Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug9a

Which Persil?

Reading through all the posts here and am confused on what to buy. I see Persil in stores around me, but looks like the German ones (through Amazon) are better? For the past few years I've been using different brands of "green" stuff that does a very poor IMO, and now looking for stuff that actually works. This forum is great and picking up a lot of tips, but now have a house full of dingy clothes, especially the whites, and wondering where to start!

Comments (42)

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Hi, some have good results with US Persil some don't..I do...but I also have outstanding results with Tide with Bleach powder. ..IMO its tops for whites. have you tried or considered this? Back to Persil the US Persil Pearls is the Persil for whites. Some people have reported foul odors after using it, but others have no problem. For me I enjoy it and it does a fine job however if I could only choose one for my whites it would be Tide with Bleach powder.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I looked for tide with bleach, after reading about it on this forum, but don't see it anywhere including amazon....

I need th he version...

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I think they do make a he now but impossiable to find.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked mamapinky0
  • mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Another thing you can do is order pure sodium percarbonate and use it with a non whitening detergent in a long hot wash.

I do personally recommend US Persil pearls for whites since you can't find the he tide..

• sandy1616
    8 years ago

The German Persil Universal powder is amazing for whites and has saved many white T shirts. Colors are a little easier. The US Persil Sensitive works well but not as well as the universal powder IMO. I can't stand the scent of the blue US Persil so it wouldn't matter if it cleaned well or not. Tide I have too many rinsing and scent issues but the powders do well. The main thing is one detergent for whites, one for colors. One size doesn't fit all.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked sandy1616
  • sparky823
    8 years ago

Tide with Bleach powder HE is at my Wal Mart. Have you checked yours? I know that can vary by area.

Original Author
    8 years ago

I dont go to walmart much, but I will check it out, thanks! Seems like I have come a full circle, used to use tide 15 yrs ago...

• dadoes
    8 years ago

"Green" detergents are typically OK for freshening not-so-much-dirty laundry but lack the enzymes and cleaning agents found in non-green products.

My WM usually has Tide HE/Bleach powder but it's sometimes out-of-stock.

Persil Perls works nicely for me.

Took a while to find a jug of the 2-in-1 Complete liquid at a WM elsewhere (and had to get a larger size). I'm finding it's very good, although the scent tends toward overwhelming. Surprising how small a dose is needed when paired with STPP, 2 tablespoons is sufficient for an average load in an HE toploader or frontloader ... 1 tablespoon or a scant bit more for small/light loads.

Era and Wisk liquid are also good, IME.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked dadoes
  • sspeer9
    8 years ago

The Persils in the stores here are roughly equivalent to the 'Universal' Euro Persils. If you're looking for a whites detergent, those and Tide with Bleach Alternative or 'Vivid' are a best bets

For the most part, the 'green' detergents leave out the brighteners (Method is the only exception that I can think of) that most 'commercial' brands use (powdered Cheer is the exception) that benefit whites and lights

Green detergents are hit and miss and results seem to very more per water type. In my experience, the best bets for whites and green detergents are Ecover zero powder and BioKleen Premium Plus, which use sodium percarbonate.

• miami mami
    8 years ago

If you can afford Persil universal powder ( I can't on a regular basis because it's imported and expensive) then I highly recommend it. I love it! The pro caps are favored around here too, which I just got around to buying. Just pulled a big load of colored towels out of the dryer and they have a perfect amount of scent from the pro caps. Nice and fresh and did a great job on cleaning!

• anoop
    8 years ago

Rekha A, What type of machine do you have?

• Jody
    8 years ago

I love Persil. If it wasn't so high I would buy it all the time. I keep it around for the really hard laundry problems, like when my husband spilled motor oil all over his jeans yesterday. Persil got it all out.

Original Author
    8 years ago

I have LG front loader, the Persil universal seems way too expensive...

