Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshineandpinot

Would love to jazz up my entry way!

Lauren0319
8 years ago

We're embarking on a big reno this summer (kitchen gut, paint, floors) but the entry way isn't changing and I've wanted to change it up for some time. These two walls flank our dining room and this is the view when you step through my front door. I really want to take down the family/wedding pics and put something more interesting and maybe colorful it their place. The walls are 38" wide. Suggestions?

The second picture shows what is directly to the right when you come through the door. And this picture shows what is to the left. Not sure if I can do mirrors bc I already have a large mirror over the fireplace.

I'm open to suggestions!!! Thank you!

Comments (14)

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

She said she wants to replace the pictures with something more interesting.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Of course you're right. Excuse my attention deficit.

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks! My main priority is to hang something interesting on the two symmetrical walls that flank the dining room. (see the first picture) They are 38" wide. I just really have no clue what to put on either side. A table will not work bc it is also a main walkway. Art? Mirrors? Do I have to put the same thing on either side or can I mix it up?

I would like to jazz up and even possibly replace the little entry way table I have. Probably with something larger.....

I am not against redoing the wall of family photos going up the stairs. They will all be coming down this summer when we paint. I am very open to suggestions. I guess I'm just stuck; it's a lot of wall space and I have no clue what should go there!

I'm potentially hosting a party at my house the end of April and I would really like to have this finished by then! Thanks for any advice you can give!

This is the color scheme for my living room

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/250301691766183197/

• DYH
    8 years ago

I realize Ballard Designs' blog is about trying to get people to make a purchase, but they have a good gallery of ideas.

Entry Ways decor gallery.

Lauren0319 thanked DYH
  • Lauren0319
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Would two coordinating prints on either side look good? These are 30x30. z gallery blue prints

8 years ago

Coordinating may be a little too predictable. I wouldn't use prints at all if you can get original art work. Places like overstock, e-bay and amazon have them for very reasonable prices. I would still suggest a nice mirror on one side and artwork on the other, since it would also be great to have a gallery of art work going up the stairs. A mirror would break up the sameness of art work everywhere.

Lauren0319 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Lauren0319
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Ingrid! I am liking your ideas. Maybe a mirror on the left and some neat prints on the right.

The wall going up the stairs baffles me. It's a beast! I realize I don't have to decorate the entire thing.....

8 years ago

You could do something really different there like an oversized, vividly colored oil painting without a frame, even gicle which is cheaper but looks pretty authentic, without a frame rather than a gallery of pictures. If you keep the chest by the door you could put a smaller framed picture there with some loosely arranged greenery in a pot on the chest. It looks as though you have good light there. Something living would help this space, I think, to look more welcoming and lively.

Lauren0319 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Lauren0319
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, welcoming and lively! That is what I want :) I like the idea of an oversized painting.... I'd like to find an inspiration pic of a similar space. Off to houzz I go :)

8 years ago

I can't really see the carpet in your entry, but it looks rather neutral. Since this is a small space, you can afford to have something more colorful there, perhaps something you might want to choose after you have your wall art. It could make a really big difference to the feel of this space. You seem to like cool, neutral tones in your rooms, but that can translate into not welcoming and cozy. I don't want to change your style preferences, but perhaps you can allow yourself to step a little outside the box in this small area.

• juddgirl2
    8 years ago

I actually like your gallery wall on the stairwell, except something seems a bit off. Maybe the pictures need to be grouped together a little closer? They seem too spead out and not connected.

I like the idea of a large console table for the entry, perhaps with a tray for keys and a lamp for lighting, a large mirror or painting over the table, and a basket or 2 underneath for umbrellas or other small items you need when coming in and out.

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you tnfarmhousefixin! I agree the gallery wall looks off. If I do keep the family photos, it needs to be completely redone. And yes to bringing the pics closer together!

We do not enter/exit through the front door. Like ever. We come in and out though out garage Front door if pretty much only for visitors/guests.

Are you suggesting a table on one of the walls that flanks the dining room? I just don't think that will work bc it's a main walkway. However, I am interested in replacing the entry way table I already have. That one is just a little small. (It's "original Thomasville, lol, from my parents! Easily 40 years old:)

• juddgirl2
    8 years ago

Yes, I meant replacing the entry table with a larger one :)