Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammymcl

Making a silk purse out of a sow's ear

tammymcl
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

That was my dad's favorite saying and boy, does it apply to my house.

I have some ideas for a cosmetic makeover and would love some opinions. I suffer from design paralysis so please save me from myself :)

First- what is this style of home called? I would call it Basically Blah but I'm only partially right. Home was custom built in 1958. Does that make it a ranch?

Secondly, with a 10-15k budget, what styles could the exterior be transformed to without looking inconsistent? Not really fond of nw craftsman style. Love this or an old world look. I know that 15k won't get me this bottom photo look.

Exterior · More Info

Any Input Would be appreciated.

Thank you suzebell and tom for your earlier input.

Comments (43)

• kristielston
    8 years ago

I'm not sure what this style is called either, I wouldn't call it a ranch because of the second story. The bottom is definitely more traditional, love it by the way!!

What about starting with some shutters? I like the ones on the bottom house. With that budget it will be hard to do anything more than cosmetic fixes. Perhaps beefing up the posts to add some interest to the porch.

Good luck!!

tammymcl thanked kristielston
  • Sharie Baker
    8 years ago
    What do you think of 3 dormers? Also black shutters would enhance. I am thinking the railing on second floor would look better black. I am not sure style except traditional. Nice size. How many square feet? Lots of potential.
    tammymcl thanked Sharie Baker
  • jjuchli
    8 years ago

Black shutters and painting the railing black would be lovely, and it would be good to cut back the shrubs that are crowding the house, maybe spread the landscape design forward so it's more sweeping and grand like your reference image. They have no tall trees near the house, and the shrubs are very small and tailored.

tammymcl thanked jjuchli
  • Heidi Dyke
    8 years ago

I'm not going to attempt to label that style (a ranch starter home that got an addition at some point?), but I don't think you're too far off of your inspiration photo there. What you've got is pretty...it's just not really a decided style. It's a Sandra D house.

My first suggestion is for the lamppost in the lollipop style of the 60's...it's never going to jive with the look you want, so I would first suggest that you either replace with something more country-estate-ish or remove it altogether in favor of porch lighting (I'm advocating both chandeliers down the porch length and also sconces by the door, regardless of what happens with the lamppost).

MapleLawn Farm · More Info

Traditional Exterior · More Info

Next, I would highly recommend styling the porch with some year-round furniture (rocking chairs, hanging swings, etc) OR do what your inspiration photo did and block the view of the porch. My own leaning would be rocking chairs...regardless of the "style", there's nothing so attractive in a house as a deliberately crafted "Welcome to our home!" facade. The key is that it should look stylish but not uptight, and user-friendly but not 3/4 worn out.

A little more expensive, but what about replacing the roof over that bay window with a black metal roof? This would mimic your inspiration and give a little more definite character to the bones of the house.

And I'll echo what Sharie and kristieslton said about the windows. Your house needs mascara! If you go for shutters, I would go all the way and get the kind that actually mount on a hinge and actually close and open. Otherwise, I think you could get away with just painting the trim around the windows black. And, again a little more expensive (ok, a lot), would it be feasible to add a window on that upper story between the deck door and the double window? It feels like something's missing right there. Otherwise, you might try a few flower boxes hanging from the rail and a simple cafe table and chairs.

(I also like the idea of dormers, like your inspiration photo, but I don't think the pitch of your roof could visually justify it - maybe I'm wrong, but I think they would only look they were windows to a crawl space. If $15k is enough to re-pitch the roof (it's not), then I'd say go for dormers. In lieu of such a drastic step, try these other smaller things first and see if they make you happy, then go from there.)

• tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Awesome advice, everyone! As for the idea of enlarging the porch, it's already 8 ft deep. Since I'm in Oregon where it's overcast a lot of the time, I think that making it deeper might block more light than it already does. Unless you mean a semicircular addition?

heres a better view of the porch-

• gtcircus
    8 years ago
    Can you walk out onto the upper deck with the railing? I wonder why the uppers windows are so tiny. If you need access perhaps expanding the windows to sliding doors?
    tammymcl thanked gtcircus
  • pam
    8 years ago

The bay window dates the house, and I agree the windows on the 2nd level are way too small. Replacing the windows, to similar windows in your second photo, and carefully adding the black shutters (as in the 2nd photo) should fit in your budget!

tammymcl thanked pam
  • tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes I can walk out on the upper deck from the door on the left of the porch. The interior stairs start from the smaller window next to the door and end just before the 2nd floor door.

• tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Bell urge,Aggies- the tiny window on the right is in the bathroom. There's not much space between the bottom of the window and the roof.
  • tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Stupid autocorrect- I meant bellburgmaggie.
  • tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Btw, my budget of 10 -15k is for materials only. I have a handy hubby with a contractor bestie to do the work. With that in mind, what say you? :)
  • Tems
    8 years ago

This thread title makes me laugh because it describes my life. Sad too lol

• mmessbl
    8 years ago

Some easy changes would be to play up the bay window by adding shutters and changing its roof out to a swoopy copper roof. Replace the railing with a black iron railing, or paint it black (if it's wood and not plastic). Change the lamppost top to an onion light or lantern-style. Add a chairs and a garden table to your top porch in the blank area, maybe with some potted plants, and rockers down below.

I wonder if a few small changes like the above to the house itself, with more focus on landscaping design for your front yard would get you closer to a look you love?

tammymcl thanked mmessbl
  • housegal200
    8 years ago

Some quick (pricey) thoughts:

--first thing that struck me was a lot of vertical and horizonal business going on--mismatched siding--half vertical, half horizontal; some mismatched window grids, vertical railings against horizonal siding. None of these things is a sin individually, but add them up and you have lines going in all directions. So matching up the siding on the left to the siding on the right would be a start.

--Rather than replace windows on the upper part, what about French doors in the middle opening to the outside? Make sure any grids match the square grids of your windows. Close up the left door. I know, I know, pricey.

--Agree that losing the bay window and replacing with a beautiful large window with grids similar to other windows would help tie your windows together. I'm mainly anti-shutters. They seem like a Band-aid approach when some surgery is needed, and they add more vertical distractions to a house that has a lot of lines going on already.

--Get a landscape designer to create a plan that harmonizes all the landscaping with some beds closest to the house. Right now, between the discordant siding and the mix-up plantings, your very nice house is like someone who put together an outfit of pieces that are individually nice but don't match.

--Some little Band-aids: Paint the front door a bright color--blue, red, yellow. Put a bistro table and a couple chairs in the same color as the front door on your upper deck and some porch furniture on the lower porch in the same color.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 years ago

No sow's ear for me...I like it and think it has potential. I am with libradesigneye and would start today and call it a farmhouse. It has a lot of the right architecture to claim that title. Your budget...not enough for a large reno. I would start with the bay window and replace with onw similar to the one in your inspiration photo (the one under the two dormers). Then I would make sure all the windows have muntins (see my inspiration photo) and paint window trim and muntins black. That may be the end of your budget for now, but think it would make a huge difference.

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

• tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Great advice! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Bay window will be the first thing to go. Love the French door idea upstairs. Paint it white or same color as new front door?

As far as budget, my 10-15k can be stretched. I have free labor so that $ would be for materials only.

• housegal200
    8 years ago

Black trim on all windows and doors if you can manage it. It's a lot of work. Otherwise just go with white but paint your front door (only) in a color and get landscaping with color and a few pieces of outdoor furniture in same color as the door.

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

• tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

House gal-I can't tell with my iPhone- are the windows in your pic all black or is it just the moulding? I have white Windows.

• housegal200
    8 years ago

Looks like the grids are black. It's a lot of work to get this look and may not be a priority.

Just to add something else: if you go with French doors on the upper porch, you could close up your current door part way and put in a small double window that matches the double window you already have. This would balance the upper level façade and give you another window inside whatever room that is.