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Mami, you will have to do a load of actual soiled laundry with the Pro Caps...there's no doubt in my mind the members here have a closet full of beautifully clean towels...so drying once after a shower isn't going to produce heavy or moderate soils..in other words not a good test on your lovely towels Mami...LOL.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

I would at least try the U Persil Mega Perls. It should be fine and it's affordable. I've used the powder and prefer the perls.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Roc, do you know which oxygen bleach US Pearls uses?

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

Nope. But here's the ingredient list. You may be able to i.d.

PRODUCT INGREDIENTS:
    SODIUM ALUMINUM SILICATE, SODIUM CARBONATE PEROXOHYDRATE, ALKYLBENZENE
    SULFONATE, TETRAACETYLETHYLENEDIAMINE, SODIUM CARBONATE, FATTY ALCOHOL
    SULFATE, ALCHOL ETHOXYLATE, SODIUM POLYCARBOXYLATE, SODIUM
    POLYACRYLATE, SODIUM CITRATE, PROPYLENE TEREPHTALATE POLYESTER,
    CARBOXYMETHYL CELLULOSE, SODIUM SULFATE, PROTEASE, POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL,
    SODIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM SOAP, POLYDIMETHYLSILOXANE, STILBENE DISULFONIC
    ACID, DISODIUM DISTYRYL BIPHENYL DISULFONATE, AMYLASE, CELLULASE,
    LIPASE, MANNANASE, FRAGRANCE, BENZYL SALICYLATE, CITRONELLOL,
    HEXYLCINNAMALDEHYDE, LINALOOL

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Oh, thank you Roc...its the SODIUM CARBONATE PEROXOHYDRATE...its sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

And the tetraacetylethylenediam...is the bleach activator.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Is this good news @mp?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Its not bad news, I just couldn't remember which bleaching system Persil used..I must be going senile. Ha

• enduring
    8 years ago

I like the Persil powder that is the US version found in the stores now. I really like the scent. I use the powder in my Miele front loader. I use about 2 or 2.5TB of the powder. I add STPP to each load about 2TB. I almost always use the prewash cycle, warm to sanitize water temps, and an extra rinse. The scent is fairly light when the clothes come out of the dryer.

I am not so crazy about the liquid Persil scent though, in the 2 in 1 version. Its very strong. I haven't used any of the other Persil liquids. I use the 2 in 1 liquid on my DH farm clothes. These meet Mamapinky's definition of dirty clothes ;) I wash DH farm clothes in an old Maytag top loader. Use hot water at about 130f. I let it soak for several hours, then run the load. I usually put in about 1/4 cup of STPP in the load too. Sometimes I run the load again without detergent to get things really rinsed. Or I add a small amount of detergent on the second go through.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Made a trip to Walmart, found the tide with bleach....running a load right now and fingers crossed!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Rekha...be sure to use nice hot water with that Tide/bleach....if your ever lucky enough to find Tide Vivid powder which is Tide with Bleach powder but it has the glorious old discontinued scent...you'd love it.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Enduring, I also love US Persil Pearls and I love the scent, I wish it had a matching FS lol.

• miami mami
    8 years ago

MamaP you are so right about the towels! But don't worry I have 3 huge loads of dirty kids clothes to tackle tomm morning-those will put my new pro caps to the test !

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Mami, I would advise 2 pro caps in a full fill TL, I should say I have to use 2. But that's better than some pods that require 3 in my tub of water. Pods are not cost effective for me, but they are nice to play with once in awhile. Lol

Original Author
    8 years ago

I felt like the tide did a much better job, I did put in some oxy clean, but the tide +oxy clean was better than the previous detergent + oxy clean. Much whiter, some set in stains were there and still there, but did not expect them to come off, so I guess walmart trip was worth it!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

There's no need to add oxiclean to the Tide with Bleach powder as it already has the sodium percarbonate, plus both products contain sodium carbonate (washing soda) actually the oxiclean contains 50% or more washing soda, so by adding both products containing it ..it could cause rinsing issues as this stuff can be a pain to rinse out when heavy doses are used.

Original Author
    8 years ago

mamapinky, that is good to know...I did do 2 additional rinses. But how can I tell if there is detergent residue? Many people here talk about it, but I dont know how to check...

