Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2gemini_gw

What are you using for flea and tick control

a2gemini
8 years ago

Are you using a chemical based flea and tick repellent or an essential oil based control?

What brand or oils are you using?

I picked up some external drops to use but am thinking of going a more natural route

What has worked for you?

Comments (25)

• tneddog
    8 years ago

We use generic frontline and sometimes it doesn't work for the full 30 days. We have many ticks here in Oklahoma and tick disease is rampant. I wish we could use a natural method, but am afraid to try.

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

I use Frontline and have for years. I put it on every other month from March thru December (MD). The dogs get an occasional tick but no Lymes disease as of yet and no fleas.

I tried the prescription pill that lasts for three months but that was really expensive and I have 2 dogs. I also tried another topical application the vet recommended ( I cannot remember the name) but the dogs had this super greasy spot on their back for days and it stained the side of my sofa. I never used that again either.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks- anyone using essential oil based pet repellents with success?

• User
    8 years ago

Frontline. I wouldn't take a chance on natural because our dogs share our furniture and bed and I want to feel like I'm doing all I can.

I haven't tried the generic form.

• AnnKH
    8 years ago

We've always used Frontline; I was at the vet last week with my dog, and switched to Nexgard. It's oral; I was never keen on the Frontline application.

I had a dog with Lyme Disease, so tick control is something I take pretty seriously.

• User
    8 years ago

I'll ask our vet about Nexgard. I also hate the Frontline application.

• socks
    8 years ago

Here's a site you might find helpful, Natural Resources Defense Council. There is a link to their Green Paws listing and evaluation of some products. Also look for the link to other things you can do to combat fleas.

No one wants to put these chemicals on beloved pets, but they improve quality of life for the pet and people as well. I think it's wise to go with the ones which have been around the longest. Our pets aren't guinea pigs, right? I finally went with Comfortis, but it does not affect ticks (not a problem here).

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/npets.asp

• Ellie RK
    8 years ago

Bravecto. Works for three months. Mine have been on it for a year now and it's the best product I've ever tried.

• Ellie RK
    8 years ago

Ticks need to feed for days (36-48 hours) before they can transmit a disease. Bravecto kills in under 12 hours.

• Ellie RK
    8 years ago

I don't believe you're reading the study correctly;

Same Study:

Abstract

The present study compares the efficacy of two recent oral ectoparasiticides containing isoxazolines (NexGard®, containing afoxolaner and administered at a monthly regimen, and Bravecto™ containing fluralaner and administered at a tri-monthly regimen) againstRhipicephalus sanguineus sensu lato and Dermacentor reticulatus ticks on dogs.

24 dogs were randomly allocated to untreated control, NexGard® treated, and Bravecto™ treated groups. The treatments were administered on Days 0, 28 and 56 for afoxolaner and on Day 0 for fluralaner. Tick infestations were performed weekly with 50 unfed adult ticks per each species on each dog from Days 30 to 84 (with the exception ofR. sanguineus on Day 63). Ticks were counted at 24 h post-infestation.

The dogs from both treated groups had statistically significantly (p < 0.05) less R. sanguineus and D. reticulatus ticks compared to the untreated dogs on all assessment days. Percent efficacy against R. sanguineus ranged from 86.4% to 99.5% at 24 h post-infestation for NexGard® and from 65.7% to 100% for Bravecto™. Statistically significantly (p < 0.05) less R. sanguineus ticks were recorded for NexGard® treated dogs compared to Bravecto™ treated dogs on Day 78. Percent efficacy against D. reticulatus ranged from 85.2% to 99.6% at 24 h post-infestation for NexGard® and from 63.4% to 99.1% for Bravecto™. Statistically significantly (p < 0.05) less D. reticulatusticks were recorded for NexGard® treated dogs compared to Bravecto™ treated dogs on Days 71, 78 and 85.

So they're saying that Nexgard works better if administered monthly when compared to the Bravecto at 3 months. Also, they only studied 24 dogs. That's hardly a true study.

The original study shows that at the 12th week, there's a 90% reduction in ticks by the 48th hour. That does not mean it takes 48 hours for the ticks to die.

Other legitimate sources:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/animalveterinary/products/approvedanimaldrugproducts/foiadrugsummaries/ucm399075.pdf

The one below says it kills within 12 hours for the duration of the treatment (12 weeks.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4488133/

And a summary from European Medicines Agency

http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Summary_for_the_public/veterinary/002526/WC500163861.pdf

BUT, I would really advice those looking for a new tick/flea treatment to discuss what's best for their pet with their vets.