If you're keeping your current entry level double doors, then try to match as much as possible the French doors on the upper level if you go that route.

Take a second look at the siding that modern farmhouse in the photo--all of it is vertical board similar to the siding on the right side of your house. Matching siding would definitely be something to consider as your budget allows.

tammymcl thanked housegal200
  • tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Only place to put a dbl door would be directly over the front doors. Stairwell is behind that long wall span. I could move dbl window over to right then add an identical one to the left of the new doors. What do you think?

• Dawn Taillon
    8 years ago
    Id do black upstairs railings and wider black trim around windows. add some shutters in black and maybe planter boxes to some of them upstairs. id beef up the colums and make them farm house style for affordability and the style will go, as many have said. watch Fixer Upper on HGTV, FOR MORE IDEAS. I WOULD LIGHTEN OR BRIGHTEN UP the porch area too and add some outdoor lighting at some time.
  • housegal200
    8 years ago

Hmm. Too bad about the staircase. I can't really say whether double doors over your front doors would work. The other possibility is to put another double window, like the existing one, over your staircase so that you don't have the big, blank exterior there. That would be less $$$ than the French doors. (I wish I had Photoshopping skills to try out some of these ideas.)

• gtcircus
    8 years ago
    Taking out the bay window will be a disaster, lots of money, not much return on investment. Work with what you have. First, all the white is not helping this house. I think it needs a softer color. Secondly, the columns are whimpy. I am not afraid of redoing the front of any house, I certainly reworked mine, but the budget you have just for materials will not get you from a sows ear to a silk purse even with free labor - so you have to figure out what will give you the most bang for your buck and here are my thoughts:

1. Beef up the columns
    2. Paint the siding, trim
    3. Update the landscape
    4. If budget allows, look at replacing Windows and doors based on a COMPREHENSIVE plan.

If you decide you are going to do a major construction project, landscape would be last. However, I think you can improve the curb appeal without destroying your budget. I would enlist the services of a design/architectural team. It will SAVE you from lots of expensive mistakes. When I tore my overhang off of my house, I actually liked it just plain, but there was no way to leave it that way as I had already purchased materials. What I am trying to tell you from experience is that LESS is often more. And planning is THE most important phase of any project. I spent the time and money on a schematic of my entire house and then prioritized the projects. Phase I, 2, 3, 4. And yes, over the course of a decade, the overall plan has changed somewhat because your priorities will change along with preferences. Some things just aren't important as you think they are. But the mistakes I made on my house .... Occurred early on before I spent the time developing a comprehensive plan. I realize this is not what you want to hear - because you are excited to dive in, but it is sound advice learned in the school of hard knocks.
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Back - and scanned the rest of the feedback. My extension on the porch isn't for the roof above - it is just for the concrete / patio below. You can trim out the existing posts - even use wood braces on them and the brick on each side coming forward 90 degrees from the front "plane" of the house . . . and add a little bit of train rack trellis extension to the front porch roof if you want the illusion of tying it together

this is a poor example with a bit more of a modern entry feel - you could go modern farmhouse but don't need to with your love of the traditional forms . the idea isn't to darken the entry more, but add merely the illusion of cover for part of the newly added depth below - stick with me as I'm going to use photos where part of the photo describes what i am trying to show you

East Village Roof Garden · More Info

Greek Revival Remodel - Screened Porch · More Info

Imagine the curvy brackets above with pergola elements or just extended rafter tails to visually extend the front roof of the porch but not close more in . .

In Oregon you might do nothing at all = it is the feeling of an expanded entry terrace / porch below that works - just one step up from the lawn . . . . . that is why i guessed halfway to the small tree . . if you can get 14' total . . even with posts running through it . . it becomes more of an outdoor room . . . if 9' is covered and you use rafter tails or trellis forward of the existing fascia just 3' then the feel is that it is under cover but also that the porch is more expansive . . like a farmhouse rambler .

belburge is right about planning and doing less that is more comprehensive. . not sure I agree w/her about white .

considered advising you about window trim in black but think working largely with windows you have except (if budget allows) in that one /pair of upper locations is sort of perfect . . the rest is just trim . . beefing up posts . . don't replace roofs or bays - they are part of the charm you have and want to build upon-

you could add braces just under the prominent front gable and end gables to add a bit more of cottage feel - these are a bit angular for my taste on your house

Greenlake Custom Home · More Info

but it can be done in a charming way- angled braces give one feel / curvy another - more traditional feel - see the back entry - imagine curvy braces - two pair across the front of your house below (two off the siding front of the house on either side of the porch and two off the existing porch posts (after beefing with trim top and bottom / maybe wrapping to make a fatter presentation - the use of one luxe material - real flagstone across the expanse of entry porch plus

with or without small open trellis details above . .

all painted white is how it ties together . gives a sense of shelter but doesn't block a lot of light like the trainrack pergola below over the garage . .

1950's CAPE EXPANSION · More Info

The other reason I grabbed this house is that a couple of simple things are depicted here - the black shutters with white trim . .rustic garage doors with a cross buck motif - can you see a running horse /arrow sort of weather vane at the right spot along the ridgeline, the flagstone terrace, maybe a pale warm greige on the house for contrast if you are tired of the white . .but personally - i would sstick with white since it is hot now - put a pale blue painted exterior grooved plank ceiling on the porch (one shade lighter than nimbus gray - that is a gorgeous tone from ben moore)

The Little House on Cape Cod · More Info

I think the white gives this house a lot of dignity . . and I think the oregon climate is such that an extended terrace out front would provide you with another outdoor room for six months of the year . . black rubberwood rockers . .

let me bring you back some upper storey railing details to consider - are you oregon coast or inland? want but the idea of extending the current horizontal fascia edge on the porch for about half the depth you would extend the (newly faced with stone) entry terrace below . with a step across the entire front . . though you still plant most of it . . i think you can envision what I'm seeing . . see how the posts are set near but not on front edge of this ?

Waterfront Estate · More Info

Traditional Porch · More Info

and here the level being at the door and stepping down beyond gives a more elevated sense of arrival . .

Finally - the image that shows how - simple braces on the posts and a switch of door form gives a lot of more traditional feeling and simple farmhouse charm to your existing house form

Ridgeside Vineyard Farmhouse · More Info

No porch railing required since you just have one step, but this picture shows braces on each side of the porch posts and the sidelights and single entry door orientation suggestion was meant to help you see my original post suggestion in that direction.

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Here you go - the railing details that are traditional AND rustic - classic but interesting ..

Lake Rabun Custom Homes · More Info

• tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wow- thanks for such a detailed post. I think I understand. There weren't any pics after the fourth one so I'm not clear on the latter part of your post. If it's not too much trouble, can you repost those missing pics?
  • pam
    8 years ago

The cost of replacing the bay window would be only the cost of an awesome replacement window... we're both very fortunate to have "free" labor from our very handy husbands! I love a classic white house....maybe instead of black trim, go with a more contemporary/classic dove gray? It would soften the black contrast of the roof.

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Hi tammy - sorry, it wasn't clear because I was typing and then entered photos so it just got out of order . . tried to edit the sentence so it would be clear. To develop your eye, search houzz photos for modern farmhouse and then search for classic farmhouse - see the differences in the details, but also see the wide range of physical house form that works well in this genre.

Classic details seem to fit your love of traditional forms best . . yes, change the post light to a black barn lantern asap. Here's a vintage classic made new http://www.lightingdirect.com/millennium-lighting-rrws15-rpas-r-series-1-light-post-light-with-15-wide-radial-shade-and-single-post-adapter/p2282446

Eventually, you might use shingles or shingle siding in the gables above a wide trim board to build visual textures that differentiate the architectural elements. Take this photo of your home, blow up and make a dozen print outs,

then use a gray sharpie to draw new windows above or cut and paste . . here's a pair of single hung / double hung in an upper story so you see what two pairs of them would do for the facade.

