Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daknits

Has anyone used a commerical grade engineered wood floor?

R S
8 years ago

My contractor just suggested I look at a commercial grade engineered floor for durability -- my 5 year old boy is very hard on things, and we have two dogs. Thus far, I have only been looking at residential engineered flooring (I live in S. Florida and we are installing on a cement subfloor). Has anyone used commercial grade flooring, and if so, what manufacturer, and do you recommend it? Any pictures to share? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• R S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I meant to write commercial finish (like a floor with an impregnated acrylic finish), not commercial grade flooring. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    8 years ago

Have you just considered finishing high quality Engineered floors on site with a finish like Bona Traffic HD?

R S thanked Oak & Broad
  • PRO
    Albany Woodworks Inc
    8 years ago

We have a reclaimed, environmentally friendly engineered flooring line that combines the perfect rustic look with the durability of an engineered floor. It is low VOC with high quality plywood backing and looks great in applications from floors to walls. http://www.houzz.com/projects/1355492/new-flooring-collections All flooring collections pictured come in engineered.

We have a sales rep in South Florida that could speak with you as well.

• PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm not familiar with anything considered a "commercial grade" finish on a hardwood floor. Most, if not all of the mass produced flooring is produced with a U. V. (ultra violet) cured finish in an aluminum oxide finish (or similar).

We, however, have retired our U. V. system in exchange for a system which allows us to vary finishes in a infra red/heat curing system.

This permits us to use a variety of finish types... the most popular (and durable) of which is our proprietary Aluminum Oxide Poly Finish... which is available in a wide variety of sheen levels, and has proven to be quite durable as well as "user friendly". This approach also allows application of additional coats AFTER installation, if desired, as well as re-coats in several years as a maintenance procedure. This is an option that is typically NOT achieved easily in the U. V. finishes, mass production products.

Best of luck

• R S
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Select Hardwood, I was looking at this ...

https://nydreeflooring.com

Floors that are 3 x more durable ....

• PRO
    8 years ago

Apparently, the company you reference has revived the old system once produced by others. Permagrain, Hartco, & GammaPar being only 3 of them.

Those products were "infused" with an acrylic/plastic component under high pressure, which essentially altered the appearance of the wood as well as the abrasion resistance factor. Being an "old timer" in the biz, I remember seeing those products used heavily 20-30 years ago... but they went the way of the dinosaur because they were a) expensive, b) difficult to maintain & repair, c) unpredictable in their color consistency, and the list could go on.

This doesn't mean improvements may not have been made... but unfortunately, time is the measure of overall performance, which is what will determine whether or not the proper choice was made.

Good luck.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

IMO if you are worried go laminate there are many really great laminates from Germany that stnd up very well to kids and dogs

• PRO
    8 years ago

@Patricia Colwell...

re: "laminates"... that may be true, but often people looking for REAL hardwood flooring are disappointed if/when they make the transition to "pictures of wood on plastic". Perhaps I'm slightly biased, but considering laminate vs. hardwood is like wanting apples, and settling for oranges. (IMHO)

• R S
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Select, I agree -- I would not be happy with laminate at all. There is also a company called From the Forest (www.fromtheforest.com) that has an incredibly hard finish (I took a hammer to it and it barely made a mark!!!!), and they are American made, no added formaldehyde, and carb compliant etc.....but it has aluminum oxide in the finish -- which doesn't matter as much to me because I would never refinish the floor, I would only replace damaged planks -- but I worry about the dust from cutting the planks during installation. We won't be living in the house when the wood is installed, but I am a little concerned about dust remaining in the house long after installation. Also, if I want to replace a plank, it would need to be cut out of the floor and the dust would be in the house -- not sure if this is a valid concern, but it's on my mind.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    8 years ago

The installers should put up plastic sheeting prior to any installation of wood or prep work. They can cover cabinets, fans, lighting fixtures, painting/pictures, return air vents etc. Once installation is complete I would change your air filters. This will help reduce the amount of fine dust left over when installation is complete.
    If and when you need a board replaced, the installer should be using a shop vac during the process of removing the damaged board. The shop vac will catch most of the dust during removal. Some saw tools have attachments available to hook up a shop vac to catch the unwanted dust.

R S thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.