Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasprs

"Toilet room" in the master bathroom - good or bad idea??

kasprs
8 years ago
We are planning the build of a new home. I think it would be really different and practical to have a separate space for the toilet. Our current design for the master bath is attached.

What are your thoughts about the master bathroom being broken up into two areas, with a pocket door between - practical? Or should it be one open space.

Any suggestions to make this better?

Comments (22)

• Karol Evans
    8 years ago
    U
  • emilyam819
    8 years ago

I hate pocket doors and toilet rooms. Personal preference. Your layout works well. I like that you have linens and a decent sized shower in the toilet area.

• Architectural Notice
    8 years ago

I have seen many homes with separate space for the toilet in the master bath.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

I prefer a separate room for the toilet.

• kasprs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @emilyam819 could you elaborate on why you prefer not to have pocket doors? I've never lived with them so I'm generally uneducated about pros cons
  • Lisa G
    8 years ago

I like toilets being in a separate area. It feels more private, you can contain any unfortunate odors easier (haha), and if someone else really needs access to the rest of the bathroom you don't have to keep both doors locked.

• goddidit27
    8 years ago
    I personally could not imagine life without a toilet room. I love the privacy when you have to share a bathroom with your mate.
  • Jennifer Thomson
    8 years ago
    One of the problems with the pocket doors is that you can't hang towel hooks or electrical in the walls with pocket doors. They are also hard to slide in most cases, and hard to fix if they get off track. Having said that, I use them in areas that I seldom need to close, but can if I need to, such as a master bath like yours.
    I hate cleaning shower doors so I try to create door less showers. You have room to do that.
  • mantissa91737
    8 years ago
    Is there a way to flip it and put the shower where the toilet and linen are and put the pocket door there so the shower is still part of the open space??
  • Craig Harvey
    8 years ago
    We have a separate room and love it, but I would not have the shower in the same space if you can avoid it. Think about when two people are in the bathroom at the same time... Morning or night prep.

Also have pocket doors and they are great to conserve Space but not great for privacy.
  • myownstyle13
    8 years ago

I get claustrophobic in these small toilet rooms and there is usually no space for personal hygiene products and no sink. Wouldn't want to touch the doorknob without washing my hands.

• handmethathammer
    8 years ago

I am with ranmarie. I often wonder who cleans the inside of those doors and doorknobs that separate the toilet from the rest of the bathroom....and how often.

Otherwise I like the design. I like that you included a linen cabinet in there. I often wonder what happens if you need toilet paper or other items when using one of those toilet rooms with nothing but a toilet inside.

I am not a fan of pocket doors. I feel like I have to fiddle with tiny little metal things to open them, close them, lock them. I see their practicality though in avoiding the door swings.

• acm
    8 years ago

Also, nobody has mentioned that you will need two sets of ventilation fans to cover the shower and bath areas. Seems inefficient. I dunno, have never had a problem taking turns on the toilet, even when getting ready at the same time otherwise. Plus, you end up making a decent-sized bathroom feel claustrophobic. I want to see my spiffy shower tile!

• Linda H
    8 years ago

Definitely do a water closet!!!

• tatts
    8 years ago

Pocket doors are a pain.

• User
    8 years ago

Accessible design says no. And you need a 60" turning radius. We're all old farts. Better think about that.

• luvsparis
    8 years ago
    I wouldn't buy a house that didn't have a separate toilet room in the master. As for where to put extra TP, we have something devised just for that purpose. It has a long handle that the TP stacks on. I've also seen people use baskets.
  • jhmarie
    8 years ago

I do not like the separate room because no access to fresh water and many do not have storage for personal hygiene items - apparently only used by the post menopausal. Pre-moistened TP clogs systems and American's do not generally have bidets. I also find them claustrophobic. Most people with a large master bathroom have at least one or two more bathrooms, so privacy is not generally a problem.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

I think separate space in the same bathroom makes no sense who wants to do their business while someone is brushing their teeth REALLY what is that all about. I get separate rooms for the toilet and a small sink but not connected to the master or any other bathroom

• kasprs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the great suggestions @tedbixby
  • Jill McK
    8 years ago

We have our master bath with an enclosed toilet and shower space and I hate it. Its too closed off and it makes me never want to clean in there! We plan to make it all one room. I can see having a separate enclosed space for toilet but for shower too? I think its just weird. Especially when you go to clean your shower down that whole room stinks of cleaning supplies. We have a window in the room but its up high and I have to use a ladder to open.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional