Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frmrsdghtr

Bathroom remodel challenge

Janelle Van
7 years ago

We just closed on our new house last week. We need to move in, in three weeks. I also had a baby last week (#5 :). Our new house is going to be completely remodeled over the summer but is liveable right now. Except for the bathrooms. Everything is broken and rusty and leaking. So we are gutting one this week and completely redoing it so we have at least one functional bathroom when we move in. My challenge is how to pull this together. This is almost completely diy by my husband. Not a novice remodeler. But I feel a bit under the gun picking things out and I'm not up for shopping. This is my inspiration photo. I also like the super popular white bathrooms with marble but I really want a stained vanity. The vanity is being custom built and I am supposed to pick out the stain, wood and doorstyle tomorrow. I have already purchased this vanity light -

and this mirror.

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-decorative-wall-mirror-antique-wood/-/A-16631188#prodSlot=medium_1_32&term=wood+mirror

We will also have a plain old white three piece tub/shower and white toilet. Do these elements all work? How do I pull this together? Any suggestions for flooring from a big box store? I need it this week. This is one of my inspiration photos.

Coastal Ranch · More Info

I don't want to be married to beige though and don't want to go crazy rustic. Thanks for the help!

Comments (19)

• torreykm
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I like the direction you're headed - a nice blend of rustic/industrial. I'm not too keen on the tan paint color in the photo (but that's me); I lean toward cooler colors. Who will use this bathroom when the others are renovated - children/guests - or will it be your master bath?

• torreykm
    7 years ago

Here's one from Lowe's (Aspen Sunset)

• Janelle Van
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ohhh... I hadn't even considered a slate look. I like it. I like wood-look porcelain too but I'm scared of it clashing with the vanity since I won't have the vanity on hand when we do the floor. This bathroom will be for my kiddos on the upper level. It will be back to back with the master-bath and I'm thinking of picking the exact same finishes for both baths except for the shower part. Is this okay to do?

• ck_squared
    7 years ago

No, don't do that! Make the master bath special.

I like the direction you're going. Use large format tile on the floor. I like the slate that torrey posted. Slate should go with just about any stain you choose for the vanity. I'd go medium to dark with it, btw.

• Janelle Van
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh help. I can't possibly pick finishes for every room in this house. I was hoping to streamline a few :)

• Janelle Van
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It will be next to carpet (hallway). I'm back to leaning to wood look tile too. I checked out the slate tile from lowe's and they are all out of the largest ones - which is what I would want to use. Plus it's more limiting. Do you know what brand you used? I want to steer clear of any red in woods - just not my style. Thanks for the help and encouragement with my choices :)

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Not at all. I was being honest all the way too:)

Now the brand..we picked it in a small local store-but within couple of years we saw it in Home Depot too. I remember going back between two colors-and picking Cashew, the lighter one. No red in it whatsoever. Now as i write it I remember the line too..Botanica:) Now I just need to remember the manufacturer. Off to googling;)

(But really a lot is available. I went for the most non-slippery one. But I didn't want too rustic too. So I was down to this Botanica line..)

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

..OK that was real fast.

Here it is. They have two colors: Teak and Cashew. No red in both. I preferred teak..went with cashew because our builder vanities are really light-something like pickled oak. Teak would be OK too; but my husband was wary of too high contrast

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MS-International-Botanica-Teak-6-in-x-24-in-Glazed-Porcelain-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-10-sq-ft-case-NBOTTEK6X24/203168465

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I love your inspiration picture! Totally the direction I want to go when I remodel my master bath. Are you going with a white marble tile backsplash? With a plank wall? Or just the rustic style cabinet? I'm having the same dilemma, because if I do wood cabinet with a lot of grain, I'm worried about it clashing with the flooring. Plus I have reddish oak wainscotting in my bathroom and I don't like reddish tones woods all that much. But I think I am going to paint the wainscotting white. It's nothing special. I'm going to save your photo to show my SO. With the taupe wall color he might just go for it! It can certainly be dressed up or down with a wide variety of accents as the years go by. Please keep us posted, I am so excited to see what you come up with. And hats off too you for the ambition.

With the flooring, I guess if you go with wood look flooring, it might be OK as long as the wood stain is the same tone in both cases, either brownish or greyish. I think you'd get into trouble if one was reddish and one was brownish or greyish, but what do I know. I love the slate look stuff too. A lot depends on the stain you pick for the vanity. Are you thinking to go brown like the inspiration picture or blackish? Or greyish. I might start with the floor, go with something that can be skewed a couple of different ways, then pick a stain for the cabinets to go with that. I had a grey slate-look vinyl tile in my last bathroom--loved it for the flexibility it had with going with a lot of different colors and also didn't show dirt IMMEDIATELY the way a solid or lighter floor might have.

• torreykm
    7 years ago

I'm with ck-squared. Do something different for your master. Look on Houzz and Pinterest for ideas; maybe you'll be able to put some things together without running all over town. And - congratulations on the newest addition to your family.

• Janelle Van
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! Pinkmountain - I plan to do the marble backsplash and a true brown vanity stain I think. Not sure on the plank wall. I do like the look though. Maybe we'll put that in the master to make it a little different. I will post a pic when finished. I'll probably posting for a lot of help on here. Next up the exterior. It needs help! :)

• bobjax
    7 years ago

If you are gutting, consider changing the waste arms behind the sink, in the wall. Major source of leaks in old homes. As things go the leak happens once you are totally finished with your project and are patting yourself on the back for how great it looks. Insurance paid for my damage however, and I ended up with a new floor out of that deal.

• dedtired
    7 years ago

Be sure that whatever tile you get for the floor, it is not slippery when wet. I prefer smaller tiles with more grout to avoid slipperiness.

You deserve a medal for popping out baby #5 and a new bathroom within a couple weeks of each other -- and moving?? How are you doing it? Post a picture -- I think you are Wonder Woman. Good luck. BTW -- boy or girl?

• prairiemom61
    7 years ago

Walnut stain works well, a nice dark brown, no red. And my sister just got the wood look vinyl planks in her very elegant bedroom, looks terrific. And non slip.

A nice gray wall paint like sherwin Williams Repose Gray or Knitting needles would look nice with the walnut vanity and looks stunning with chrome fixtures like your vanity light. Are you aware your inspiration pic has all black or oil rubbed bronze fixtures and door hardware? If you truly like that look then trade in your chrome vanity light, or save it for your master bath redo.

The dark fixtures might hold up a little better (no worries about keeping it shiny) in the kids' bathroom.

And a huge congrats on your new babe!!

• Janelle Van
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I actually wasn't going to do any dark fixtures. I'm loosely basing my choices on my inspiration pic. My hubby doesn't think he wants a wood look floor :(. He thinks we are going to have too much wood going on. I don't think that's possible!

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I'm on the fence about wood grain floor and wood grain cabinets, and in my case, wood grain wainscotting. But I'm also leery of too much marbling making it look like a mausoleum. It will be interesting to see what way you end up going!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I like master bathrooms in watery colors. This is you escape room! A place for a nice soak in the tub one the children are all down. Think of being underwater in the Bahamas and choose a color that feels that way.