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Generally the fabrics may feet stiff or rough. Thats a good indication.

By the way the more you use Tide with Bleach powder thewhiter youll notice your clothes getting.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, thanks! Yes, my sheets felt very stiff. I love white, white sheets, towels etc, and was ready to give up since everything looked so dingy after a while. Thanks to all your help, white is back in the house!!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Oxiclean does have a place though in the laundry room. For instance since liquid detergent does not have any washing soda in it, the oxiclean could be used with liquids without worry of too much being left in fabrics. Also some people like oxiclean used in the prewash. I think our Roc gets great results using it in a prewash.

I also prefer white bedding and white towels. I like to believe mine are screaming white and without the use of chlorine bleach, that's something I only use rarely and than its for disinfecting during illness, not for whitening. That being said though chlorine is still the best whitener on the block, however it needs to be used properly or textiles will suffer.

Anyway glad your having good luck with the Tide with Bleach powder.

• anoop
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Which Persil? :)

http://www.smallflower.com/search/persil

(Saw a few of these in the magazine they sent, and so I went to their site and found this.)

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

What a great site -- thanks anoop.

I like the Persil Megaperls. The 48 dose box lasts me for about a year if not longer and will for you too. These are super for whites and can be used on light colored cottons as well.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I did a load of white sheets yesterday..2 twin sets. Tim had sat on his bed with a slice of pizza and dropped it the night before, greasy red sauce, which IMO is the hardest to remove stain. I ended up not washing this for 24 hours, So, I did a cool prewash using 3 Tbl of Sears powder detergent, stain was lighter, but still there, than I did a hot, 138F wash and used only Persil Universal Powder (Thank You Alex). I did not use any boosters and no stpp, i wanted to test the merit of this stuff. I did pause the machine for about 30 minutes for a soak, saucey stain was gone, every trace, gone. I am a huge fan of Tide with Bleach powder, but this Persil Universal, worked amazingly well. I have a load of white kids socks that are pretty grungy, we've been having some great weather, close to 80degF..so the boys have been running in and out onto the patio, and out onto the rock garden, which = heavily, ground in soils. I plan to tackle this load today when my son drops off his load if socks (2 weeks worth)..and I'll use the Persil Universal Powder. If it cleans ground in soil from white socks after it removed greasy red sauce, than I will HIGHLY recommend this stuff.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I Will add...Roc sent me Euro Persil Perls awhile back and my results with these were also excellent. Thank You Roc.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

I like both the perls and the powder, as you know. They give me super white when I need it. I bought the powder once by mistake so I used it for more than a year. My only comment is that I prefer the perls to the powder which I find irritating when I breathe. Ditto for the Miele powder Larsi so kindly sent. It did a great job. But powders and I don't play nicely together -- that goes for dishwasher powder as well.

Even when Vaska tabs crumble they can be irritating but they are more like the perls than powder. But the Vaska doesn't do squat for whites. I threw a couple of my white dish towels into a Vaska load which was mainly the ecru linen. They came out gray and stained -- when rewashed with the perls they came out white and wonderfully clean.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Roc, what cause these towels to come out grey and stained after washing in Vaska?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Unless you picked these towels up at a thrift or estate sale...I can't imagine any of your towels even going in the washer grey let alone comming out that way.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

It's a good white cotton waffle weave towel. Have a bunch of them for years. They are all purpose kitchen towels though mostly I dry stuff with the microfiber. They get stains from stuff like a carbon steel knife blade, or a drip of coffee. DH doesn't see well so he can grab one for most anything. Think the one I just washed he used to mop up a Paul Newman's ice tea spill. He likes to fill his own jug with that but gets the spout off center sometimes. I have stainless counters so no big deal. That towel was hanging around till I got a towel load together. I had a few of the metis and threw it in with those. I used Vaska for the metis because those are old textiles, not stained and they have red monograms. So no enzymes or oxygen bleach.

But the plain white towel came out of that load gray. It wasn't gray going in. So I just held it back for another load, used Persil perls and game over.