Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjmpcook

Kitchen layout help please - new kitchen

jjmpcook
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My kitchen is going to be on one end of an addition that will have a family room at the other end. Dining room in between.

We often cook together as a family so a multi-cook layout is important. I love the idea of the my 48"cooktop with vent on the main wall, at the end of the building; refrigerator, oven/micro and pantry on the wall to the left; sink and dishwasher on the right wall. Prep sink in the center island - on the refrigerator side. This way I feel like there is a prep area, cook area and a dish washing area.

I know a lot of people are probably going to ask why I don't put the sink under a window. If I did that I feel like the dish washing area would be smack dab in the middle of the prep and cooking areas.

The window above the sink is a faux window. The other side of that wall is the foyer.

Open shelving above some of the base cabinets. I REALLY wanted all open shelving but lost my giant pantry closet so I added in all the uppers and tall cabinets.

Idea for foyer with faux window or real window above sink. Weird?

Overhead Layout with measurements - (sink is in the wrong spot).

Any thoughts? I have been thinking about this layout for so long so please don't slam me too hard. Lol.

Comments (17)

• Buehl
    8 years ago

Welcome! My first thought is that the island is too small for a prep sink.

Do you have an overhead layout with measurements?

jjmpcook thanked Buehl
  • jjmpcook
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh yeah. I'll add that. Also is the link to my ideabook working?

• jjmpcook
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Until I post the overhead, the island is a 5' square

• jjmpcook
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Light Farm-Kitchen · More Info

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Can't get my ideabook link to work. These are a couple of my inspiration photos.

• Buehl
    8 years ago

FYI...it's the weekend and the Forum is very slow, especially when the weather starts warming up (at least in some places - where I live we had snow today - and we're not a snow belt area!)

Would it be possible to post a better layout of the space, with measurements of the widths of each window/wall/door/doorway & the distances b/w each window/wall/door/doorway? Something like this:

I assume the windows can go anywhere - or is the addition already finalized and/or built regarding the exterior?

It would also be very helpful if you posted a sketch of the layout of the entire first floor (or whatever floor the kitchen is on) - it doesn't need to have detailed measurements like we need for the kitchen space. It helps us see how the kitchen relates to the rest of the house and how traffic will move in and around the kitchen.

• sena01
    8 years ago

If you can still vent your cooktop on the long counter here's a quick idea.

• Buehl
    8 years ago

You say you cook as a family, how many family members? Ages (approximate)? Are multiple people preparing a meal or is one person preparing while another cleans up?

There are other questions that it might be helpful to know the answers to - they're contained in the following FAQ:

FAQ: How do I ask for Layout Help and what information should I include?

These might also help...

Kitchen Design FAQ threads:

Kitchen work zones, what are they?

Aisle widths, walkways, seating overhangs, work and landing space, and others

How do I plan for storage? Types of Storage? What to Store Where?

Ice. Water. Stone. Fire (Looking for layout help? Memorize this first)

• Buehl
    8 years ago

I like Sena's plan. In fact, I was working up a similar plan!

Does that wall in front/above the front door have to be that deep/long?

• Buehl
    8 years ago

I have to ask - do you really need a 48" cooktop? That means you need a 54" wide hood (6" wider than the cooking surface/appliance). 36" cooktops are pretty big and allow 4 or 5 pots/pans at a time with room to spare - do you need more than that?

Or, are you planning to include a grill in your cooktop? If so, be aware that your venting must be very, very good!

• jjmpcook
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you! Wow! I had no idea someone would help me this much. I need to take my time a new read through what you've offered and the links you've provided. Really love the pantry & utility.

An important point I didn't include but should have: the long open counter on the refrigerator side of the kitchen is a beverage center. We have an espresso machine we use daily and all the things that accompany it. There is another walk I might be able to love it to though, around the corner in a breakfast nook.

The only thing I've insisted on is the 48" cooktop. I use a panini press/grill almost daily. I cook all the time. lots of food and many pans and a wok. I have a huge vent for it.

I have a husband three kids. Two are helping age. Usually there's two of us cooking and one doing some cleanup (emptying and loading the dishwasher etc.)

I will work I getting you better dimensions and a layout of the rest of the house.

Again. Thank you!
  • rebunky
    8 years ago

Buehl and Sena are on it. But I would love to see how this turns out!

jjmpcook thanked rebunky
  • jjmpcook
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hope you can enlarge to see some more of the surrounding area for flow purposes.

The reason the living room is at the back of the house and the kitchen is at the front is because we wanted our living room to look out on our backyard. The office/activity room is the "breakfast nook" I referred to that we could put the beverage center at. It's a very multi-purpose room.

• Buehl
    8 years ago

I was wondering if the wall would be clear enough to recess the refrigerator into and it appears it is where it needs to be. It would not bump into your Master BR, it would stay within the footprint of the existing wall and should fit b/w the MBR/Office wall and the gas stove in your MBR.

I understand about the room locations - I'd probably do the same!

• smm5525
    8 years ago

This forum is AMAZING!!!!!!!

jjmpcook thanked smm5525
  • jjmpcook
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks @buehl. You have given me so much to think and about and to work with. I actually have a counter depth fridge so I don't need to recess it. I agree with @smm5522!!

• Buehl
    8 years ago

If you have a counter-depth refrigerator, then you can actually add another foot or so b/w the cooktop and corner -or- b/w the cooktop and oven cabinet. If it were me, I would probably add it b/w the cooktop & oven cabinet to add some space in that area.