Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcgrizz

36 inch dual fuel range decision

Doreen
8 years ago
Buying a 36 inch dual fuel range and a 27 inch single oven. Would appreciate advice thoughts on
1. Miele vs Jenn Air vs Kitchen Aid
2. 6 burner vs 4 burner with griddle
3. Basic 27 inch oven or look for a feature
I will tell you the ease of Mieles 45 degree oven control panel, steam assist and dehydrating features are appealing, but griddle seems messy and hard to clean. Jenn Airs griddle design is sweet, but have to lean over to program oven and no steam or dehydrate.
Don't know much about kitchen aid other than it comes recommended by our designer.

Comments (26)

• User
    8 years ago

Don't bother with dual fuel. It's gimmickry and overpriced. Do a36" induction cooktop with 2 linkable elements for a stovetop griddle then do double wall ovens.

• Doreen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks but don't have room for wall ovens in new design and prefer gas cooktop.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

Don’t forget the make-up air and high CFM exhaust system you will need. As for dual fuel I love my gas oven and I don’t think kitchenaid makes great gas stoves

Doreen thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Doreen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Have I experience with gas oven. Would you care to comment on the things you like? Thanks!

• Doreen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Meant NO experience...sorry!

• Rodger Benson
    8 years ago

We have a Jenn Air. Id rather be beaten by monkeys than ever have another. Downdraft is poor at moving the air, the lift out burner units are no where near hot enough. We will go to Induction in new home

Doreen thanked Rodger Benson
  • ryenut
    8 years ago

Have you made a decision yet? I am in a very similar situation except we are reusing our 27 inch wall oven/microwave combo but looking for a 36 inch dual fuel range. I have a Kitchenaid wall oven/microwave combo and love it. I love the temperature probe and easy convect features. We are looking at the Miele and Dacor for the range. We were looking at Kitchenaid too but I decided I want stovetop controllers that light up for an extra safety pro caution. I saw a griddle demo today at the Miele store and just didn't like how you have to season it and because of that it looks dirty and grimy all the time (so decided against the built in griddle). Supposedly they are coming out with a cover soon but they don't have pictures and don't know when (so that makes me nervous). Still deciding between the Miele and the Dacor. The Miele is a really good looking oven and suppose to be great. I like that the Dacor comes with removable griddle that fits on top (with Miele I would have to buy one and store it somewhere).

• Doreen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @ryenut, after too much research and sleepless nights over this decision, we have ordered a 36 inch kitchen aid dual fuel with 4 burners and griddle. We cook stovetop more than oven and the griddle design is identical to Jenn Air (same manufacturer) which we really liked. I admit, the Miele is amazing, but for the money, I think my cooking and baking will be equally impressive with the kitchen aid. Before ordering, we called our local appliance repairman who said he rarely gets called to repair kitchen aid. Now, I am finally getting a decent nights sleep....until I have to decide on the flooring!! Lol!!
  • Doreen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Also, found a Bosch 27 inch convection oven floor model on sale for the extra oven to be placed under counter
  • Rodger Benson
    8 years ago

Hopefully we can find what we want, the process of finding it will be easier once we answer a few other questions for sure.

• Tracy Kristensen
    7 years ago

DcGrizz- Do you have the model you got? I am on the hunt!

• Doreen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tracy we went with 36 inch dual fuel with 4 gas burners and griddle. So far, I love it. Had the whole range going one weekend making a double batch of manicotti with homemade sauce stuffed with spinach, cheeses and sausage. Have had fun making quesadillas and pancakes on the griddle. Had 3 trays of cookies going the other day.....only complaint is they cooked a little uneven on convect. Will do some reading. Maybe it was me. Happy with our choice. Good luck.

• cubies1
    7 years ago
    @dcgrizz Can you offer your opinion on the fan and how much noise it makes? We're very close to pulling the trigger on a 36" Dual Fuel KitchenAid and one of the only real negatives I've read in reviews is how noisy it is while it's running because of the fan. Has this been issue for you or even noticeable?
  • kimberlysc
    7 years ago
    Wolf dual fuel, 4 burner, with griddle, bet of the best.
  • chloebud
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

dcgrizz, several months ago we had an appliance tech come to look at our washing machine. We got to talking about kitchen appliances, and he told me KitchenAid is a very good bet for that price range. Appliance reviews are ridiculously confusing. Seems the best thing to do is base your choice on features instead of brand name.

• Doreen Griswold
    7 years ago

there is fan noise but until you asked, I hadn't noticed or paid any attention. I asked my husband if he thought it was loud and he said no louder than what we had before.

Glad to hear your appliance guy agrees with ours! I've used the range 5-6 days a week and the oven about 2 days a week and have had no problems so far! Happy with our decision.

• sgconnolly
    5 years ago

I know this is from a few years ago but I am wondering if you are still out there and if you still like your oven. We are making a similar decision now and wondering about the reliability of the kitchen aid ovens?

• Doreen Griswold
    5 years ago

Very happy with our kitchen aid. Have had no problems. Have a 4 burner with the griddle which has been nice for quesadillas, pancakes,grilled cheese. Probably would do 6 burner if I did it again.

• sgconnolly
    5 years ago
    Thanks so much for replying. That is really helpful.
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We went with the Frigdaire pro series.. will be delivered mid June for the new build here- 36inch cooktop/gas, with electric wall oven. DW and a sharp slide out microwave drawer.

• janecalle
    5 years ago

I'll second the KitchenAid dual fuel, with a rather quirky comment. Ours is 3+ years old and we are very happy with it. Now, we too got the middle griddle. I haven't let anyone use it, including myself. I know, I know, how ridiculous is that? We were told it cleans up real nice but in my head I think (ugh, messy), and I have a convenient electric griddle I pull out for pancakes and such. This isn't our forever home and part of me just wants to keep the range "like new" for the next buyers and then they can have at it. I clean the stove top after each use (that's just me). Sooo, my question to Doreen is, since you use your griddle frequently, just how well does it clean up? My "hands off the griddle" thing will go down as a family chuckle for years. But hey, it looks real pretty! :)

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

our neighbours have the gas meile & griddle, the only comment when we asked,was that the griddle does not get hot enough for steak searing/cooking>> only good for pancakes they said.

• Margo M
    3 years ago

hey guys i i know this is from 2 years ago but we are trying to make a decision after alot of back and forth on a 36 in duel fuel, i have been looking at the kitchenaid myself as well, i know its been a few years now since you had it, or maybe anything else anyone can recommend,

• jbuckley14
    3 years ago

@margo m- any response? Same question from us!

• Miguel
    last year

Stay away from Bluestar. We are a out throw out our 36" culinary series after endless oven failures. The latest being a gas leak. We've had 7 repairs, recalls, ranging from convection fan failure after year 2, 5 oven igniters, and in the last 7 years. Total fail.