Lowcountry Residence · More Info

You have an amazing home. Please share your choices and progress with us as you move along whatever your choices. Good luck!

• Jean Benelli
    8 years ago

Do you use the upper deck? I would beef up the railings like others suggested and remove the deck. Extend the porch roof to the upper story and change out the door to the deck with a large window. The photo above explains how the porch would look after removing the deck. I don't mind the bay window, I can see the house with or without it. Lovely home. And do paint the entry door a wonderful cheery color.

• tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Libraeyedesign- I will make some photo copies tomorrow and do some doodling. I will post my pics.

To answer Pam's question, we don't really use our upper deck. I spend my of my time here in my garden which is a whole different design dilemma. :)
  • tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I shouldn't watch the Super Bowl while I type. I meant to say "most of my time".
  • tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Jean- I am not clear on your suggestion of beefing up the railing yet removing the upper porch. Can you explain it a bit more?
  • sputnik2016
    8 years ago

Nice place! I agree with shutters, black probably. Brighten up the front porch area, it's really dark, should look inviting, nice bright color on the front door so guest will know where it is. Paint the house white to freshen it up. The second story railing a must go, why would anyone do that in the front of the house. Nice bright chairs on the front porch, some nice curtains in the windows. Landscape, landscape, landscape. The house just really needs some color.

• Bette P
    8 years ago

Your house has tons of potential. Investigate & hire an architect in your area, they usually have websites and photos of homes they have worked on. If you have free labour, this is well worth the investment.

• tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jean- after rereading, I understand what you are saying. An idea worth considering.

Sputnik- I must confess that the monstrous deck railing was of my own doing many years ago. This mistake is why I am here. :)

This is a pic of our original railing which has sat behind our shop until I can find a way to use it somewhere.

• tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Upstrs porch pic

• User
    8 years ago

The upper level looks like an add-on. First look and I think you have too much of the facade covered by foliage. Also, your house is more of a grey than the bright white of the home that inspires you. Painting and landscaping would make a HUGE difference. You need shutters in strategic places, painted a glossy black. On the left you have a tree that's highlighted against the house. Can you trim that back and open up the branches (cut crossing branches and ones that aim towards the inside of the tree) and then it will have a more sculptural look rather than a blocking feature.

• tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Puremichigan- trimming the tree would certainly help. It may be the lighting, but the house is SW pure white. Here's a different view-
  • housegal200
    8 years ago

Honestly, I think your railings are not a problem. They blend into the house just fine. How about putting a couple red/blue/yellow Adirondack chairs up there and painting your front door red? The inconsistent siding is what seems off to my eye.

To balance out the various façades, think about adding another window to break up that big expanse of wall--matched to the double window already there. Then get a great window to replace the bay. (It's a shame you can't do the French doors.) Start with your windows--getting some balance up there and the bay window below.

And work on getting professional landscaping. There are relatively small things within your budget that will pay off quickly. Then think about some of the other but pricier suggestions. Meanwhile, enjoy your house!

• tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Housegal- How about French doors directly above the front doors?
  • housegal200
    8 years ago

I think finding someone who could Photoshop different options might be a help. This is beyond my skill set. You need a sequential plan so that you don't create new problems fixing the old ones, i.e. if you put French doors above the first-story French doors, you'll probably need to balance out the left with windows that match those on the right. Someone else might suggest a row of windows all across the top story. You need an overall design plan. (I don't like using the word "problems." Your house just has some inconsistencies that shouldn't require major rehauls beyond your stated budget.) That said, I think there are some not-over-the-top changes--bay window, a bit of color, landscaping--you can do first then address the second-story once the first story is addressed.

tammymcl thanked housegal200
  • tammymcl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Photoshop is a good idea. I will see if I can get that done in the next few days. I'm enjoying all the input!