Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bruce_berlanstein

Our new patio and fire pit question.

We are planning a new patio to complement our recently finished walkout lower level. The patio will be bluestone with a stacked stone seating wall.

We are also considering a fire pit. Running a gas line from the house appears to be prohibitive in terms of cost and effort. We are seeking advice regarding wood burning versus propane tank fire pits. We don't know much but have concerns about smoke and pollution with wood burning units. Any suggestions including makes or other specifics would be appreciated. We live on the Southshore of Massachusettes.

Comments (4)

• roobear
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We had a similar issue, we ended up DIYing a propane gas fire pit and love it. I would not go with some of the lower end propane firepits sold at big box stores, they tend not to have a lot of BTUs. Ours cost us around $300.00 total to build with the stone, bowl, ring and connections kit/on and off key. There were a few install/building videos on youtube that were helpful in the construction of it. For the convenience of turning it off and on quickly and safely, and not having our clothes smell like smoke after use, I'm very happy. Even though it doesn't crackle much like a wood burning would, it does still have a nice ambiance, gives off some heat, and we can still roast marshmallows etc. over it. Our propane tank is hidden in one of the side tables that we built, the other table stores the covers for the chairs.

• Bruce Berlanstein
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply. Just wondering does the wire from the propane tank to the fire pit get in your way or serve as a potential tripping source? Just thinking about safety. Thanks again, Bruce

• roobear
    8 years ago

When we planned it all out, I had concerns of that too, but so far in the last three years with various backyard parties, it hasn't been an issue, the copper wire is very rigid, seems to stay flat against the ground and people walk right over it. I've considered recessing it into the patio brick or putting more bright colors (tape) around it so people can see it easier.

• printesa
    8 years ago

We have a wood burning one. We could have had gas since we have a grill close by, but we chose not to go that way...I don't remember the reason (it's been at least 6 years). Smoke can be a problem if the wood is wet. Pollution is not an issue,,you are only burning one or two small logs that are not treated with any chemicals..not rubber or who knows what else.
    I tried to find a photo, but I can only find one an older one