Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knittyhorse

Need Advice: Exterior Paint colors to complement Cu color roof

Mrs. GLee
8 years ago

Hi,

DH and I have chosen a metal roof color called "Copper Penny" for our new house. I'd love to hear ideas about paint colors (siding, trim, doors) that will complement the copper-color roof. *Note that the roof will remain copper-color. It is not a copper roof and will not achieve a verdigris patina. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• cpartist
    8 years ago

So are we supposed to guess at what the roof looks like based on your description?

• just_janni
    8 years ago

What cpartist is saying (LOL) is that we're a visual people and pictures capture our attention and start our creative juices!

• turtlehollow
    8 years ago

I think the style of your house will also will make a difference in which paint colors you choose. In general, it seems that lighter colors may be the most complementary with this color roof.

What style is your house?

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Agree with turtle. What does the house look like? Is it a Colonial? A MCM? A Craftsman? Victorian?

• bluesanne
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would not rely on computer color representation to make your decision or to get others' opinions, as every monitor shows color differently. I have my monitor calibrated for professional graphic design work, and yet their copper penny color sample looks dingy pink. Copper has many color overtones, highlights and shadows and varies so much according to daylight vs. indoor light, time of day and surrounding colors. For starters, see if you can get an actual sample. Second look at photos of copper, both interior and exterior (Houzz is a good place). (These, too, are not exact replicas of actual color -- you're looking for general ideas.) Once you've narrowed your colors down a bit, get some large color swatches and see what looks good in your light and with the surrounding environment. For example, mossy green is usually a good companion with copper, but if you are surrounded by greenery, this may not be the best shade. Are you out in the sun or shaded by a grove of trees? In addition to house style, consider your context. A metal roof often suggests a country setting, but is that true or are you on a city lot or in a development with houses close by? When you have it narrowed down your choices, post a photo of your copper and large paint swatches here to get opinions. (Note: the colors will still look different from reality, but hopefully they will be altered to a similar degree.) When you have three contenders, paint large areas on several sides of your house, preferably at the corner where you can see surrounding trees and neighbor houses.

• Mrs. GLee
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. The house is actually very similar to the one posted by turtlehollow with the exception of the dormers.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Abkhazia gave you excellent advice. You can't pick color just by looking online. Even the time of day and time of year will change the color