Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
escolat

Wonderful Hellebores

escolat
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I enjoy my hellebores. Mine will begin to bloom in December and really put on a show at the first sign of warm weather! They bloom before the crocuses and last for weeks. They really make cold weather fun! And give me something to watch in winter!

Comments (34)

• redwolfdoc_z5
    8 years ago

Wow! What zone are you in?

escolat thanked redwolfdoc_z5
  • escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

zone 6…Ohio

• redwolfdoc_z5
    8 years ago

Very nice. I'm 5b and mine have buds aplenty, but no flowers open as of yet.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    8 years ago

a pic I took yesterday...love all the babies...some babies r now blooming...

escolat thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow! All the seedlings…I always deadhead…maybe I shouldn't and maybe I'll get babies!

• posierosie_zone7a
    8 years ago

Beautiful blooms! You have a lot of seedlings there.

escolat thanked posierosie_zone7a
  • arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    8 years ago

They truly are. This is Maestro, Painted Doubles, and unsure of the one in the lower left as it was mismarked as Amber Gem. Maestro has been going nonstop since mid December.

escolat thanked arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
  • arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    8 years ago

Redwolfdoc, those all look lovely, looks like you made some good choices. I will definitely be expanding my hellebore collection this year. The whole yard might be covered in them by the end of the season.

escolat thanked arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
  • gdinieontarioz5
    8 years ago

That Green Gambler is cool!

escolat thanked gdinieontarioz5
  • KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

Love your clumps of hellebores, Arlene and escolat! Ballerina Ruffes is stunning Redwolfdoc. I love double white hellebores. Here are some of mine. None of these bloom according to their names and description. They are all mislabels but pretty nonetheless.

escolat thanked KarenPA_6b
  • redwolfdoc_z5
    8 years ago

Beautiful, Karen! I especially like that last one.

• serendipity44
    8 years ago

They are ALL so beautiful! Hellebores have become one of my very favourite flowers. The are so dainty looking but yet so hardy. Mine are just in bud and I'm hoping to expand my collection this year, however, here in Ontario I find them very expensive. I got my Red Lady last year at the end of the season and it was half dead but it still cost me $12 and that was half priced! But they are worth the splurge!

escolat thanked serendipity44
  • gdinieontarioz5
    8 years ago

Just wait for the seedlings to start coming and blooming. I can never keep all of them, but I let the most vigorous seedlings around my favourite plants grow and bloom. If they are uninteresting, they go to friends or the compost, the really good ones I try to find a spot for.

• serendipity44
    8 years ago

Gdinieontarioz5 - May I ask where you live? I'm in Milton, Ontario and if you are near by and ever have some extra hellebores you are looking for homes for, I would definitely love some!

• gdinieontarioz5
    8 years ago

I live in Hamilton. I did a big garden make-over last year, so the only hellebores I have available are small seedlings. They will probably bloom in 2018, but you are welcome to some. If you are interested you can send me PM via my profile.

• serendipity44
    8 years ago

Sorry, I feel a little foolish asking but how do I PM you? I don't see an email/message option in your profile....

• gdinieontarioz5
    8 years ago

Hmmmm, grin, nor do I. I don't see how to enable it either. My email is gdinie at hotmail dot com.

• racetowin
    8 years ago

Gosh they do well for everyone. Mine are that lovely but are in bloom in Pa.

escolat thanked racetowin
  • serendipity44
    8 years ago

Can I ask how mature the clumps above are? I've had one of mine 3 years and it only gives off a few flowers each season. I'm wondering if it's because it's still young or if I should be doing something different?

• racetowin
    8 years ago

Mine are many years old an did take a few years to get lovely.

• racetowin
    8 years ago

PS they are selling for $30. in some catalogs this spring in usa.

EEk

• escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Serendipity, yes, it takes several years for the plants to become established…my clumps are at least 5 years old. They are the toughest of plants!

• escolat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

When most plants are shutting down, my hellebores begin to form flower buds! They really make fall and winter fun!

• escolat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

An update! Mostly Ivory Prince, Pink Frost & other pink varieties.

Pink Frost…I love the unique color of the petal backs.

They love growing under my 2nd story deck and crabapple tree. Carefree color! Besides throwing a little plant food and leaf removal, I do absolutely nothing else…Every home should have 'wonderful hellebores'!

• escolat
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Another year, another great display! Happy Spring,everyone!

• KarenPA_6b
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Beautiful, Escolat! I particularly love Pink Frost. Some of mine blooming this week:

Phoebe is a favorite of mine

Wedding Bells is anoither nice one too.

Apricot Blush

Frostkiss Molly's White

Frostkiss Penny's Pink

Amber Gem

For some reason, Houzz does not allow me to post more than one pic.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    3 years ago

Wow, they really settled in and sound carefree.

Karen, please try again lol

I have one open and the rest are real close. This is 'Spanish Flare', I was thrilled to find it last spring in the leftovers section, and was hoping the label was correct!

escolat thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • KarenPA_6b
    3 years ago

That's beautiful, Katob! This is on my Wanted List! Wow, you lucked out finding it in the Leftovers Section. Which store did you find this beauty?

• jimandanne_mi
    3 years ago

Looks like Spanish Flare to me, but mine are a lot paler yellow.

Anne

escolat thanked jimandanne_mi
  • escolat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The classic Christmas rose, blooming late with the rest of the hellebores this year..My 'Jacob' cultivar did actually bloom for Christmas.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    3 years ago

I expect it to fade or go green, it's only just opened a day or two ago. Karen- I found it at a local greenhouse that usually grows on a bunch of liners each year.

escolat thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • KarenPA_6b
    3 years ago

Wow, that's a fantastic and beautiful find, Katob!

Escolat, love that the Jacob cultivar bloomed at Christmas for you. I gotta give that one a try!

• escolat
    Original Author
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Talk about a long blooming season...my pink hellebore is still attractive in my landscape in June!. It has been blooming since March, the bright pink flowers have faded to cream...the evergreen foliage is attractive too( I'm just going to clean up the yellow old leaves/spent flowers and enjoy the plant in summer) ...groundhog, rabbit and deer resistant and care free...Who could ask for anything more in a plant?

Sponsored