress enough how much I love this!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Thanks very much, Janie. Sorry for the delay in responding, but notifications have been weird lately and this just appeared in my list this morning.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Wow, Janie, what a lot of work he put into that! Thanks so much to both of you. I hope you also post that over at ikeahacker.

BTW, anyone else who downloads it, note the last page. It's well worth anteing up some beer money for those beautifully detailed and illustrated directions.

Buehl, this should get put into your resources somewhere.

6 years ago

Writersblock, thank you! I didn't realize we couldn't upload PDF files to Houzz, I tried with just the pictures but the resolution/detail didn't come through. We then simply added a link via our business website.

Yes, hubs will happily accept a "beer donation", lol!

No, I haven't posted the link anywhere else but here. Thank you again for the nice compliment, (I admittedly may have nagged him a bit)!

• richardleepark
    6 years ago

Janie, thank you. I will donate some beer money to your husband!

6 years ago

Richardleepark, he got it, thank you!!! Can't wait to see the pics of your new kitchen too! FYI, hubs did update as one of the links to Ikea wasn't working, if you already downloaded the PDF file, do it again for newer version.

• xo10
    6 years ago

Hi Janie, I finally got my Summit FFBF191SS Refrigerator (no icemaker) today, and was googling about proper spacing around the fridge (from the walls, etc) for this fridge. i am glad that I found your post. How is the placement of this fridge in your kitchen setting working out? My kitchen (LA small kitchen) is similar to your kitchen. You don't feel that the fridge needs more space away from the wall, etc? (I also made a small cubby hole cabinet above the fridge ;D) Thank you.

6 years ago

Hi xo10, we love ours and it fits perfectly in our tiny kitchen, post a pic of yours! I lived in DTLA and WEHO back in the day too!

• xo10
    6 years ago

Thank you for your response. Glad to hear that you're happy with your 191SS. My 191SS is now going back as there was a sharp dent on one side. In the meantime, I have found out that 181ES may be a better choice for me as my cabinet has a small pocket just for thsi 24" fridge, and 181ES (looks the same, but it is a bit smaller) seems to require smaller vent spaces. I am also researching if the built-in version (the built-in version can be stand-alone) is better for me. I will post my photo when I get my fridge and install it (just sliding it into the cabinet, not "built-in installation."

• Phil
    6 years ago

Janie, thanks for posting your solution to the sink-in-the-corner Ikea hack. And thanks also to your husband fo the detailed hack instructions! If you don't mind I just had a few questions, as we're about to do the corner sink with the dishwasher immediately to the right, just as you did.

1. First, when someone is standing at the sink, does that person have enough space to open the dishwasher to load items from the sink?

2. Second, you mentioned that your sink is 21" wide and 10" deep. What is the measurement from front to back?

3. Lastly, does the angle of the sink-hacked cabinet door match the angle of the glass wall cabinet door above it?

6 years ago

Hi Phil, this is Janie's husband, Eric. I am a tall guy (6' 2") and admittedly the space is a bit tight to stand in front of the sink and load the dishwasher, but it is absolutely doable, and I do it regularly without feeling like I'm playing twister, and I've never kicked into the dishwasher door. (see picture below with Janie) The measurement of the sink (front to back) is exactly 18". The angle of the sink matches the angle of the upper glass cabinet door. Both are exactly 45-degree angles. The width of the lower "hack" cabinet door is 18", and the width of the upper glass cabinet door is 15". Hope this helps, and good luck!

• Phil
    6 years ago

Thanks once again for a detailed description. The photo also helps a lot!

• lilsadcrazyboy
    5 years ago

@Janie Gibbs, got a number for the contractor you used? Interested and in the NYC area would like a quote from the guy

5 years ago

718-222-1830

• lilsadcrazyboy
    5 years ago

@Janie Gibbs, Thanks for the number, one more question. :) what is the measurement from the left wall of the kitchen sink to the side wall of the fridge? I love your setup trying to emulate it cause I live in a cave.

5 years ago

Hi lil,

I'm so sorry for the delayed response, we've been on holiday for the past several weeks with horrible internet.

Once we're back in the states I will remeasure and post.

• lilsadcrazyboy
    5 years ago

Hello @Janie Gibbs, Thanks No rush... I've been obsessively looking at your kitchen. It really does make so much use out of every inch. I am planning my kitchen right now and I have a few questions hoping you can help.

1-From the left wall of sink to the wall of the fridge what are the measurements?

2-Do you have the actual measurements of the finished corner sink hack? Trying to map out my renovation and want to plan accordingly

3-What is the model of dishwasher? Do you recommend?

4-Do you think that's the biggest sink you can fit in the corner space or can it go a bit bigger?

5-Do you think a slide in range would make sense? Is there any issues with your range being so close to sink?

6-Thank you so much your kitchen really inspires me

• sanjayradia
    4 years ago

Did anyone figure out where the 3/4 inch was cut? She says "When they lop-off about
    3/4" of the wood from the left & right sides of the "L", the
    side panels re-attach, and then that makes the door opening slightly smaller,
    which then fits the 18" wide door perfectly."

From the picture the door hinges fit into the existing hinge holes/ So the 3/4 cut is on the other side the 2 Ls and I guess figure out some way to attach the Ls parts using a corner bracket?

• HU-861665563
    4 years ago

@ sanjayradia

there is a link to a PDF document in the thread. it is pretty well explained in the document.

• evdryst
    3 years ago

The link doesn't work anymore *sniffles*

• Lotta LoPiano
    3 years ago

I followed the instructions in the PDF but my door opening is only 14.5". What did I do wrong?

• HU-1913239
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

UPDATE : We found the link to the PDF!:

https://www.ikeahackers.net/2018/01/hack-ikea-corner-sink.html

How did you find the PDF? The links to the PDF above all are dead links now. I'm about to dive into this hack this weekend so I really need the advice!