Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Non or slow rotting raised bed building material

poaky1
8 years ago

As mentioned, I would like to make some raised beds. I have the beds already, but they are ground level now. I have bad arthritis in my right knee. I can use the beds as is, but, it is literally a pain to do so. I have seen wooden planks that you stack up, and even the metal corners that you can buy, and get your own planks. What is the best, and hopefully cheapest wood or woodlike material to use to highten the beds, and not have to replace too often. I know cedar or cypress (from older trees) is good, maybe even Redwood, but, I am talking about somethink I can get at the local Big box store. I am thinking something like "trexdek" if I can get it locally. I THINK that it is a plastic coated wood. If anyone knows, is that what it is? Or, how do you guys/gals build up your beds? I have a decent idea of how to fill the beds, soil, compost some peat mixed in, some soil conditioner (wood fines) mixed in with soil. ETC. Thanks to any answers.

Comments (7)

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a raised bed garden that I made 14 years ago from cedar 2x12's. It is starting to rot and sag and I need to dowsize anyway, so I am replacing it. I have purchased corners from here

http://www.problemsolvers.com/raised-bed-corners-set-of-four.htm?aff=5512&CAWELAID=530007760000009442&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CJSykraroMsCFYwfhgodlKUDIA 

They are very strong and amazing! I had to purchase extra screws and got grey ones instead of silver. The wood I used is cedar 2x12's again and I am in the process of construction. The cost for two 2'x3' beds was $110 plus $28 for brackets plus $10 for screws and I still need more screws.

I need to make 4 more 2'x4' beds in another part of my yard. I may use these plastic ones for that. They last for 25 years. The only problem is, is that they are white, and I really am not excited about painting them tan. :)

http://www.guarden.com/guarden/index.html

So there you have my garden planning adventures for the winter. I forgot to mention, I also use a garden cart to sit on so I don't have to bend. It is great fun!

Rebecca

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, but I am going to need cheaper than that. They look nice, and the deep ones seem like they would be easy to work in.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rebecca, thanks for sharing your info. I will be building my beds up. But, I have gotten some horse/cattle feeding bunk feeders. They are 10 ft long, and about 3 ft wide. I bought 2 of them. They are about 2-3 ft off the ground. I just have to drill some more drainage holes in them and add potting soil. They are $109.99 EACH AT TRACTOR SUPPLY CO. My BFF, and her hubby were nice enough to pick them up at the store and bring then to my yard. I am thinking that I can weed them easier, and pick any veggies that are ripe alot easier than if they were on the ground. I will be using some of the inground beds next year anyway. But, for this year, I am hoping that there aren't any problems in my garden. I am hoping to grow some simple to grow fruits/veggies and flowers.

• moltroub62
    8 years ago

Have you tried looking at Craig's List or something similar for free block or brick? You might also put in an ad asking for free material. It may take awhile, but it wouldn't cost anything but gas for your vehicle. If you go with block, save your pennies and get something like this https://www.quikrete.com/productlines/quikwallsurfacebondingcement.asp. This would stop the block from wicking the moisture out of your garden beds.

• moltroub62
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Oh and my partner had gotten me one of the prefab beds at HD for a garden, the soil contact utterly destroyed the decking product in two years. Total waste of money. Make sure whatever you use is guaranteed for in soil contact. I don't think a product like trex deck is...Personally I am using old decking boards that was once around a pool that no longer exists. But one of the beds will probably be some 6 x 8" x 6' posts that the state takes up yearly. I can get them for $8.00 each. I am also thinking of cement block to be purchased at a local supplier as they are about half the price of the big box stores

• daisy_ny6
    8 years ago

I have raised beds in the garden made of Trex built in 1996, still going strong. They're not cheap except that I've never had to replace them in 20 years. These are plain raised beds, sitting directly on the ground.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sounds great. I did pay lots for the farm feed troughs, but they are likely to last a good while. The trex deck wood would be great for my inground beds, I won't use them til next year, so I can build up the beds a little at a time this year.