• Ellie RK
    8 years ago

Oh, and I'm not trying to argue with you. But I'm one of those people that researches every.single.thing before giving it to her dogs. From food to medication.

I wouldn't give them an oral if it was worse than a topical (which by the way does not reduce tick born illness in dogs 100% either.)

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks for the input. We head to the vet tomorrow or Thursday for a Lepto vaccine, so we can discuss further options. The Picard family seems to be split on what is best in our area. I also try to study what is best but utilize what is working in the field.

• dekeoboe
    8 years ago

We use either Frontline or the Seresto collar. I do not want to use the Bravecto or NexGard as they are systemic products and one of my dogs is already on medication for her other issues.

• Ellie RK
    8 years ago

@nannygoat18 nexgard is a great product. I would use it if I wasn't using Bravecto (just easier for me to give it every 3 months)

• Suzieque
    8 years ago

Ticks are rampant right now in Massachusetts! We use Nexgard and are still getting occasional ticks. I've even found 4 of them crawling around in the house. Apparently they're coming in on the dog and then falling or jumping off because of the Nexgard. I wish something would keep them from getting on her at all, which I understand is pretty impossible. I'll just try to brush anything off her before we come back in the house.

• Ninapearl
    8 years ago

yup, i'll put this here so nobody misses it...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3776211/warning-about-seresto-flea-tick-collars?n=5

this was downright scary!!! both of my female danes had what i consider to be severe reaction to the seresto collars. the symptoms lasted almost 3 full days. a lot of air licking, discomfort, lethargy. all of these things being symptoms of bloat, i was on edge until they were back to normal.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone. I am trying flea flicker. It uses natural oils. The downside is you have to apply it weekly. The Flea Flicker was recommended by a dog friend in NH. I have back -up drops from the vet if this fails

I also bought a sticky roller and use it on our puppy. I bought one for us last year after my DH had a tick and bought a better one this year.

Nina - thanks for posting the warning. It is one reason that I didn't want to go with a pesticide approach.

• Mackayla Johnson
    5 years ago

I try not to use a chemical treatment to remove fleas from my dog. But sometimes it's necessary. There is a lot of tips for flea treatment in this post, so you can find an appropriate solution there. It really helped me out once.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Vectra3D on my older girl. Csnt use anything on the baby yet as vet says she needs to be at leadt 5 pounds before she can use anything..problem Is she may never reach 5 pounds.

• Richard Brennan
    5 years ago

I think it is important to understand that no medication prevents ticks from getting on your dog and biting. They only start working at that point.

A flea & tick bath or dip can come close to that, though. That could very well encourage a tick to leave your dog before it bites. But of course their effectiveness wears off in a matter of days. Still, if you find a lot of ticks on your dog (I once found about 20 crawling around after coming back from a walk) the shampoo or dip is the fastest and most effective solution. It kills immediately on contact.

So, that leaves you with the situation that when using medications the tick will bite, and then within about a day either die or let go - probably the latter. So now you have a live tick leaving your dog, probably in the house, and looking for another host.

This is something to think about especially if you let your dog sleep in your bed.

This means that dealing with ticks is not a one step process. The tick medication is only the first step. But you also might want to consider having your yard sprayed - not just to prevent ticks from moving in, but to take care of freeloaders that came in on your dog and then hopped off when the going got rough. Also, use a tick spray on the dog bedding or favorite chair or anyplace else in the house they could disembark.

• Paul Wegman
    5 years ago

I use to put frontline plus on my dog but now its ineffective so we use Bravecto. Work like a champ.

• SaltiDawg
    5 years ago

Ineffective? lol

• SaltiDawg
    5 years ago

The above plagiarized from:

Plagiarized Source

• davidpetlover
    5 years ago

I have 2 dogs at my place. I wouldn't take risk to use Natural so yeah I use Bravecto and nextgard for my pooch and I would like to suggest these both for the same. These both are monthly oral treatments. Nexgard comes with real beef flavor. As per FDA safety tips these both products are safe except the dogs that has seizures. So if your dog suffer from Seizures then please dont use these products. It may Causes some side effects. additionally you can use some Flea and ticks sprays as well.