Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Ft Worth Spring Swap Trade Page for March 26 2016

sylviatexas1
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Please post your haves & wants here!

suggestions & guidelines:

Keep a running list of haves & wants & trades that you've worked out, so that you don't promise the same plant to 2 people.

I just know this.

You can trade anything for anything, as long as both parties are in agreement, but please be a fair trading partner.

You can trade your family's cow for a handful of magic beans if you wish, but please don't put someone else on the spot by asking for their cow in return for your handful of beans.

Don't take anything from anyone's table without that person's express consent.

If the trader declines your offer, that's all that needs to be said; maybe there's no room in their garden for a beanstalk, but they don't owe us an explanation, & the swap is meant to be a fun experience for everyone.

It's a good idea to water your plants the morning before the swap, & put them in your car that night. This assures that the plants are hydrated, & you don't have such a manic rush the morning of the swap.

It took me 15 years to figure this out.

Label things! It's so easy for a recipient to forget which name went with which plant.

It's helpful to either email care instructions to the recipient of your trade or to write it out & bring it to the swap.

You can put each person's pre-trades in a box with the person's name & a list of what you're bringing them & maybe a list of what they're bringing to you.

Put these boxes in one place, say on the bench or under the table, & put your "available" items on the table.

If I've omitted anything, somebody please remind me or add it to this post!

Since spring has started early this year (my irises have started blooming already!), my "have" list so far is sparse, but here goes:

Have:

tall Mexican petunia-gets maybe 4' tall, grows thrives in full sun, blooms all summer til hard frost, bees love it. spreads by underground runners & seeds. cannot be killed.

lemon mint-really smells like lemon & mint, & you can put it in your hot or iced tea, or do like I do & put it where you'll walk past it every day & brush it to release the fragrance, which makes you smile. spreads like a rumor!

vinca minor-You know how people sometimes whine because they can't get grass to grow under their trees? That's because under-the-trees is the natural habitat of this spreading vine. If you water it in August, it's evergreen. If you don't water it, it goes dormant & looks awful but it returns. This plant, too, spreads like a maniac; I have some that has crept through the fence & is growing on a mulch path.

Artemesia-I think it's Louisiana artemesia, which gets about 4' tall before it flops over & you have to cut it back. never paid attention before, but this winter it stayed "ever-gray". wonderful velvety silver-gray foliage is fragrant, sort of spicy/minty. likes sun & heat.

Irises-

Iris Albicans, the old white cemetery iris, small old-fashioned flowers, blooms early & doesn't care if you pay attention to it or not.

Crimson King , a historic iris with red/purple flowers, blooms early; it's blooming right now with albicans.

If you want irises, please speak up for them early, so I can mark them while they're blooming.

Mulch! I have more mulch than I can use. (Gasp!) A tree-trimming company brought me a truckload. As the truck was leaving, the driver paused & leaned out & asked me if I could use some more. Thinking "more" meant maybe next month, I said, "Sure!"

so he brought me another truckload that afternoon.

broken pottery & china.

Wants:

irises

dianthus/pinks

brugmansia-I actually over-wintered some plants this winter, so maybe I can actually keep a brug for longer than 7 months!

Comments (83)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

missouribound...bummer!

Of course I'll take things back forth;

& I have tons of mulch for you!

I picked up more hostas today;

this is a sort of rescue mission.

The lady is 86 years old she wants her hostas to have new homes, so if you have some shade & want healthy hostas, speak now!

• missouribound
    8 years ago

Thanks Sylvia. I have absolutely no luck with hostas but I'd like to try a couple. Wonder how she kept the slugs off of them?

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I didn't know enough to ask LOL!

Seems like I heard/read somewhere that you can put a ring of diatomaceous earth around plants to keep slugs off.

I just got the rest of the hostas today (& that heating pad is calling my name!), so I have hostas for everyone who wants them;

just let me know, so I bring enough.

They're sitting in cardboard boxes, roots still encased in the clay/gumbo that they were growing in, with mulch packed around to keep them from drying out.

I'll find better "pots" for them, but they'll still have their original mud;

it's probably the best thing for them.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

It's a lovely day for digging!

Here's the list so far of what I'll bring:

Sylvia :
    Sanservia for succulent
    Hen and chicks for lemon mint
    Obedient plants
    Blue beer bottles

Shan :
    Yellow Squash and Cucumber and Hen and chicks for veggie

Also bringing:
    Hardy Amaryllis johnsonii
    Lyre Leaf sage
    one Crinum lily, no idea on the color. It's not bloomed in 5 years that I've had it
    Obedient plants
    Sanservia
    night blooming cereus
    Huernia macrocarpa (tiny maroon blooms)
    Devils Backbone

Short yellow cannas

tall red or orange cannas

any interest in blue spruce sedum? I can dig some but I've been bringing it for several years and maybe everyone has all they want.

edited again to add that I found two althea seedlings. Mom is a single white bloomer.

