Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocora

Main bedroom wardrobe - Too imposing?

Coco
8 years ago

Hi all!

I been squeezing my brain trying to find a way to fit some good storage in my bedroom.

I have a platform bed (1.6 wide x 2.1 long) and nothing else at the moment.

Here's the sketch and capture (roomsketcher) of the space and the bed and how would it look if I add an Ikea Pax wardrobe (the most convenient option, given that is 100% configurable internally):

I have 3.3 metres high ceilings (old victorian flat).

For what I can see, the wardrobe would look too imposing and it would make my bedroom look tiny and cluttered.

I really need a good storage solution, but everything I try to put in that space it looks too big!
Any brilliant idea about how to solve this?

Note: I'd love to mix some vintage furniture with modern too! Totally open to suggestion., Go crazy!!

Many thanks in advance to all. Have a nice day! :D

Comments (15)

• Jonathan
    8 years ago
    Try moving the bed opposite the window then having two smaller banks of wardrobe, one on each side of the room
  • Coco
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Jonathan! Thanks for your suggestion. When I brought this flat, that was the way the bed was, and I don't like it... Mostly because I like to snug at bed to see a movie or tv and the TV would be blocking the beautiful window!
    And if I move the bed to that wall, the space becomes more tight, because that wall is 3 metres, 0.30 cm. less than the other where I currently have the bed. :(

• PRO
    Cariad Home Styling
    8 years ago
    Hi , how about the robes at the foot end of the bed as you have more floor space?
    You could also hide a tv inside.
    Chest of drawers in place of the robes and that would allow for bedside tables?
    Coco thanked Cariad Home Styling
  • PRO
    All Cabinets Ltd
    8 years ago

Hi there, have you thought about having some bespoke furniture installed?

I think it would be great to make use of your wonderfully high ceilings so you can reduce the width of the wardrobe so it would not be so imposing. Or you could have some different wardrobe depths for shelving (narrower depth) and hanging space (full depth) so it doesn't come out so far.

Have you had any more thoughts?

Franki @ All Cabinets

Coco thanked All Cabinets Ltd
  • Lauren
    8 years ago

I'd stick with your placement for the wardrobe's but plump for built in's if at all possible. This way you could go with a slightly slimmer style that doesn't protrude as much and also have built in cupboards higher up for extra storage. It would be silly not to go higher when you have such a great ceiling height. I also think standard height wardrobes in a tall period property will look really out of proportion.

In terms of style I would suggest simple white victorian ones (pic 1) since they'll look like they've always been there (or paint in a moody grey or indigo for a contemporary twist like pic 2)

Alternatively a mirrored finish (pic 3,4+5) would work as they're opposite a window and will bounce back a lot of light.

For layout if you're worried about it being too imposing you could consider breaking up the bank of solid wardrobes with either an antique large chest of draws (pic 6) or a vanity table. Another route would be to incorporate some open storage along with the closed off bits so it feels more open and spacious (pic 7)

• PRO
    Feioi
    8 years ago

Hi Cocora

I think you need to think about the room as a whole and not just the wardrobe. You haven't mentioned any other furniture but I assume you will need a pair of bedside tables at the very least. In the current layout, one bedside table will partially block the wardrobe and the other will block what looks like a door.

Have you considered moving your bed to the opposite wall? You would have enough space for bedside tables, the TV would go on the opposite wall (where the bed currently is) and the wardrobe could stay where you have put it on your plan.

The wardrobe appears imposing as it is so large and it's such a dramatic change. If you keep the doors clean and simple it will be fine once you are used to it. The PAX is a great option for budget and versatility. Alternatively, have a bespoke unit made as suggested above, or even just the carcass and use adjustable internal rails, drawers and shelves to configure it however you want. Then you can get some vintage pieces like bedside tables, a chest of drawers for the TV to sit on and maybe an ottoman for the end of the bed.

If you'd like any more advice, please feel free to get in touch.

Jennifer

• Coco
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi All!

Many thanks for your help.

Cariad Home Styling it was my first thought, but the bedroom door leand to a very nice hall, and from the hall you would only see the wardrobe side, which would look quite ugly. I suppose I could add a piece of victorian furniture in that end (something small and lovely).. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

whirlligig the problem with this idea is that I have a beautiful cornice work, and floor to ceiling wardrobe will hide this feature! I cannot copy this cornice and add it to the wardrobe in the ceiling end, because they are not conventional... :(

Feioi yes you are right.
    At the moment I just have the bed, but I'd like to add some french touches and if possible, put something like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5OaeCWyWWM0/Uydsfjk4a_I/AAAAAAAAPVM/rJQRtfAIeG4/s1600/ASCP+french+linen+drawers+Lilyfield+Life-001.JPG

in front of the bed and the TV on top of it. It's hard to mix contemporary styles and traditional ones. Very tricky!

I could take a look and see how it looks with the bed opposite to the current wall, But I'm not sure it will be ok given that the door leading to the bedroom goes directly to the entrance hal...

All Cabinets Ltd i Don't really know what the options would be in regards with bespoke furniture. Do you have something I could use as guide? Cheers!

• Lauren
    8 years ago

Hi Cocora, I totally understand wanting to preserve the original cornicing. That said its not unusual to have a taller than average wardrobe built that's still short enough to show off the cornice.

Coco thanked Lauren
  • Coco
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Lauren! The 3rd pic could be ok, the other two are too tall and create that dark tiny space above which i really dislike...
    The problem is that in the 3rd picture it looks good because the wardrobe is tucked in that space and is following the white line. I don't have that option at home, sadly... :(

• Coco
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So following a great idea from Feioi, I've changed the bed to the opposite wall and it made a HUGE difference!
    Now I need to decide what to do in regards with the furniture:

option a - going for a french hanging wardrobe in a corner and two chests of drawers.
    option b- buying a big Ikea wardrobe with mirrored doors to create a light space and try to mix that with a french chest of drawers in front of the bed. I'm not sure about that, because it would look like too modern with that poor isolated french stuff there... Any ideas?

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi. If bespoke are out of budget you could consider painting the ceiling down to the picture rail in a darker shade than the walls. My ceilings are roughly the same height as yours and I agree taller wardrobes are needed! It should also make the room feel a little bigger. Does the wardrobe come in a corner configuration so you could have the bed on the Lhs with the wardrobe on the wall where it is but pushed round the corner. Have you also tried floating the bed in front of the window? If possible keep the wardrobe in the wall colour

Coco thanked minnie101
  • Coco
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Minnie, thanks for answering. :)

My idea is to leave the ceiling white and beautifully tall, along with the cornice decoration. And the walls will be gray. The problem with bespoke wardrobes, is that I don't see any advantages on those against ikea. The only thing that would look better are the doors, and I'm pretty sure I can get away using Ikea frame and buy bespoke doors.
    But the dilemma atm is not between bespoke vs ikea, but go french vs a very-square and boring (and too big) wardrobe...

Do you have pics of your place to see how it looks? It would be great to see how you made it! :)

• jane_walmsley
    8 years ago

What room does it adjoin too? If it`s a bedroom could you take space from it and share the same built in along that wall?

Coco thanked jane_walmsley
  • Coco
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi jane_walmsley, the adjoining room is the kitchen, so no luck there, I'm afraid. :(

Hi posh kitchens, turning the bed to the other side leaves space in front of the wardrobe. I'm even considering a mix between standard depth wardrobe and 350mm deep closer to the bed. That might work.. What do you think?