Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snbtwins

Garage door color, what to choose??

Snbtwins
8 years ago

Can you please help us decide what color to paint our garage doors. They are currently brown which used to match the roof, shutters and front door. When we moved in a couple of years ago, we replaced the roof (it is now grey) and the shutters and front door are now black.

What color would you paint the garage doors? We are trying to decide between the trim color, the house color or black.

I attached very rough mock up's below.

Thank you!

Comments (29)

• powermuffin
    8 years ago

i would paint them the same color as the body of house.

Snbtwins thanked powermuffin
  • mary44
    8 years ago

I agree the same color as the house. I have heard garage doors are to blend in not stand out.

Snbtwins thanked mary44
  • olychick
    8 years ago

I think the mock ups make it clear (to my eyes) that the house color is the way to go.

Snbtwins thanked olychick
  • Fori
    8 years ago

House color but you could also get away with trim color (if that's the same as the lower level of the house) as that is also kind of the body of the lower part of the house.

Not black! :)

Snbtwins thanked Fori
  • odin08075
    8 years ago

I like the black for garage doors as it coordinates with the shutters. I also like the trim color for the same reason. My last choice would be the house color.

Snbtwins thanked odin08075
  • carolt924
    8 years ago

Same as the body of the house.

Snbtwins thanked carolt924
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I was going to say house color, but now that i see the mockup, i actually like the dark color. Wouldnt go black but charcoal or some almost black. It's not like it's a black hole on the front of the house...

Just make sure nobody crashes into it.

Snbtwins thanked nosoccermom
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

House color.

Snbtwins thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

House color.

Snbtwins thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • kelleg69
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I normally don't like the garage doors to be the color of the shutters, but in this case, I kind of do like the black. I think b/c they are not on the front of the house, this works. I usually like white (trim) color garage doors best. Sometimes house color is good too. Ugh. Maybe you need an inspiration pic. I do like the black in pics above. Second choice is white (cream/trim).

Editing to say that I love carriage doors. Maybe if you don't change yours, you could add some trim or some hardware to make them more interesting. Especially if you do them in the trim color.

Snbtwins thanked kelleg69
  • chispa
    8 years ago

Trim color.

Snbtwins thanked chispa
  • Kippy
    8 years ago

I would probably do 50% lighter (or 25% darker) than the house body color so it blends but still is a little different

Snbtwins thanked Kippy
  • sableincal
    8 years ago

House color. It's the least obtrusive for a space that large. And it's a pretty color!

Snbtwins thanked sableincal
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

House, but all of them work.

Snbtwins thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • amykath
    8 years ago

I like the dark color the best!

Snbtwins thanked amykath
  • DYH
    8 years ago

House color.

If your doors will accept non-working hardware (looks like a carriage house door), you could add to dress them up a bit.

Snbtwins thanked DYH
  • Snbtwins
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone. Seems like the house color may be the winner. I will let you know how it turns out!

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i would paint a shade darker than the house color so that it is just a bit darker...

Snbtwins thanked busybee3
  • amicus
    8 years ago

I also like black, as it goes nicely with the shutters.

Snbtwins thanked amicus
  • pippiep
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We just replaced our garage doors, and a stock color happened to match our trim color nearly exactly. But, if it hadn't, we would've bought white and eventually painted it the house color.

ETA: oops, took out the comment about garage doors with windows! I forgot you are not replacing, just painting.

Snbtwins thanked pippiep
  • aputernut
    7 years ago

House color

Snbtwins thanked aputernut
  • Bunny
    7 years ago

pippiep, not to hijack or derail this thread, but I'm actually interested in your garage door with windows comment. I'm planning to replace my door with one with windows. Anything I should keep in mind?

My inclination is to go with house color to make the garage doors blend more. But I'm surprised how good they look dark (photoshopped).

Snbtwins thanked Bunny
  • Snbtwins
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We went with the house color and I love it. Here are before and after photos.

• carolt924
    7 years ago

Looks great and love seeing the flag flying...

Snbtwins thanked carolt924
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Wonderful. A big improvement.

Snbtwins thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • PLF (Middle TN, Zone 7a)
    7 years ago

I think you picked the right color. It looks great!

Snbtwins thanked PLF (Middle TN, Zone 7a)
  • K Sissy
    7 years ago

Same color as the house.

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago

nice!