Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arialvetica

Did you and your builder have any conflicting assumptions?

arialvetica
8 years ago

If so, what details could have been on your original bid/contract to avoid confusion down the line?

The reason I ask is because our builder assumed we wanted 4" baseboards and bid them out that way (I am pretty sure I want 5.25" or so). We caught it early enough that it's totally not a big deal, but it has me wondering if there are other details I should pay special attention to, to make sure we are all on the same page.

Comments (6)

• alley2007
    8 years ago

This is a perfect example of why everything should be specified in the contract. I wouldn't assume that what my builder normally does/considers standard/thinks I want is actually what I want.

• User
    8 years ago

In the construction of multi-family and commercial buildings, all elements of the project are drawn and/or specified along with written quality and installation standards and an architect is required to prepare those documents and to be involved from the beginning to the end. The expense of those services is a small part of the project cost and the cost of errors in both money and time is great.

But for homebuilding an architect is not required and the cost of complete contract documents is thought to be too expensive and builders in general believe it is unnecessary. But the absence of complete documents and an owner's representative clearly creates a risk to the owner.

If you are willing to take the risk, you should carry a contingency for errors in your budget and at least sit down with your builder and make a list of the materials and features and make it a part of the contract.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I wanted craftsman style windows with 4" trim on the sides and 6" headers and that is specified in our contract. So are 8" baseboards, 6" frieze boards, dropped ceilings, the design of the bookcases between the living/dining-kitchen area, etc. I'm sure I left out a few things, but overall, I tried to figure it all out before even signing.

• User
    8 years ago

Related, I assumed everything not specified by the architect would be done in a way similar to the overall quality of the home. Wrong. Whenever a decision needed to be made the builder chose the absolute cheapest material or method. Luckily most everything was specified in the plan documents. But I have those cheap $1 door stops, for example.

Also. I let myself get talked into accepting some things that had been done without consulting the selection schedule. Most of these were minor, but one bothers me every time I see it. Totally my fault, I should have asked it be changed to match the drawings. And I let the builder talk me into a blah deck color. Why did I do that?

Anyway good luck!

• bdslack
    8 years ago

We got an architect that detailed every building specification - and a designer that did the same for all the interior finishes. The contractor didn't like this because he thought it was his "talent" - but we encouraged him to use his expertise to build the best home he could while coming in under budget. It was well worth the 8K we spent on both design trades (actually it was worth much more as the architect saved us from many dumb design mistakes). At the end of the day the builder hated both of them.