Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdidea

Seeking backyard makeover ideas

sdidea
8 years ago
We want to do a veggie patch, plant some fruit trees, make a small rose garden and a small flower like annuals or perennial garden. I'm uploading few pic from different angle. We have a covered patio but want to build another patio where the fire pit is currently places. Any assistance is truly appreciated.

Comments (16)

• Rina
    8 years ago

The back yard looks approximately square in shape. Is it?

And can we have a pic that shows the whole of the back of the house, including the positioning of the current covered patio and the fire pit?

• arvilla_trag
    8 years ago
    if you have a section of fence that gets southern exposure, you could espalier some fruit trees. I highly recommend using a good garden planner software, one of which is available at Territorial Seeds. The only problem with that particular software is it is very heavily weighted towards vegetables. The company that actually makes the software may have other options, as garden design software is all they do. And they do it EXTREMELY well.
  • sdidea
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks! I will take a pic in the morning. Yes will look for the software. That is south facing.
  • arvilla_trag
    8 years ago
    The software company is GrowingInteractive.com
  • Gene Daniels
    8 years ago
    Where I live the local nurseries will actually do a full design drawing of a landscaping plan for around $300, and then give you 10% off everything you buy from them for the next year.

I had a blank canvas at my last house ad designed it all myself. It turned out ok but at our new place I am having it designed (with) my input. I've seen the difference and designing a yard - to me - looks that much better when done by a pro.

It's not easy. But it is a fun project! Good luck!
  • sdidea
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here is back of the house. The yard is not square.
  • Rina
    8 years ago

Rectangle. Wider side to side? Or shorter side to side? Approximate shape?

Actually I'm off to bed, so I don't know if you won't have all the help you need by my morning. Good luck.

Very cool idea to get a free design from a nursery.

• sdidea
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Rectangle, short side to side. Any help is appreciated!
  • Rina
    8 years ago

This isn't exactly the style I envisaged but it's not a million miles away (think of the arch to the left as the entrance to the veggie garden, the play house as the two-seat-and-table). Anyway, it's so lovely I thought you might like a bit of inspiration -- well worth clicking on. And it's virtually monochrome, with the green and yellow. I would never have the discipline to do that.

http://www.bcliving.ca/garden/garden-makeover-creating-a-multi-level-garden

• suezbell
    8 years ago

Great idea to put the patio in a place that will get shade. You might consider creating an arbor over a paving stone floor.

http://www.thedexpert.com/1000_750_csupload_39168368.jpg?u=3808010225

http://cdn.goodshomedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/campfire.jpg

Planting climbing rose bushes along the fence on each side nearest the house would be a great idea whether you use a splayed trellis for each separate bush

https://dzevsq2emy08i.cloudfront.net/paperclip/project_image_uploaded_images/1261/carousel/1404832516_wisteria%20trellis%20b.jpg?1404832516

or use the fence as a frame onto which you can attach support.

Farther from the house where the sun shines against the fence you could use the fence and stakes in the ground (or hay bale) near the fence to create a string frame for beans to climb. [ Recently (at Tractor Supply Store) I saw a magazine that showed veggies being planted in hay bales. I intend to try that this year for some heirloom tomato plants. ]

When you plant your fruit trees, make sure they'll not shade your veggie garden as they get taller -- put the trees along the north edge of your garden plot.

For raised beds you could build wood boxes out of treated lumber rather than using stone or brick -- just pick up some thick black plastic to line the boxes to prevent rot and don't set the treated lumber planters next to any veggie plants you plant in the ground. Even though regulations within the last decade or so have required the chemicals for treated lumber to be less toxic, chemicals are still used.

Something you can do now that will prove to be useful to you later is cut up cardboard boxes and lay the cardboard on the ground where you intend to dig for your garden, adding something to weigh them down, and leaving them in place till you're ready to till your soil in order to block the sun to kill the grass and weeds at that spot.

You might want to get some graph paper (comes in tablets at big box stores) and draw, to scale, the size and shape of your yard to help you decide what you want to put where.

Enjoy your new hobby ... and your home grown veggies this summer.

• sdidea
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I just thank you enough Rina for all your left. The fig looks great. I hope I can come close.
  • sdidea
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks so very much Suebell, I am going to get all your ideas as well. Just a question, you mentioned not to use stone for veggie raised garden. Is there any reason. In fact I was thinking of using stone ☹.
  • sdidea
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you so much Dan and Arvilla_tag. I'm going to use all your ideas. Thanks as to all!! If you have pics please feel free to post.
  • Rina
    8 years ago

Sdidea, with a garden we can't ask for instant pictures, but please let us know how you are going. To create a garden is a wondrous thing.

• PRO
    California Fence Company
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

As far as your question is concerned
    about backyard makeover,in my opinion that fire pits are definitely a great
    addition to every front yard, back yard or garden – they are great for warming
    up your hands and feet during the cold days and evenings, and they are an even
    better choice for making some BBQ. A attractive and properly maintained garden
    can certainly add color, vitality and liveliness to your backyard.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!