• Shan G.
    8 years ago

Hello, all! My mom just divided her day lilies so I'll be bringing a pot of them too for anyone that is interested.

I'm hoping to stop by Starbucks for a bag of used coffee grounds before the swap too.

• darlenegalindo
    8 years ago

Syliva, I would like some of your hostas. I'm going in search of that Folgers coffee that you like. I've never seen it before. I'm hoping Walmart has it :) Thanks.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yay Darlene!

Yay coffee LOL!

I've found another good coffee, which might be easier to find:

Maxwell House Bold.

Just a small can will be more than enough.

• Shan G.
    8 years ago

My Running Swap List

Sylvia: My paperwhites, mums (any color) and oak leaf and curly endive lettuces for your comfrey, lavender-flowering sedum, blue spruce sedum & another sedum, hostas and fig cuttings

PK: My lettuce, collards or yellow pear tomato for your yellow blooming sedums (hen and chicks), yellow squash and cucumber

abarbie4me2: My rabbit manure, mums and devils backbone for your tx mountain laurel, society garlic, Buffalo currant, native rock rose pavonia, a redbud tree and a dragon fruit cutting

Phil S: 2 bags of potting soil (I owe you from last Spring's swap)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

An old friend who was visiting his kids when he should have been starting the garden will give a good home to any tomato or vegetable plants, & you can have whatever you want from my list!

& if it isn't on my list, ask; I may have forgotten something that I can dig up!

• Shan G.
    8 years ago

Barbie- Could I also get some Buffalo currant, native rock rose pavonia, a redbud tree and a dragon fruit cutting? I can add mums and more rabbit manure or potting soil to your swap items from me.

Sylvia- I can bring him some mesclun (oak leaf and curly endive) transplants. I think I will wait to dig them up until the day before; the ones I've already potted don't look as perky as they did in the ground!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

cool!

thanks!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

shan, someone gave me fig cuttings! They have "figlets"!

I don't know about figs, so maybe it's normal for figs to form while the bush/tree is leafing out.

I have them in water, will bring!

• abarbie4me2
    8 years ago

Shan, got those dug and added to list.

• Shan G.
    8 years ago

Sylivia- I'm super excited about the cuttings with 'figlets', lol!

Thanks, Barbie!

• lindabuchanan13
    8 years ago

Abarbie4me2, if your button bush comes up I would like another one or seeds. The one I got from you last year didn't make it. Also would like your Dutchman's pipe. I can bring potting soil or large pot in exchange. I have a trade list going if you see anything on it that you want.

• abarbie4me2
    8 years ago

Linda, Added your name to dutchmans pipe and Button bush seeds. The plants haven't leafed out yet so I don't know where they are but I have plenty of seeds. I should also have hibiscus seeds, I'll bring what I have for you to look through.

If no one has spoken for the large yellow coneflower, I would like one.

• lindabuchanan13
    8 years ago

I'll put your name on the yellow coneflower.

• Shan G.
    8 years ago

Linda- I am interested in a rooted brug stem, hot lips salvia, cigar cuphea and blue pincushion but I don't have any of the items on your want list. Would you swap for potting soil or something else? My haves list is further up in this thread, let me know if something interests you on it.

• Shan G.
    8 years ago

PK- I hardened off the seedlings starting last week and we got hail on Wednesday. The collard and pear tomato seedlings didn't make it. I still have lettuce transplants I can bring. Is there anything else on my list that you're interested in (or I can pick up some potting soil or something else?)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

I had some issues with the hail on cucumbers too :-)

Do you still have mums?

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ladies & Gentlemen, I am here to announce...I'm done! I think.

I have

hosta for Darlene,

super-sized pot & skullcap for Barbie,

figlets, comfrey, 2 sedums + a blue spruce sedum, & hostas for Shan,

3 kinds of irises for javamom,

& succulents, lemon mint, & pot shards for Pam.

Also threw some "been in the garage for a long time & don't know why" stuff (butter crock, plastic watering can, etc) into a box & will bring it.

bringing a cheese/cracker/olive/pickle tray & some bottled water.

also have the following:

Louisiana artemesia-runs like a racehorse but great if you have a hot dry sunny area where absolutely nothing will grow & a 3-4' plant won't block the view of traffic.

Mexican petunias

pink heartleaf skullcap

vinca minor

lemon mint

lamb's ears

comfrey

teeny tiny rosemary

2 teeny tiny salvia greggii, pretty sure it's a light red

1 pot Louisiana iris

teeny tiny sugar snap peas

a couple of crinums, don't know color.

My plan is to get there by 9 AM & put out the sign;

if anyone needs me, please text 214 980 5496, as I may or may not be back online before tomorrow.

• Shan G.
    8 years ago

Pk, ill go dig some now, thanks!

• Nan
    8 years ago

Irisfan, can I have your contact please...I'm confused about the location... Thanks JavaMom Oops sorry got it

• PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

She just called me Nan and is on location already. I'm Pam 214-802-7124, call me if you need. Sylvia said that the park is very crowded this morning and our pavilion, the first one as you enter the park has no parking. Please park at the mini train station and walk back to pavilion 5. As you pull into Trinity Park from University Dr, we are on your immediate left, but parking is farther down.

• Shan G.
    8 years ago

I will be there but running late, the baby decided to pick up a cup of egg dye, sipped it, then dropped it. Gotta clean the floor and the kid.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

We anxiously await your arrival!

• tomanamy
    8 years ago

I'm looking for jujube scionwood such as li, Lang, or any good fruit production. Please let me know if you can help

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You might check on some of the other gardenweb forums; I think there's one for fruiting plants & one for plant propagation.

Also, you can do a search for the name.

Best luck!

• Dee Moreland Jones
    8 years ago

drats I didnt get to attend... got tied up with my mom and missed it!!! waaaaaaa

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dang! I hate for anyone to miss a swap!

don't know where you are, but there are several swaps coming up;

the Waxahachie one is next week-end, there's one in Denton, & the Ft Worth Botanical Gardens Plant Sale is coming up, also.

& we have an autumn swap in Ft Worth, too, almost always in October.

• Shan G.
    8 years ago

I enjoyed the swap today! It was great making some new garden friends (and catching up with others!) Hope to see you guys again this Fall!

• darlenegalindo
    8 years ago

Had a great time on Saturday as always. Loved seeing my plant buddies. Had to go home and take a nap though. The walking and the wind and the driving home and unloading did a number on me. LOL!! Can't wait until the Fall swap!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How long til Augie gets his driver's license LOL?

• darlenegalindo
    8 years ago

Please! He slept all the way home! I would have to sleep with one eye open and one eye closed. LOL!

• lindabuchanan13
    8 years ago

Shan, I'm so sorry that I didn't see your post on Friday with your wants from my list. Are you going to the Denton swap? If so, I can get you the plants that you want. I apologize for not checking the website until after the swap.

• abarbie4me2
    8 years ago

We stopped at the orchid sale before we went home so more plants followed me home ;-)

• darlenegalindo
    8 years ago

What all did you get?

• Shan G.
    8 years ago

No worries, lindabuchanan13! I did not make the Denton swap, but maybe I can get some brugs from you at the Fall swap.

sylviatexas1- So far, two of the 5 fig cuttings have rooted! I'm pleased as punch!! I see figs in my future! Also, the hostas are very happy in their new bed.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yay!

• Nan
    8 years ago

Hi everyone, how is your garden doing ? Silvia I think most of my Iris from you doing great just have to wait till next year to see the blooms, one of my bru die I hope the other will survive, my tall mexican petunia is great so does my Amaryllis, can't wait to see you all in October...Hi to Darlene, Pam and everybody else...Glad to meet you girls...

• dolphin_79605
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Have been growing garlic, onions, shallots and elephant garlic. I'd very much enjoy visiting with others in this temperate zone who are successfully growing garlic or other alliums be they wild, native, domesticated or from Mars. West Central Texas Usda 7b/8a

• Nan
    7 years ago

Hi there,

I never try garlic before, but planted some green onions...I have tomatoes, strawberries, swiss chards, pepper (not great), Kale...do not much plant produce because too many bird and sometimes rabbit like to visit...

Nice to meet you here !

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

Hi Dolphin, we'll announce the fall swap date later on, as the time grows closer. We'd love to have you join us in Fort Worth!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

yep!

For the time being, you might make a new post;

it'll get more activity & interest.

as long as you save some for the Autumn Swap...

• Nan
    7 years ago

Hi Sylvia, how are you doing ? Hope you have a wonderful Spring !!! Glad we got to meet last April and looking forward to see you again ! Say HI to everyone...Hi Pam !

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

Hi Nan!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi, Nan!

I keep thinking,

"It's too hot, time for me to go into summer dormancy; *no more plants*!

but they keep following me home...

& every year I say,

"I'm not going to water these pots of plants through the summer.

Anybody left in a flowerpot after May 30 gets composted."

Pots of plants have homesteaded 3 plastic wading pools here.

• Nan
    7 years ago

Hahahahaha...my husband fave words : You brought another mouth to feed ????

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

& the beat goes on:

had to go to Red Oak this afternoon, tried to drive past Ace Hardware but the car turned into the parking lot.

Poor plants!

got 2 Drift roses, $4.99 each, one warm pink/coral, one warm blush white.

also 2 hibiscus & 2 moss roses/purslanes.

• Nan
    7 years ago

I just got into sempervivum and ordered from Chris/The Sempervivum Patch at ATP/NGO and a nursery in CA...Wish me luck, don't realize that before but apparently they are Alpine Plants which don't mind the cold but need to be in afternoon shade during our Hot Summer...They sure are purty though !!!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations