Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagofchips

What is the EASIEST & FASTEST way to choose bathroom tile / counter

bagofchips
8 years ago

Maybe somebody will have a nugget of wisdom here.

Having been going through all kinds of agonizing selections in a remodel (appliances, floors, skylights, windows, front door, plumbing and electrical overhaul, engineering, kitchen everything, fireplace, interior doors) I'm getting selection fatigue. For bathrooms, I'm wondering how can i make this easier? We already have a sense of general style (toilets / fixtures / tubs / vanities picked). So really it's "just" tile, countertop and later paint. And some lighting and mirrors or medicine cabinets. Not worried about paint.

You'd think how hard can it be, but my past experience proves I can make it pretty hard (like we all can)! Note: don't confuse speed and ease w/ quality - making the right choice is of course still paramount. Maybe it's just flipping through ideabooks, but even that can overwhelm w/ so many good ideas.

Comments (10)

• YMM
    8 years ago

I like your tile selection discipline! What part of the country are you in? I would love to try out your tile store salesperson! (I'm in the Chicago north 'burbs.)

• algeasea
    8 years ago

I'm in the SF East Bay. I asked my GC for recommendations of where to go to look, then checked all the Yelp reviews for the local stores. One salesperson was praised many times so I tracked her down, even though she'd moved to another store. It was well worth it.

bagofchips thanked algeasea
  • bagofchips
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thx Algeasea - if you see this, I'm in SF (north) bay but would travel for the right person. Feel free to reply here or email me (same userid bagofchips at yahoo).

• algeasea
    8 years ago

Modello Tile in Pacheco, right off I-680. Ask for an appointment with Lea.

• bagofchips
    Original Author
    8 years ago

awesome, thx!

• mrspete
    8 years ago

My suggestion: Search the internet and pull together a dozen bathrooms that appeal to you. Ignore whether they fit your shape or size or budget. Just pick color schemes and "vibes" that appeal to you. Don't think too much. Just choose rooms that'd draw you in.

Make a page with all of them together, and search for commonalities -- you're looking for patterns, analyzing your choices:

- Are they mainly white and cream, or are you drawn to color? How bright are your color choices?

- Do you pick things with a vintage feel, something more modern, or something in between?

- Are your choices small tiles or large tiles?

- Consider posting your favorite rooms here. Other people (who aren't too close to the project) can sometimes pick out patterns that you yourself don't see.

- Finally, give your choices a function-check. Do they actually suit your space, your budget, and your cleaning time? If not, can you opt for something close to this look ... with better function?

• Fori
    8 years ago

All Natural Stone in San Jose has a pretty great tile selection (as well as stone/quartz/etc. which they have actual prices on) and if you make an appointment, they have designers that can probably set you up.

(Mrs. Pete's plan of attack pretty good and should probably be part of any sort of consultation.)

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Ditto All Natural Stone - the one in Burlingame is also great (note I didn't get any of my tile there, but their selection is fabulous. I got mine at Ceramic Tile Design on 13th and Duboce in the city - which has a wonderful selection, but I didn't use them for design).

• Oaktown
    8 years ago

Might sound hokey, but let your house pick for you. What does your house "want"? By the time we had to pick tile we were headed in a pretty clear direction. We repeated selections for cohesiveness -- same floor tile every bath, same shower floor tile, only slight variations in wall tile -- but it also meant fewer decisions.

I found All Natural Stone too overwhelming in terms of selections/distractions, but it definitely is a fun place to browse. Since we already had a good idea of what we wanted, got most everything at Daltile.

Good luck!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!